Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Little Miss Fairy

Friend just sent me a pic from their caravan. Had it booked since last Summer. She said it’s like a Fr. Ted sequel as it hasn’t stopped raining. Misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Gardner

oldfella wrote: »
    hi ..im looking for somewhere to stay in the tramore/dunmore east region in mid august .prefer hotel ..touring around during day,,no kids .any recommendations from anyone ....thanks

Tramore is a kip. Haven Hotel in Dunmore only job. Dunmore is a beautiful village.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Friend just sent me a pic from their caravan. Had it booked since last Summer. She said it’s like a Fr. Ted sequel as it hasn’t stopped raining. Misery.

Ive been getting a few pics like that from friends on holiday in West Cork at the moment. Looks miserable. Weather supposed to pick up at the weekend. But they are coming home Friday.
    He said the week cost then €1200 and 90% of it has been looking out at the rain.
    His wife said "we'll make the best of the weather" before they left. She looks so miserable in the pics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

We've a few nights away booked later in the month and I'm wondering what we're going to do in the hotel each evening if the bars are closed. We'll be eating out etc but I'm thinking now we won't have much to do once we are finished our dinner. I wouldn't mind having a couple of drinks each evening especially if there's some sport on TV.

Are people experiencing hotel bars to be strict with the guidelines so far on your trips around Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

The hotel we are in currently does serve drink at the bar, but is strictly residents only in the hotel. We are travelling with a toddler so it's a glass of wine on the veranda for us every night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Myself and the partner have been doing the coastline since last week. We started off in Dublin then went along coast to wicklow, wexford, Waterford, Cork, kerry, Clare, staying in locations along the way and our last stop is doolin/inisheer tomorrow night. We've been pretty lucky with the weather except 2 days that weren't great at all but we had booked indoor activities to do the days that were lashing.

I have to say we've had an amazing time. It is def more expensive than flying off to Spain etc but to be honest we've some of the most beautiful spots in Ireland to visit and I'm glad we've done it.

I “staycation” every year. Can’t wait til everyone ****s back off to Spain so I can do it again in the near future. Poxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

Our staycation has gone better then expected.

We were thinking of renting somewhere in West for week but in the end decided to spend money on nice hotel for 2 nights stay on East Coast + do day trips instead.

Thank f$$k we did. Kerry nearly washed away when we were away but we had lovely weather here on East Coast for those few days. Also great to be pampered in hotel as sick of eating at home.

Got to visit great places in Dublin & Wicklow + have really enjoyed it. No the weather was not 'summer holiday ' but we knew that + adapted.

Would I do it again next year, no id prefer my week in Italy but it was better than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We decided to leave our caravan at Fanore this year. Its literally the same campsite where they filmed that FR Ted episode. It’s an hour drive from our home in Ennis but we went up every weekend since the lockdown rules allowed it, and am spending the 2 weeks here for my annual leave. There’s loads to do unless the weather is as bad as it has been the last few weeks, in which case it’s boiling the kettle and playing hide and seek most of the time

You can swim in the sea if it’s raining, but the wind and driving rain make it dangerous and unpleasant.
    If it’s just damp and showery you can still get out most of the time. It’s just a matter of putting on your wet gear and making the most of it as best you can

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

tom1ie wrote: »
    Hi guys, we are heading to Sligo and looking for a few recommendations for restaurants.
    Also can anyone recommend somewhere in either longford or Mullingar to break up the trip and get a nice lunch (rather not go to a service station).
    Thanks all.

Nothing in Longford worth stopping for.
    Park Hotel, Danny Byrnes, Greville Arms, Red Earth in Mullingar
    Or if you are willing to divert slightly,could try Nanny Quinn’s at Canal Harbour Thomastown Killucan or Rustic Inn Canal Harbour Abbeyshrule

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

nc6000 wrote: »
    We've a few nights away booked later in the month and I'm wondering what we're going to do in the hotel each evening if the bars are closed. We'll be eating out etc but I'm thinking now we won't have much to do once we are finished our dinner. I wouldn't mind having a couple of drinks each evening especially if there's some sport on TV.

Are people experiencing hotel bars to be strict with the guidelines so far on your trips around Ireland?

Been to two hotels. Both were serving residents with table service and all other guidelines followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Did 4 nights in Cork City over the weekend, forcast said 2 of the days would be bad but ended up the weather was amazing and only rained on check out.

Hotel was grand, you ask when you want room to be cleaned

Usually you book dinner but we were eating early (around 5 or 6 because of small kids) so didn't need to book

we booked pool in advance so had our slots, im not sure what the limit of people were but there was only around 7 or 8 in the pool at one time which was great, other times we had it to ourselves.

Did Fota island, Air tastic and walked the kids to Fitzgerald park, all were great fun, was meant to go whale watching in east cork but we cancelled because of predicted weather forecast, which im annoyed at now because the day we were meant to go ended up being amazing and humback whales were found on the trip!!!

if I got the weather like that every time a staycation wouldn't bother me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

mossy464 wrote: »
    Been to two hotels. Both were serving residents with table service and all other guidelines followed.

Same. It's actually very pleasant and relaxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Hi guys, we are heading to Sligo and looking for a few recommendations for restaurants.
    Also can anyone recommend somewhere in either longford or Mullingar to break up the trip and get a nice lunch (rather not go to a service station).
    Thanks all.

Coxs steakhouse in Drumod
    Landmark in Carrick
    Mullingar Park hotel
    Red Earth is ok, it's on the far side of Mullingar town from the road to Sligo though

Looks like nice weather for the next week.
    Might be the time to do a staycation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rainbow76

Had a week booked in kenmare from tomorrow but can’t go as waiting second covid test. Raging as fully paid for

rainbow76 wrote: »
    Had a week booked in kenmare from tomorrow but can’t go as waiting second covid test. Raging as fully paid for

Thats a pity.
    At least you are doing the right thing staying home until you get the results.
    Phone the hotel and tell them you are having the test and you will be down if its negative. They might give you money back for first few days or the whole lot even.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rainbow76

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Thats a pity.
    At least you are doing the right thing staying home until you get the results.
    Phone the hotel and tell them you are having the test and you will be down if its negative. They might give you money back for first few days or the whole lot even.
    It’s a holiday home, to be fair they re advertised and if it’s taken they will refund. They were quite relaxed saying to come down seen as the first result was negative. But not a hope, I’d be too uneasy in case it’s a false negative and the public health nurse said same. So we are following hse rules when you are close contact. By next Saturday it will be 14 days from contact and will have second test done so we can staycate in our back garden until then!

It’s a holiday home, to be fair they re advertised and if it’s taken they will refund. They were quite relaxed saying to come down seen as the first result was negative. But not a hope, I’d be too uneasy in case it’s a false negative and the public health nurse said same. So we are following hse rules when you are close contact. By next Saturday it will be 14 days from contact and will have second test done so we can staycate in our back garden until then!

Very sorry to hear that.

I think you are doing the right thing though. I guess you dont want to be caught miles from home if it is positive. What do you do? Drive home with the family when your stay is over, maybe exposing them. It would be tough.

Ask them will they give you a discount if you book again. Might work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I know (well, I hope!) that boards isn't representative of the population in general, but can I just say how refreshing it is to read of someone acting willingly and responsibly in accordance with public health advice.

Fair play!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

giggs76 wrote: »
    i love to visit other places in Ireland but the crazy prices of the hotels put a halt to any overnight stays

Yeah, the average low price bnbs in Kerry are 100pp ATM. Hotels I'd guess 100-150+.
    I know tis good to get away but... a thought... there usually is some relatively interesting stuff within short car journeys that might not
    have occurred to you such as grand houses, breweries, historical sites, activities,places,walks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sooty1

Thanks all.

Carrick on Shannon would be a good stop - lovely walk along the Shannon, BR Bistro very good for food - up on Main Street and very well laid out with current restrictions in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

just thought i'd say fair play for doing the honourable thing as we all know people who'd go regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Live around the Burren. Based on the tourist activity around here, I won't take the risk. Not a chance anyone is adhering to the 14 day quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

What's Glendalough like these days? Is it packed with tourists? I was thinking of walking a few of the trails round it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

sooty1 wrote: »
    Carrick on Shannon would be a good stop - lovely walk along the Shannon, BR Bistro very good for food - up on Main Street and very well laid out with current restrictions in place.

The harbour in Drumod is also a nice spot for a picnic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kattunge

Having a staycation in my back garden this weekend. With this glorious weather I’m imagining I’m in Provence.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Irish_rat wrote: »
    What's Glendalough like these days? Is it packed with tourists? I was thinking of walking a few of the trails round it.

Was there about 2 weeks ago. It was busy enough. The walks are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭fits

We are just back from kerry after a ten night stay in an Airbnb. Paid 120 a night for accommodation. Swam every day but one. The weather was nearly tropical. Really heavy rain and then sunshine. Didn’t stop us getting to the beach. I’m feeling edgy today without my swim.

It was really great. Already booked in for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dingdangdoo22

fits wrote: »
    We are just back from kerry after a ten night stay in an Airbnb. Paid 120 a night for accommodation. Swam every day but one. The weather was nearly tropical. Really heavy rain and then sunshine. Didn’t stop us getting to the beach. I’m feeling edgy today without my swim.

It was really great. Already booked in for next year.

Can ya post a link to the accom ?

Advertisement