Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laura Whitmore - British Army

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,353 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I have no idea who LW is/was/will be . And frankly my dear after that shyte I don't give a damn

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Edgware wrote: »
    She will be fine after a good crying session with Ryan Turniphead on the Late Late show

Most definitely. Her agent will have her out giving the usual tick the boxes

-Bullying
    -Death Threats
    -Mental Health
    -Misogyny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Bowie wrote: »

mel-b.jpg

Pretty sure this is considered racist now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I'm certainly no fan of the British Army's history but the issue with the tweet is hardly simply that the writer has an issue with the B.A. "Go kill yourself" - I mean really.

And I thought before I read the full story that she had said she wished she had been in the British army or something, the way people are going on.

Some arsehole on twitter and Johnny uses it to turn the discussion to SF. Obsessed.
    She made an arse of herself shilling for the BA. Not the biggest deal. If she had a bigger gap between that and the John Hume one it might have slipped by unnoticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I'm certainly no fan of the British Army's history but the issue with the tweet is hardly simply that the writer has an issue with the B.A. "Go kill yourself" - I mean really.

And I thought before I read the full story that she had said she wished she had been in the British army or something, the way people are going on.

Certain people on here have an irrational hatred of anything British.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Yet they'll probably support an English football team or listen to British artist

Irrational, depends on the context. If you're being carpet bombed while sitting in school for instance.
    You mean the world wide web. It was a tweet. Pretty sure the Mods wouldn't allow such a post.
    Wont do her any harm, she'll get great mileage now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yvan eht nioj

But it doesn't mean anything. It's like "rama-lama-ding-dong" or "give peace a chance."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

She's gotten quite a lot of irrational hate on boards in recent years and I've wondered why but this British Army thing in almost the same breath as John Hume is just tone deaf. The 'empowering women' thing she used as a shield to deflect legitimate criticism is bollocks too.

The social media pile-ons are pretty cowardly though, she wasn't loading rifles for the Paratroopers on Bloody Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,962 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Laura Britmore!

LOL

• Advertisement

She's gotten quite a lot of irrational hate on boards in recent years and I've wondered why but this British Army thing in almost the same breath as John Hume is just tone deaf. The 'empowering women' thing she used as a shield to deflect legitimate criticism is bollocks too.

The social media pile-ons are pretty cowardly though, she wasn't loading rifles for the Paratroopers on Bloody Sunday.

Yes. I've seen her name pop up a few times. She did well for herself and fair play. The problem is she's a light entertainment presenter trying to hashtag hard news. She made a balls of it. I doubt she'd any idea anyone would get annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

She’s a bit of a sort, in fairness, as her fellow Brits would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

My gut reaction was ...hmm don't know who she is but now i don't like her. But whatever ..i think its the gut reaction of most irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Some say she rose again...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Part of the Brit establishment now, one of the "good Paddies"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Genuinely never heard of her

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Genuinely never heard of her

Well, now you have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Acosta

Herself and her fella came across as fairly unlikeable in Celeb Gogglebox.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

She gets a lot of hate in the UK press and Irish people don't seem to take to her either. It's probably more about the culture of celebrity and the inane, fickle programmes she's been associated with more than anything else. I'm a Celebrity, Love Island etc.

This BA thing is particularly tone deaf, I guess it just exposes the hashtag ad and hashtag spon culture of celebrity where they'll do anything for a quick buck and exercise no real critical thinking on what they're actually advocating and supporting at all. The glibness of a chirpy woke #girlpower podcast sponsored by one of the most destructive armed forces in the world, a day after a "thoughts and prayers" tweet for a man that devoted his life to facing down that same army...and then not acknowledging the tone-deafness, because it clearly wasn't intentional, but defending it because "feminism is important" is just essentially doubling down on the level of crassness and insult of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ToTheSea

Sorry for the long post, but I feel pretty strongly about this !!

Very tone-deaf on Laura's part and even worst when challenged on it, she goes back to the listen to the podcast, an important conversation to have, people, will understand when they listen etc.

Well, I listened to the podcast and while yes it is an important conversation that is worthy of having. However, that does not take away from the fact she is an Irish person (and probably one of better known Irish heads in the British media thanks to Love Island/I'm a Celeb) being involved with what is essentially a recruitment campaign to get young women into the army. Her involvement meant she was promoting the BA on social media, using #ArmyJobs and #ArmyConfidence, both of which the army have used in their own PR stuff. The podcast is promoted on the Army Jobs Facebook page, with a link to the Army website where the podcast is available and it is also available on Spotify, complete with army branding :eek::eek:

Seriously how did she think her involvement in that would go down with her fellow Irish?
    Like it would go down like a lead balloon at the best of times, let alone the week that John Hume has passed, a man that was a victim of the same army she's now promoting and their violence.

I found some interesting points were raised in this Twitter thread

I would be in agreement with the thread, while I grew up in the Republic, I have a family in the North and I was a baby when a family member was killed thanks to British bullets.

The abuse she is getting is completely uncalled for and bang out of order.
    She is also getting some legitimate criticism. She heard the topic of the podcast and went Oh yeah that sounds good. Obviously the British Army connection was an oversight on Laura's part. However, she needs to accept that this hasn't gone down well, rather than hiding behind this "feminism is important" stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Limeys pay well it seems, she is minted.

She is a while on twitter though so must have realised by now its a cesspit of hate and getting trolled is part of the deal if she doesn't want to switch her account to private.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

She will love the attention from it. Wasn't she crying crocodile tears for the presenter whole commited suicide, even though she took her job before it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Limpy wrote: »
    She will love the attention from it. Wasn't she crying crocodile tears for the presenter whole commited suicide, even though she took her job before it.

Sadly some see nothing wrong with being ruthless when it comes to getting what they want. People like her are ten a penny, trading on their looks, with someone younger and better looking always nipping at their heels. Courting fame comes at a huge cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

gmisk wrote: »
    I was wondering why she was trending on twitter....
    Story below...what an eejit...she posted it just after before a message about John Humes passing....

https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/05/laura-whitmore-denies-recruiting-british-army-backlash-podcast-promo-13087116/

Here's a quote out of that from some óinseach I never heard of and a reply by another one:

"And after author Roisin Kelly responded: ‘If only more women soldiers had been sent into Northern Ireland!!’, the Love Island host tweeted: ‘Every industry and body is bettered by equality and a balance of all sexes x"

If only less women prime ministers had anything to do with Northern Ireland! Some gligeens can't talk about the price of sheep in Listowel now without bringing gender into it.

feargale wrote: »
    Here's a quote out of that from some óinseach I never heard of and a reply by another one:

"And after author Roisin Kelly responded: ‘If only more women soldiers had been sent into Northern Ireland!!’, the Love Island host tweeted: ‘Every industry and body is bettered by equality and a balance of all sexes x"

If only less women prime ministers had anything to do with Northern Ireland! Some gligeens can't talk about the price of sheep in Listowel now without bringing gender into it.

Like Mother Earth Thatcher was. Peace and love befell everyone who was fortunate enough to be in her presence ;)
    These yahoos should quit hashtagging on things they've vague memories of skimming over in school.

Some of the responses were great. Just had a read. What a buffoon your wan Kelly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

osarusan wrote: »
    Never heard of either of them, happily.

You never heard of either John Hume or the British Army? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I'd still ride her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I'd still ride her.

But try not to enjoy it too much

It always comes back to the hanging muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,947 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Most definitely. Her agent will have her out giving the usual tick the boxes

-Bullying
    -Death Threats
    -Mental Health
    -Misogyny

Yes, but aren't these worthy of debate, or do you want to accept to live in a world, where someone you disagree with is told to go 'Kill Themselves' on Twitter?

The woman has free agency and answers to no one, especially not mealy-mouthed shinner types. There is a lot of misogyny displayed right on this very thread by the usual SF supporters crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

You don’t have to be a shinner (I’m most certainly not) to have a problem with what she did and said.

You can also disagree with what she said and have a problem with people telling her to go and kill herself.

Advertisement