Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas 2020 Checklist

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Loughc wrote: »
    One the upside the run in to Christmas does seem to be moving alot quicker this year, with little to no distinct events all the weeks seems to be running into each other, resulting in a quicker moving off-season or so it feels for me anyway.

Same for me. Was awhile there telling the day apart was hard enough let alone the weeks :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Was told by my neighbours daughter (she works in Dunnes) that the tubs of QS/Celebrations & heroes are due in their next delivery & should be on sale after the bank holiday weekend if not sooner. Were they this early the last few years? Vaguely remember mentioning it here before previously but thought it was later in the year, end of August/September perhaps.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    Was told by my neighbours daughter (she works in Dunnes) that the tubs of QS/Celebrations & heroes are due in their next delivery & should be on sale after the bank holiday weekend if not sooner. Were they this early the last few years? Vaguely remember mentioning it here before previously but thought it was later in the year, end of August/September perhaps.

Thought it was later August last year myself.

Slightly unrelated however I'd say a lot of shops (especially the ones that had to close) will move everything forward a bit and have constant sales, back to school, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, straight into Christmas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,172 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In my experience it’s generally later in August they get them.
    However last year they had them the same weekend Brown Thomas Opened there Christmas shop!

• Advertisement

Thought it was later August last year myself.

That was my recollection also.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Argos Autumn/Winter catalogue
    August Bank Holiday
    Brown Thomas Christmas Shop
    Schools return
    Late Late Show returns
    Tubs of sweets arrive
    Strictly Come Dancing
    100 days to go
    Smyth's and Boots catalogue
    Halloween HQ open stores
    Gift sets/Wrapping Paper/etc. begin to appear in shops
    Christmas Scratch Cards
    Christmas cakes/puddings are made
    Most selection box, biscuits, sweets etc. in stock
    Clocks go back 25th
    October Bank Holiday
    Halloween 31st October
    1st November
    Christmas coffee cups
    Christmas ads
    Christmas Coca Cola bottles and ads.
    Ice Skating rinks open
    Cities/Shopping centres turn on their lights
    Santa Grottos open
    Christmas FM launches
    Black Friday 27th Nov
    The Late Late Toy Show
    First Sunday of Advent/December 1st
    Party food, brandy butter, etc. in store
    RTÉ Christmas guide
    Christmas hams arrive in Supermarkets
    Fresh Turkeys etc. in stock
    Shortest day of the year

3 potential items at risk marked in red.

3 potential items at risk marked in red.

Friend of mine in Fingal Co. Council said the permits for the ice skating rink at Blanchardstown has already been sought & that they (for now) are expecting them to be allowed open but likely with restricted attendance at any one time. Only spoke to her about this a little over a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Jude13

We should all have a zoom Christmas light ceremony where we plug in our trees in unison....in late November (runs for the hills)

Friend of mine in Fingal Co. Council said the permits for the ice skating rink at Blanchardstown has already been sought & that they (for now) are expecting them to be allowed open but likely with restricted attendance at any one time. Only spoke to her about this a little over a week ago.

That makes sense!
    Jude13 wrote: »
    We should all have a zoom Christmas light ceremony where we plug in our trees in unison....in late November (runs for the hills)

I LOL'd but then I though genius idea :pac:

• Advertisement

Jude13 wrote: »

But what about the folk that wait until Dec 1st!!?!??!?:eek:

Nice idea though. But would involve revealing our true identities!!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Jude13

I put it up in jest as I was in no way going to log in to something with my real name. Could be a post a picture Christmas light thread. Or if there is a way of hiding the zoom name. I am in no way techy.

But what about the folk that wait until Dec 1st!!?!??!?:eek:

Nice idea though. But would involve revealing our true identities!!! :cool:

I thought you could create a Zoom account with your boards handle username... again I havent really used zoom too much so I maybe wrong.

I thought you could create a Zoom account with your boards handle username... again I havent really used zoom too much so I maybe wrong.

We use it for work but every account is linked to an email address, you could of course just set up a gmail or suchlike just for the ceremony though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hopefully the start of Winterval in Waterford can be added to that list

May I also add the start of the darts world championships on Sky. Start date hasn't been confirmed yet but normally 2nd/3rd week of December (Thursday or Friday night)

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Hopefully the start of Winterval in Waterford can be added to that list

May I also add the start of the darts world championships on Sky. Start date hasn't been confirmed yet but normally 2nd/3rd week of December (Thursday or Friday night)

Good ideas, will defo add these too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Sad times. :(

Posy wrote: »
    Sad times. :(

Was always useful as a door stop if nothing else :P

August bank holiday can be marked off, and I suppose the Argos catalogue can be deleted or crossed off too.

• Advertisement

August bank holiday can be marked off, and I suppose the Argos catalogue can be deleted or crossed off too.

Probably yes.
    I never imagined so many of my things wouldn’t have happened back when I did the list.
    At least Argos are still doing the gift guide in October.

At least Argos are still doing the gift guide in October.

Are they? That's something I suppose.

Are they? That's something I suppose.

One of the articles I read last week said they were anyway!

Just went back to the first page to read the items left and was reading a few of the posts from January.

Who would have guessed where we would be 7 months later :(

One of the articles I read last week said they were anyway!

Yeah I read the same. Hopefully it stays.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Just went back to the first page to read the items left and was reading a few of the posts from January.

Who would have guessed where we would be 7 months later :(

This is one of the reasons I love boards it really captures the year. Facebook and IG can’t offer the same really.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

On the plus side, the next thing should hopefully be the opening of the Brown Thomas Christmas shop. :)

Posy wrote: »
    On the plus side, the next thing should hopefully be the opening of the Brown Thomas Christmas shop. :)

Last years opening in case anyone need a cheer up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

In today's Guardian: The Argos catalogue: why Britain's love affair with The Book of Dreams had to end
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/aug/06/the-argos-catalogue-why-britains-love-affair-with-the-book-of-dreams-had-to-end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

TRS30 wrote: »
    Last years opening in case anyone need a cheer up :)

Aaaw that's a lovely video - I have that Santa they show at 9 seconds :D

Advertisement