Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quitting to save money?

• 31-07-2020 10:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I met a young guy that's 26 and quite successful (owns his own place in Donnybrook). He came from a relatively humble background but told me he did it by working hard and avoiding vices, one of which is alcohol/cigarettes. He's tried them but only once or twice.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I'm not a problem drinker by any means but I think that if I can avoid drinking/partying as a young adult and save up money earned, that will benefit me in the long term.

So my question is, how much would the average Irish person save if they never drank alcohol?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

€150,000

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Hard to put a number on it as different city price for a pint etc. Then you’ve have to factor in drinking at home etc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,839 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They wouldnt save enough to buy a place in Donnybrook even if they never smoked drank or bought a takeout coffee at 26 thats for sure.
    Must have family money or very well paid secure job.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Different people work different jobs, have different handouts from parents, and drink or smoke or snort different amounts. Impossible to put a number on it.

He’d be doing well to own a place there without the handout part anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I met a young guy that's 26 and quite successful (owns his own place in Donnybrook). He came from a relatively humble background but told me he did it by working hard and avoiding vices, one of which is alcohol/cigarettes. He's tried them but only once or twice.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I'm not a problem drinker by any means but I think that if I can avoid drinking/partying as a young adult and save up money earned, that will benefit me in the long term.

So my question is, how much would the average Irish person save if they never drank alcohol?

I did quick maths as I was curious. If you went out every Friday and Saturday night and spent 100 a night from the age of 18. By the time you reach 25 you’d have spent nearly 73000

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

“I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Keano wrote: »
    I did quick maths as I was curious. If you went out every Friday and Saturday night and spent 100 a night from the age of 18. By the time you reach 25 you’d have spent nearly 73000

Just a heads up - the OP has never had a job (by his own admission).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

house most likely bought for him unless he won the lotto or something he came into money somewhere .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

house most likely bought for him unless he won the lotto or something he came into money somewhere .

Why? Is it expensive to live in South Dublin?

I thought Ireland was one of the richest nations on earth yet it seems that people think you're posh if you have a house in South Dublin. Surely the averagely paid worker in Ireland can afford to live there.

Why? Is it expensive to live in South Dublin?

I thought Ireland was one of the richest nations on earth yet it seems that people think you're posh if you have a house in South Dublin. Surely the averagely paid worker in Ireland can afford to live there.

No. They can’t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I'd say through my 20s I averaged 100 euro a, week on booze and booze related expenses. So that's 5 grand a year or 50,000

During my 30s it has slowed down a bit as we never went night clubbing or anything so I'd say 80 quid a week. So 40,000 in my 30s

As I near the end of my 30s I pose myself the question if I would stop drinking as a 20 year old and have 90 grand extra in the bank now?

Would I f**k..... Not a hope.
    I had a house in Dublin on my own at 28 despite being a piss head all my life and have it rented out now as I moved in with fiance and have another investment apartment too.

Just copped this is in non drinkers group forum....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I'd say through my 20s I averaged 100 euro a, week on booze and booze related expenses. So that's 5 grand a year or 50,000

During my 30s it has slowed down a bit as we never went night clubbing or anything so I'd say 80 quid a week. So 40,000 in my 30s

As I near the end of my 30s I pose myself the question if I would stop drinking as a 20 year old and have 90 grand extra in the bank now?

Would I f**k..... Not a hope.
    I had a house in Dublin on my own at 28 despite being a piss head all my life and have it rented out now as I moved in with fiance and have another investment apartment too.

Just copped this is in non drinkers group forum....

Interesting. When did you move out of your parents house? Also what's your degree.

Interesting. When did you move out of your parents house? Also what's your degree.

Moved out at 23 as far as I remember. Degree is in economics and maths

Moved out at 23 as far as I remember. Degree is in economics and maths

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GaroldCrash22

I think people who don't drink find places to spend their money anyway. Being healthy actually costs a lot of money too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I think anyone with a few extra quid in their pockets tends to find a place to spend it, be it new clothes, eating out more or that video game you wanted that was a touch too dear when you hadn't got spare cash wearing a hole in your pocket.

It's kinda like when you put a plant into a new bigger pot. It'll grow to fill that pot. Same with when you get a raise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You can save of course but it depends how much you drink. If you find you are spending a fortune every week on drink then maybe its become a bad habit or maybe its one thing more. Now giving up drink either way will benifit you financially but also your health you save from not buying booze but it's all the other stuff that comes with it like that take away you wouldn't have bothered getting if you weren't up late and needing to soak up the alcohol. More energy means you can and do work harder, longer hours etc. Maybe take on other interests to benifit you the better you feel the more you want to improve your situation financially. I mean at the end of the day there's certainly no harm in giving it up for whatever reason you have. I know if I was a drinker it wouldn't be long before I was flat broke even going out a couple of nights a year and having a few I end up having to play catch up. So really depends on your situation. On another note my other half gave up booze but he was chronic with the drinking. Its definetly benifited him might not be able to afford a house (more to do with being that but older more than anything) but can afford a car, has independance and a decent job and works very hard. He doesn't have to borrow from anyone like he would when on the booze, he buys his own stuff and even helps other people out. That independance is worth more than anything.

Advertisement