Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hardman 2020

• 08-06-2020 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

Who is in for this, many from these parts entered? Looks like it may be the only full distance for the year, with a doubt hanging over big IM events.

I'm just doing it to tick a box really, may as well get something concrete out of this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Bertje14

it is on the bucket list to do as long distance when god knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I’m in for it wasn’t going to do it but signed up when IM Cork was going to be cancelled. Hopefully it goes ahead I haven’t trained much the last couple of weeks I’ve a calf issue that needs time to heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

I plan on being there. Will be my 6th time to do it (fingers crossed).

Will be interesting to see what the numbers are like and what the atmosphere will be like if it’s full of IM Cork orphans. It has always had a low key vibe but that might change.

Some of the more cosseted IM racers might be in for a shock if they’ve only ever done IM branded races :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

griffin100 wrote: »

Will be interesting to see what the numbers are like and what the atmosphere will be like if it’s full of IM Cork orphans. It has always had a low key vibe but that might change.

Some of the more cosseted IM racers might be in for a shock if they’ve only ever done IM branded races :)

What’s the run like ?

Marty Bird wrote: »
    What’s the run like ?

Mostly flat but has some ups and downs, nothing to worry about. I find it hard on my feet as it’s a mix of tar, footpath and gravel track. It’s 14km Laps x 3 and at the end of each lap you’re into transition where you can access your food bags and kit if you need it. If the weather’s good there can be quite a few walkers and jarveys about which is always a welcome distraction (and herds of deer). Plenty of water stations. It’s a lovely place to run with a coffee shop and a big playground on the route if that’s needed for your supporters. Just make sure you follow the signage, in 2016 I wandered off course on the last lap despite having run two laps already when I got tired and the concentration wandered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

since youve done it 6 times your definitely the one to ask
    has the swim ever been very choppy, i can manage standard lake chop
    but its when its bouncing about like being in the sea that i cant take .. ( yes i know , work on swimming etc ) i wont be there this year but id like to have it as a possibility for the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

With IM Wales being cancelled yesterday expect a lot will now signup for Hardman instead.

woody1 wrote: »
    since youve done it 6 times your definitely the one to ask
    has the swim ever been very choppy, i can manage standard lake chop
    but its when its bouncing about like being in the sea that i cant take .. ( yes i know , work on swimming etc ) i wont be there this year but id like to have it as a possibility for the future

In the 5 times I've done it it has always been choppy to some degree. It's a wide open lake and there's usually a wind blowing across the water. In some years it was brutal - 2016 was the hardest and roughest swim I've ever done but that was an unusually bad year. As it's a lake swim you sit lower than in the sea and the waves are not as regular or as rolling as the sea so it does impact on your swim. Don't let that put you off though, this is a fantastic race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

at the same time ironman. will have to copy quite a few hardman things for it's races this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

€1,000 announced for the first man to get under 9 hours, and the first woman under 10:30.

Griffin this should be all the incentive you need to start training now ;)

• Advertisement

I’ve started training I’ll have you know (no swimming yet though). Don’t think I’ll be worrying Alan and his €1,000 somehow.

Looking forward to this and keeping fingers crossed it’ll definitely go ahead. Nice weather for once would also be a bonus but we won’t complain as long as we get to race. Based on his FB post earlier this week could be up to 300 competing. A far cry from what I think was less than 25 in 2011

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Do they have entry limits on this? Was just thinking the other day I may be swayed to join a relay team then jackyback brought it up too. It'd have to be a very slow relay team though, the max outdoor cycling I've done is 60k...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Do they have entry limits on this? Was just thinking the other day I may be swayed to join a relay team then jackyback brought it up too. It'd have to be a very slow relay team though, the max outdoor cycling I've done is 60k...

300 entries max he said on Facebook last week

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

What's peoples thoughts on the bike course?
    Worth doing a reccie? Plenty of climbing but any major or technical descents to be mindful of? Cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

did an irish man just ask what the ring of kerry was like?

mossym wrote: »
    did an irish man just ask what the ring of kerry was like?

I know I'm embarrassed to say I've never been

What's peoples thoughts on the bike course?
    Worth doing a reccie? Plenty of climbing but any major or technical descents to be mindful of? Cheers

There's not a whole heap of serious climbing or descending.

You climb Molls Gap out of Killarney straight away and this is the longest climb. Nice non technical descent off that. The only other 'big' climb is Caherdaniel to the top of Coomikista Pass (approx 80km I think). That has a nice descent into Waterville.

It's not the climbing that I find a challenge, it's the long drags. Sneem to Caherdaniel and especially Waterville to Glenbeigh can be tough especially when there is a headwind. In the few times I've done this race I have always found the bit after Waterville as far as Kells to be the toughest part of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

There's not a whole heap of serious climbing or descending.

You climb Molls Gap out of Killarney straight away and this is the longest climb. Nice non technical descent off that. The only other 'big' climb is Caherdaniel to the top of Coomikista Pass (approx 80km I think). That has a nice descent into Waterville.

It's not the climbing that I find a challenge, it's the long drags. Sneem to Caherdaniel and especially Waterville to Glenbeigh can be tough especially when there is a headwind. In the few times I've done this race I have always found the bit after Waterville as far as Kells to be the toughest part of the course.

Wish I’d read this before the weekend. I signed up for the Hardman full last week, and in prep for the race, I cycled the Ring of Kerry yesterday; only in the wrong direction :o

Anyway, what sort of support can I expect on the course? Is it necessary to have your own siognuer on both bike and run to hand you food and drinks?

zico10 wrote: »
    Wish I’d read this before the weekend. I signed up for the Hardman full last week, and in prep for the race, I cycled the Ring of Kerry yesterday; only in the wrong direction :o

Anyway, what sort of support can I expect on the course? Is it necessary to have your own siognuer on both bike and run to hand you food and drinks?

in the past there was an feed station half way mark in ironman it would be called a special needs station where you give them what you want and they bring it out there for you to collect
    and then there was another aid station on the bike around 130ish k which worked well ( for both you have to stop but it worked well
    aid station on every 5 k and run and you can get stuff you want that you leave in transition

so you do not need any support just space for 2 water bottles on the bike
    and i would recommend to drink in t1 and should it be a very hot day have another bottle in your tri suit

There used to be feed stations on the bike but there’s just water now. I don’t think there was much call for gels, etc. so they don’t bother any more.

There’s a water station at the top of Molls Gap, Sneem and Killorglan that I can remember. They’re very inconspicuous - think of a car with an open boot and a farmer worth lots of bottles of water :) Might be different this year with the extra numbers, but you need to keep an eye out as they’re easy to miss.

At about 90km in Waterville there’s a feed station where your food bag (special needs) can be picked up. So you only need food for 90km unless you don’t want to stop.

On the run there’s plenty of water stations with some food and a bigger feed station in transition at 14 and 28km.

It’s not like an IM branded race but it’s got what you need.

• Advertisement

If you are now called Cahill maybe you do need somebody to feed you for the swim

peter kern wrote: »
    If you are now called Cahill maybe you do need somebody to feed you for the swim

LOL. That was me alright. There’s certainly some drastic measure required between now and 29th August.

Thoughts on disc for this course?

@peter think I seen you in a video with a disc. Assume you think it is?

Thoughts on disc for this course?

@peter think I seen you in a video with a disc. Assume you think it is?

Of course disc if you have one

For any past participants, how did you find cycling through Killarney?

I’ve cycled the route twice in the last few weeks, and both times there were significant holdups due to traffic. The organisation at Hardman Bantry and Hardman Waterville was top class. I expect the same in Killarney, but it’s a much bigger town with huge numbers of tourists, and I think traffic management will be much harder control. Please tell me I’m worrying about nothing.

kilarney is totally fine as early
    its chaherseville and killorgan are the places where you are likely to have to stop at some stage or be prepared for it espcially in killorgan but its the same for everybody
    will cost you maybe 90 sec and if you eat before those to towns its good for your digestion lol

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

peter kern wrote: »
    kilarney is totally fine as early
    its chaherseville and killorgan are the places where you are likely to have to stop at some stage or be prepared for it espcially in killorgan but its the same for everybody
    will cost you maybe 90 sec and if you eat before those to towns its good for your digestion lol

Do you mean Cahirsiveen Peter?

niallo32 wrote: »
    Do you mean Cahirsiveen Peter?

lol

yes

but i think zico got it anyway ...

Long Distance could be at risk now if the Government implement an 'all sports behind closed doors' policy as being reported by RTE.

• Advertisement

Long Distance could be at risk now if the Government implement an 'all sports behind closed doors' policy as being reported by RTE.

I was wondering about this alright. Interesting to see TI's views but I suppose having a few people standing around over a few IM length course which is on open roads anyway is def the main factor with covid19.
    Seems mad to be going after a low risk area imo. Tbh at this stage would nearly still do it solo anyway if didnt go ahead.

Advertisement