Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Harry's Garage: Gordon Murray reveals T.50 supercar

• 05-08-2020 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭

Just saw this last night, was glued to the screen for 53 minutes!

I'm in two minds over it though. As great as it is, it seems to be just a copy of the F1, I wonder what Ron Dennis, Mansour Ojjeh and the rest of McLaren think of this and how Murray seems to be speaking as though he created the F1 on his own, and has the IP for it (maybe he does, I don't know, I'm sure he cleared these issues).

Anyway, enjoy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I wonder what Ron Dennis, Mansour Ojjeh and the rest of McLaren think of this and how Murray seems to be speaking as though he created the F1 on his one, and has the IP for it (maybe he does, I don't know, I'm sure he cleared these issues).

This, im currently reaching the end of the video and cant believe how many times iv heard Murray say 'I did this that and the other because I thought it was the right thing to do'. Its all me me me with him. The car is essentially a modern version of the F1. The way he goes on you'd get the impression he literally designed and built the entire car himself with no help, I recall one bit in the video where he mentioned the team behind the car. He really seems like a guy who enjoys being pandered to.

I absolutely love Harry's garage and Harrys Farm btw. Im a city boy and would barely know hay from straw but after watching Harry's farm im now asking my father in law what sort of yield he is getting from his barely in terms of tonne per acre. lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

No wing mirrors?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

No wing mirrors?

Found them, interior wing mirrors, interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Found them, interior wing mirrors, interesting.
    Did you get to the bit about the fan producing 50kgs of trust yet :)

Did you get to the bit about the fan producing 50kgs of trust yet :)

I work with airplane engines, that's not that exciting for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

He did talk about himself a lot. But I think the resemblance to the F1 is not entirely down to it just being a new F1. If what he says about it being built as the best drivers car and nothing else, then the shape may be predominantly dictated by aerodynamics. Aerodynamics don't change, so what was aerodynamic then is still today.
    The engine is looking like a masterpiece. Cosworth are pure genius.
    I like Harry's Garage, Carfection too, I'm going to watch their take on it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

It really is an F1 2.0. which is no bad thing. As he described there is so much more they can now do that was impossible back then. It's light, NA, manual, entirely engineering focused, and with a typical Murray approach to doing what works. I also love how he derides the absurdity of fashion including big wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The fan ruins the look of the rear for me. Looks great otherwise.

There is a lot going on with this car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I love Gordons back to basics analog approach. Big wins for me are that its 986kg with an na engine, manual box and no touch screens.

I just wonder if it will create too much grip. Sometimes a less grippy setup (GT86 approach) might be more fun.

A new video of him talking to Chris Harris here also:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I've mine ordered anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I watched the Carfection video on the car last night, a lot of it the same, but a few more details. The engine response time is 28,000rpm per second (roughly, forget the exact numbers). Meaning it can reach its 10,000rpm rev limiter in around a third of a second 😨
    Costs around 2.3 million exc taxes 😨😨

Advertisement