Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Next question

Why? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Next question

Why? :)

Why not ?

I don't have controls on my steering wheel so now I don't need to stretch my arm to change volume.

Prior to Volvo I had Civic and it had controls on radio designed for RHS cars so I get used to it.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭cletus

Yesterday I replaced the starter motor in my Avensis.

Today I brought it for it's NCT. It failed, but only on a visual (water in rear lamps) I'll pull them and reseal tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Why not ?

I don't have controls on my steering wheel so now I don't need to stretch my arm to change volume.

Prior to Volvo I had Civic and it had controls on radio designed for RHS cars so I get used to it.

Tom

Ah, was wondering. I assumed they all had wheel controls.
    It’s nice to be able to do little things like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Why not ?

Tom

Are steering wheel controls possible to retrofit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

commited wrote: »
    Are steering wheel controls possible to retrofit?

It is but Volvo being Volvo all is coded (even mirrors are coded to VIN) so changing steering wheel plus visit to Volvo authorized dealer to charge 100+ euros to code it in.

My option was cheaper.

@colm_mcm
    My is the lowest trim even if logbook shows R Design.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Farewell to vintage OZ King wheels:

1oz-phm.jpg

2oz-phm.jpg

Hello again to factory wheels:

3t-phm.jpg

4t-phm.jpg

I think I'll put OZ's up for sale, would be nice for some classic yoke, what's your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭traco

Not today, started Friday evening and wrapped up yesterday afternoon. Still not finished. Probably another 2 hours or so to get it buttoned back up.

24 new plugs, sounds simple but not really. Engine mounts are on the way out so engine is a little low and back so coil packs wouldn't clear at the rear. Problem was now that with insulators stuck on the plugs and not in the packs its impossible to put the packs back in. At that point I seriously regretted starting teh job so downed tools and went home.

So driving home and thinking about the problem I figured I'd end up having to lift the engine up and forward a little. Started that Saturday morning and it might have moved around 6/7mm but that was enough. Packs came out but loads of insulators were damaged and broken so loads of fun trying to remove them from as they tore and broke and generally were a right pain.

Plugs were foul so the job needed doing. Also one plug on cylinder 3 was arcing as the insulator had broken down completely. I can't say I noticed a misfire but I'm raging I didn't run an ignition scan before doing the job to see if it was a regular issue.

Anyway nothing more can be done now until I get 24 new insulators from Merc next week and hopefully it goes back together without any drama.

50179666931_eed3d36c3f_c.jpg

50179232133_5cc2b41bed_c.jpg

50179666971_443a0b3ca2_c.jpg

50179919802_3f40283391_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Can anyone tell me what this is please? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

a rather old brake disc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Cheensbo wrote: »
    a rather old brake disc

Thank you sir

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Stainless from DPF back put together and fitted late last night.

The neighbours are gonna love me.

C56-F7-A01-9-F00-4-DA7-839-B-32-D091270-FE4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Stainless from DPF back put together and fitted late last night.

The neighbours are gonna love me.

C56-F7-A01-9-F00-4-DA7-839-B-32-D091270-FE4.jpg

Just did a little drive by. Very quiet with low RPM but noticeable difference when you give it a little throttle. It’s just right. The tractor noise is gone, sounds more like a petrol and not a 3 litre diesel.

https://youtu.be/A8yWi0_zISM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Can anyone tell me what this is please? Thanks

Bloody hell somebody was driving with bad rear brakes,i do hope everything was checked when fitting discs and pads.:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

The £1700 225bhp TT requried some maintenance.

I dont have the luxury of a inspection pit in the UK so I made do with a set of car ramps and a large sheet of cardboard to allow an oil and filter change (5W30 fully synch VW507 spec). The previous owner was a bit of an enthusiast so thankfully that was all it needed (spark plugs and airfilter were replaced at the last service).

522572.jpg

522574.jpg

Front brake pads warning was intermitted since well before COVID. I had a quick look at the time there appeared to be plenty of pad left but there was fraying on the sensor cable on the pad itself. Got a set of Brembo pads from a motor factors here on offer (£28quid!). Safe to say they were badly needed inside pad was well worn, decent amount of pad on the outside. Cleaned and lubed up the guide pins while I was at it with suitable brake grease.

522573.jpg

522575.jpg

522576.jpg

I have a Haldex filter and oil but my copy of VCDS is the free version so I cant cycle the "cargo pump" to see it its working and engages the clutch on the haldex unit. So I will have to test the car in an empty car park to see if the car engages the rear diff when required. Reason being if the pump has failed the oil has to be drained to faciliate its removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

Goodbye run flats. Hello standard. Should have done it last year. Some difference in fairness.

522730.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Yesterday I lubed the throttle linkage, the cable operates a series of links and ball joints, about 10. Seems overly complicated to me but I'm sure they had their reasons not to just run the cable all the way. I unpopped them and gave everything a good clean before applying new grease.

Before
    linkage-1.jpg

After
    linkage-2.jpg

I damaged a spark plug thread about 2 weeks ago, full details here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058101325

I used this ingenious tool to fix it, so putting here if anyone should be a careless as me in the future!
    https://www.vinnybyrne.com/reverse-action-spark-plug-thread-chaser-14mm-html-9398.html

Finally, sorting through my spanners, as you do, I noticed this for the first time! A little juvenile I know :)

spanner.jpg

EDIT just noticed the word England on the spanner, I assumed it may have come from a non English speaking country and the name was lost in translation.

No, it's an English company aright. https://www.kingdicktools.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Dick is a name but I doubt anybody would be calling their son that any more at least. Some slaggings in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

AFAIK king dick tools have a good rep all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Yes whitworth spanners and not a nut to find.

• Advertisement

Friday night, Saturday nothing on Sunday apart from feeling sorry for myself.

Cleaned the coil packs and prepped for reinstall Friday night. Managed to get the most difficult pack into place and almost all the way home with maybe 2-3mm on the rear to close. Ran in a bolt, gentle twist and spin!! Pulled it out and remnants on a heli coil attached. Checked some others and similar or stripped by someone at some point in its history. Drivers side no better.

Pull coil packs back out and only one thing for it valve covers off and to machine shop to try and get a proper repair with inserts. This means removing the inter-coolers which involves draining circuit and also dropping some of the engine coolant circuit for the covers to clear.

Nothing is simple on this thing :(

Handed covers to a machine shop after cleaning them for the pros to do this once and do it right - fingers crossed!

50241358846_a0067193f9_c.jpg

50240714398_63c3b6ee69_c.jpg

50241358526_83eb24ccc0_c.jpg

50244947931_52447fd250_c.jpg

50244938881_503c4901e9_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Great posts Traco always interesting I remember years ago their was some great posters here like Matt Simis and Voodoomelon who's still here but like yourself serious lads at DIY! Then you had the Pidgeon who thought nothing of stripping a engine after his Dinner and having it ready for the morning commute....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

dgt he was called back then. :D

Truckermal wrote: »
    Great posts Traco always interesting I remember years ago their was some great posters here like Matt Simis and Voodoomelon who's still here but like yourself serious lads at DIY! Then you had the Pidgeon who thought nothing of stripping a engine after his Dinner and having it ready for the morning commute....:D

Interesting or stupid??? I think its a very fine line :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

traco wrote: »
    Interesting or stupid??? I think its a very fine line :cool:

Definitely not stupid I love this stuff especially knowing the fact if I attempted it the catastrophe that would follow.....:P

Definitely not stupid I love this stuff especially knowing the fact if I attempted it the catastrophe that would follow.....:P

Catastrophe seems to be the only show in town with this thing at the moment. Its fairly clear now why people don't want them. Its a phenomenal engine but its complex and space is limited.

I'm taking this my duty to get this back to what it should be as lets face it engines such as these are for the history books.

Even Merc stopped with this and went back to V8's for their performance AMG machines. Yet its easy to see why Pagani chose it. It's relatively light at 270kg and with a simple ecu mod can push 600bhp. Get a bit mad and mid 700's is possible, and if you go nuts there are a few in the US pushing out circa 1000.

Merc restricted them with the base tune so as not to be as powerful as the Maybach at the time. The other reason for restriction was to save the gearbox. Merc had moved to the 7 speeds but the engine just ate them for breakfast so they stuck with the 5 speed and restricted the torque to give it a chance.

It is one of the great engines out there even if I curse the designers, anyone that has previously worked on it, myself for being stupid enough to buy it etc etc

Anyway - progress has slowed due to parts at present. Most things have to come from the mothership in Germany. I have a little oil on the passenger turbo intake side so that needs investigation. No doubt I shall find something there to amuse me for hours to come.

I've also just been offered a fairly loaded CL500 for a stonking deal in the UK. Do I really need another money pit??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Was doing some tidying and came across a set of Nightbreakers in my tool chest which I never used I think it must of been about 4 years ago I bought them. So since my newly acquired Octavia has Halogen headlights I figured I would put them into it. I know currently Nightbreakers are a few versions up on these unlimited version ones but since I had them already made sense to use them even if current versions are better now.

523688.jpg

Before
    523689.jpg

After not sure how well the photo shows it but the light is a little brighter and whiter.
    523690.jpg

I will be interested to see how long these last for the last ones I used several years ago at this stage lasted a year.

dgt he was called back then. :D

Sure he started this thread all those years ago when the forum was a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Only a week after I bought the Alfa GT I realized the windscreen washer wasn't working.

Couldn't hear the pump, but some water was sprayed on occasionally so it wasn't the pump.

Quick look under the bonnet:

523920.jpg

A genius, there was a sellotape under the green tape. Genius.

Design fault imo, it just appears to be too long, but God know what was done with it before:

523921.jpg

Well, I thought that was the issue:

523922.jpg

And the below perhaps?

523923.jpg

No, not the reason at all :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

After cutting off leaking part I found the washers still can't spray it ...

I like that connector:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=523930&stc=1&d=1598131393

I don't like this - no water coming out:

523929.jpg

Another thing that won't let any water out:

523929.jpg

All it takes is moving it around a bit, no time for figuring this one out:

523931.jpg

Job done:

523932.jpg

Temporary fix, but I rather cut a bit than put a tape over it.

Will do proper job on it later :D

Advertisement