Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Female first name: Lena

• 08-06-2020 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Has anyone come across the female name "Lena"? What is it the short of? I'm guessing Ellen??

Many thanks,
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Depends on the country.
    In Ireland, possibly Helena, in Europe it is often a given 1st name, but can be short for Magdalena, Marolena, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not so common in Ireland, but common enough in Eastern countries and Scandinavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Gillouise

d1234 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Has anyone come across the female name "Lena"? What is it the short of? I'm guessing Ellen??

Many thanks,
    D

3 Lena's in the family, all originally Helena

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

Short for Helena in my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭kildarejohn

Does the OP know how it is/was pronounced?
    If "Leena" and Irish then probably from Helena.
    If "Layna" then possibly from Magdalena etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Thanks everyone for all the comments and replies! It's most appreciated!

I remember a cousin of my father pronouncing it as "LEEna".

This woman would have been born in the early 1900's. Large family and some of the children emigrated. I tried looking under Lena for certs etc. but will broaden the search. I know she didn't get married so that's one less avenue to search.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I have also seen it spelled Elena in Cork.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

This might be stupid OP but could it be short for Elaine? Would expect not but its possible

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

There are several possibilities really: Ellen would be the most common but Helen, Helena or Elena also. Could even be Eileen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

And Eleanor.

Historically, in Ireland, all of those names are considered to be the same name. The fact that Latin was the lingua franca of parish registers meant that priests often translated names and if they didn't know the Latin version, they made up something that sounded like it. This accounts for the variation.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement