Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repetitive Foot injuries

• 06-07-2020 12:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭

For around the last year I've been having a lot of different foot injuries.

In September last year I was diagnosed with plantar fascisitus and advised to attend to a physio. I did so and it felt like I was improving until early this year when I went to a different physio and discovered that, though the initial complaint had alleviated somewhat I was now suffering from a mid achilles issue.

Throughout the lockdown I've been up and down with it and have used laya's online Physio on call to give me new exercises but, truth be told, every time I start to improve I seemed to suddenly take a few steps back and the pain comes rushing back for either, or both, issues. Lockdown hasnt' held as we've a teether and a toddler so I'm constantly tired.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through something like that previously?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I too experienced an injury that I could not shift and spent most of Lockdown #1 injured.
    The key for me was the return to training, I started at 5 minutes walk, 10x(30sec jog, 30 sec run), 5 minute walk and ever so slowly over a month or so building back to a 30 minute easy run.

Perhaps you are going back to too much too soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Ceepo

For around the last year I've been having a lot of different foot injuries.

In September last year I was diagnosed with plantar fascisitus and advised to attend to a physio. I did so and it felt like I was improving until early this year when I went to a different physio and discovered that, though the initial complaint had alleviated somewhat I was now suffering from a mid achilles issue.

Throughout the lockdown I've been up and down with it and have used laya's online Physio on call to give me new exercises but, truth be told, every time I start to improve I seemed to suddenly take a few steps back and the pain comes rushing back for either, or both, issues. Lockdown hasnt' held as we've a teether and a toddler so I'm constantly tired.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through something like that previously?

Did your physio led exercises involve releasing your hip flexor /quad muscles.

If not I'd start there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

Ceepo wrote: »
    Did your physio led exercises involve releasing your hip flexor /quad muscles.

If not I'd start there

No lots of calf raises, lunges and not square jumps.

tunney wrote: »
    I too experienced an injury that I could not shift and spent most of Lockdown #1 injured.
    The key for me was the return to training, I started at 5 minutes walk, 10x(30sec jog, 30 sec run), 5 minute walk and ever so slowly over a month or so building back to a 30 minute easy run.

Perhaps you are going back to too much too soon?

I haven't been doing any running at all since early May. I gave up to try and properly recuperate. Alll I've been doing is cycling and strength for sport classes.

Most annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I haven't been doing any running at all since early May. I gave up to try and properly recuperate. Alll I've been doing is cycling and strength for sport classes.

Sometimes recovery takes long time especially the injuries you describe
    I would say the post from Tunney was good apart from his assumption from too much, it's more too little but it's a good protocol .short durations and decent frequency .
    Other things could be a not good bike position that agrevates issues and the wrong exercises.
    But again those injuries you describe can take a very long time and being annoyed is not going to do much . Patience is gold . And trial and eror.
    Besides aqua jogging would be useful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

I had a very annoying achillies injury for months. every time i thought i was ready to run I wasnt and boom the pain came straight back.
    I got so feed up with it that i took a rest completly from running.
    During the month i got stuck into stretching and some exercises.

When I started back my runs were very very slow and short at the start.
    Each week i would up my distance but also put in some walking intervals.
    This and a new pair of runner and alot of tape seemed to work for me.

Best of luck with the recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭snickers

I had both of your injury’s at the same time and it has taken the best part of 3 years to heal went to a physio absolutely no help but what did help was new softer inner cushioned Skechers trainers and no exercise that would put pressure on it for 3 months .I know u don’t want to stop training for that long I didn’t either but that’s what worked for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Ceepo

No lots of calf raises, lunges and not square jumps.

As I said previously.
    Release you hip flexor/ quad muscles.
    Building strength in the calves can be of some benefit but if your hip flexor/quads are tight then it will restrict you getting good hip extension. This in turn make you calves work harder to try "push" you forward.

snickers wrote: »
    I had both of your injury’s at the same time and it has taken the best part of 3 years to heal went to a physio absolutely no help but what did help was new softer inner cushioned Skechers trainers and no exercise that would put pressure on it for 3 months .I know u don’t want to stop training for that long I didn’t either but that’s what worked for me .

Thanks. I was in pain again last night so iced them for an hour or so, on physio's advice. Feel much better today so it might have only been DOMs from the Monday strength class. I'll do my stretches today and head out for a cycle for an hour tonight.

Running and jumping are the only things I'm really wary of and I'm being very careful in relation to both.

Advertisement