Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 superbike prices

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Also, this is probably an unpopular opinion on here but, threaded BB's on Carbon frames can be garbage. They're bonded in and can, in some instances, come away from the frame as the frame is Carbon with an aluminium insert.

That's the theory, but the practice is that inserts coming away from frames is rare, but poor build quality on press fit bottom bracket shells means that endless fiddling trying to find the right combination bottom bracket and retaining compound is quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I don't think so. The component manufacturers are the ones doing the R&D, Bike manufactures are glorified assemblers.

Eh they manufacture the frames which need the R&D, this costs money. To call them glorified assemblers is too generic for all manufacturers, some of them do lot of developing, might not always be the best development but regardless this costs money

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

That's the theory, but the practice is that inserts coming away from frames is rare, but poor build quality on press fit bottom bracket shells means that endless fiddling trying to find the right combination bottom bracket and retaining compound is quite common.

I'd have more confidence with bike manufacturers to create a press fit bb than a bonded insert for a threaded bb and that's not saying much.

You'll have the same issues with threaded. Misalignment, creaking, concentric etc. Everyone seems to remember great things about threaded BB's all because we mostly rode them growing up. Next to all of these were in alu or steel frames where the formation of the ope for the BB was and still is much easier than the formation of the same ope in carbon. The bearing seats are machined out on alu and steel while carbon is created with the seats which leads to issues.

That's not even getting into the fact that you may have a 386 crank. As standard most threaded BB's are Ø24mm with 68mm width. You now need adaptors/spacers for the length as well as a specific bottom bracket.

The problem isn't the fact that specialized and trek are going back to threaded, although I personally have issues with it, It's the fact that there are so many "standards" of bottom bracket. BSA, ITA, BB30, PF30, BB386 Evo, BB86, BB92, OSBB, SRAM DUB, T47.

Every single one claim to be better than the last and now all of a sudden we're back where we more or less started and apparently that's part of the R&D we're having to fork out for? Are they going to turn around in a year or two and tell us that square taper bottom brackets, light bikes and skinny tires are all faster?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Everyone seems to remember great things about threaded BB's all because we mostly rode them growing up.

They're not that ancient. There's loads of people (me included) riding bikes with threaded BB shells. I know it's anecdotal evidence but it's anecdotal evidence based on current experience rather than nostalgia.

For me anyway, nobody has yet improved on Ultra-Torque. I'd say it's around 14 years old now. Cups you rarely, if ever have to replace. Bearings last an age. Single bolt crank mounting. A doddle to swap between bikes.

Advertisement