Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can we travel? What's essential? So many questions!

• 11-06-2020 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey

Past few months I've been following any and all travel updates and I'm genuinely so confused. Today during the Dail talks Leo once again managed to not give any clear answers to any of the questions piling up in my head. So if any of you actually have any clear concise CLEAR CUT answers for me can you please share because Im genuinely too dumb to get this.

1. Can we travel abroad now, or no?
    2. If so, are we allowed travel to any country or only the ones we strike an air bridge deal with?
    3. What is classified as essential foreign travel? And is this a set list of things, or is it assessed case by case
    4. How will the people screening at the airport know my flight is actually essential? I could just be lying???? This one really gets me.
    5. Can I be stopped from flying even if my reasons are essential reasons and Im covid free?
    6. If a country is allowing tourists from Ireland, can I fly there? Im trying to get to Turkey end of July. Im a medical tourist going to Turkey for surgery.

Thats it for now but I probably have more questions cause I genuinely havent a clue what anyone is on about anymore. One article says non essential travel is banned, Simon says its not illegal just not advised. Leo says we cant fly out or go on holidays, then comes out and says its not advised. Not advised is not the same as BANNED.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

No one is 'checking' that your travel is actually essential anymore. So yes you can travel abroad.

My friend flew to the UK the other day and no questions were asked either side.

They just asked where her boyfriend lived when they arrived in the UK.

Gardaí have lost their power to enforce restrictions now so you can travel as normal.

They are just presuming everyone is 'essential'

From July 1st you can visit Spain, and a few other eu countries.

Yes ireland are still advising not to travel, but its advice, not a rule.

And yes you can certainly travel for surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

No one is 'checking' that your travel is actually essential anymore. So yes you can travel abroad.

My friend flew to the UK the other day and no questions were asked either side.

They just asked where her boyfriend lived when they arrived in the UK.

Gardaí have lost their power to enforce restrictions now so you can travel as normal.

They are just presuming everyone is 'essential'

From July 1st you can visit Spain, and a few other eu countries.

Yes ireland are still advising not to travel, but its advice, not a rule.

And yes you can certainly travel for surgery.

did your friend not have to complete the form upon arrival back into Ireland giving their details and have to self isolate for 2 weeks?

jonnny68 wrote: »
    did your friend not have to complete the form upon arrival back into Ireland giving their details and have to self isolate for 2 weeks?

She hasn't returned yet as she's heading to ibiza from the UK and won't be back until October so I'm not sure there unfortunately.

All I know is she was kinda surprised there were no actual checks to make sure her journey was essential, in Dublin airport or Birmingham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭frw5

What about Greece? Can we fly to Greece or the likes of Croatia or so in July?
    Seems a safer bet to travel there than Spain who has just put some measures back in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭josip

frw5 wrote: »
    What about Greece? Can we fly to Greece or the likes of Croatia or so in July?
    Seems a safer bet to travel there than Spain who has just put some measures back in place.

Ireland is on the 'good' list for Greece as far as I know.
    That means only random checks when you arrive.
    The naughty list are either not allowed in, or have to quarantine for 24 hours on arrival at a govt hotel while their test is being processed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

melmeans wrote: »
    Hey

Past few months I've been following any and all travel updates and I'm genuinely so confused. Today during the Dail talks Leo once again managed to not give any clear answers to any of the questions piling up in my head. So if any of you actually have any clear concise CLEAR CUT answers for me can you please share because Im genuinely too dumb to get this.

1. Can we travel abroad now, or no?
    2. If so, are we allowed travel to any country or only the ones we strike an air bridge deal with?
    3. What is classified as essential foreign travel? And is this a set list of things, or is it assessed case by case
    4. How will the people screening at the airport know my flight is actually essential? I could just be lying???? This one really gets me.
    5. Can I be stopped from flying even if my reasons are essential reasons and Im covid free?
    6. If a country is allowing tourists from Ireland, can I fly there? Im trying to get to Turkey end of July. Im a medical tourist going to Turkey for surgery.

Thats it for now but I probably have more questions cause I genuinely havent a clue what anyone is on about anymore. One article says non essential travel is banned, Simon says its not illegal just not advised. Leo says we cant fly out or go on holidays, then comes out and says its not advised. Not advised is not the same as BANNED.

The major issue you will have is that any insurance you have (medical or otherwise) will likely be restricted if you travel in a period when there is an advisory against non-essential travel. I assume the surgery is elective rather than medically necessary (time wise). If you have surgical complications, are you confident that the clinic can care adequately for you or provide you with accommodation and facilities up to the point at which you can travel home. If you need a repatriation, even for something as minor as an empty seat beside you up to an including repatriation as a patient, who will cover the cost?

Not being a fear monger but those are the things you need to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Thou

Anyone know would travelling to Britain for educational needs/requirements be considered as essential travel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Thou wrote: »
    Anyone know would travelling to Britain for educational needs/requirements be considered as essential travel?

There's no definition of "essential" for the purpose of the guidance. To me, subjectively, your reason seems essential. It's somewhat of a moot point in any event as no one is assessing what is and isn't essential, it makes no difference to anything.

Flew to Malaga from dublin airport on Wednesday.

All very normal apart from masks!

Most places closed in Dublin airport but a few places for food and some clothing stores were open.

Id feel alot safer here in Spain though since the restrictions are way more organised, and strict.

No one asked the purpose of travel either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Flew to Malaga from dublin airport on Wednesday.

All very normal apart from masks!

Most places closed in Dublin airport but a few places for food and some clothing stores were open.

Id feel alot safer here in Spain though since the restrictions are way more organised, and strict.

No one asked the purpose of travel either side.

How did you find wearing the mask for the whole flight, any problems feeling too hot or uncomfortable? Any worries with people around you coughing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Wore a mask on a 4 hour 30 mins flight... bit of a pain of course, wore the light disposable one, not the heavier cloth ones.

People will always cough, now cough into masks...

How did you find wearing the mask for the whole flight, any problems feeling too hot or uncomfortable? Any worries with people around you coughing?

It was hot yeah but got used to it fairly quickly. And you can have the mask off while eating and drinking so I was kinda just sipping my water the entire flight.

Once I arrived in Málaga yeah it was fairly hot. Here since Wednesday and tbh I'm used to it now. Hasn't impacted on my time here at all really. You only need it in shops and when walking on the street. None at pools or beaches or sitting at restaurant or bars

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Thou

There's no definition of "essential" for the purpose of the guidance. To me, subjectively, your reason seems essential. It's somewhat of a moot point in any event as no one is assessing what is and isn't essential, it makes no difference to anything.

Thanks for helping to clear this up for me.
    Had been trawling through boards and the internet for a list or a definition of 'essential', so what you say makes sense, thank you.

Advertisement