Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Retrofit Android Auto in MK6 VW Golf

• 29-07-2020 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests I'm looking to install Android Auto/carplay in my car. I'm handy enough with swapping the radios out but it seems like there is so many options and variants of head units I thought someone here might be able to recommend one.

From what I can see the most popular are the rcd330, rcd330plus and the rcd360. But each has different variants etc. Has anyone here bought one either locally or online and if so how much did you spend?

My budget up to €220ish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭corks finest

DopeTech wrote: »
    As the title suggests I'm looking to install Android Auto/carplay in my car. I'm handy enough with swapping the radios out but it seems like there is so many options and variants of head units I thought someone here might be able to recommend one.

From what I can see the most popular are the rcd330, rcd330plus and the rcd360. But each has different variants etc. Has anyone here bought one either locally or online and if so how much did you spend?

Pioneer SPH 250 DAB ,the business, if on WhatsApp etc on me and I'll show you live , it's a really good unit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Pioneer SPH 250 DAB ,the business, if on WhatsApp etc on me and I'll show you live , it's a really good unit

Sorry I should have added my budget is preferably in around €180-220.

Looks nice but is a bit above my budget. The rcd330 can be got for around €180 but I would just need to know I'm getting the right model.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭corks finest

Sorry I should have added my budget is preferably in around €180-220.

Looks nice but is a bit above my budget. The rcd330 can be got for around €180 but I would just need to know I'm getting the right model.
    Ok good luck , bound to get a top one second hand,I picked up a e600 plus camera lense including Sterling , postage for 189 last week

I'm back as I never got around to replacing my headunit when I opened this thread. Can anyone recommend a seller of the RCD330 Plus?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭daraghwal

I'm back as I never got around to replacing my headunit when I opened this thread. Can anyone recommend a seller of the RCD330 Plus?

I just bought a mk6 golf too and looking myself. RCD330 seems to be the way to go. There are a couple of different versions available. There's no such thing as a 330 plus. It's just sellers putting names on it. Also definitely don't order a RCD360. It's a knockoff that is basically old versions cobbled together.

This lad explains everything about the different models very well.

Also, this reddit thread seems to have everything you could want to know.

I have my choices narrowed down to the 187E version or the 187F version. There is an earlier 187B version but the 187E seems to be the preferred one now. There seems to be no real differences but the seller says 187F is the most up to date so I might go with that for the extra €4. I did notice a few Irish reviews on the 187E model and they were all happy with it and got it within 7 days from DHL. One thing they do say is if you are buying it get them to disable the reversing camera before they ship it (in the comments when you're putting through the order) or it comes up a blank screen if you don't have one. If you do have a camera I think you have to do something different but I haven't looked into that as I don't have one.

• Advertisement

You'll likely have customs charges on top too. Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye out for one that ships from the uk/eu

You'll likely have customs charges on top too. Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye out for one that ships from the uk/eu

I never thought of that. That would make it nearly €350 :(. Just be careful when you're buying them from the EU/UK. If they don't have an aux cord outlet in the middle below the screen they are the knockoff rcd360 sold as rcd330. They can't be updated etc.

Actually I think it would be 21% vat and no customs (revenue's example of a digitial camera has no customs duties while clothes do) so would end up being about €300. I'm ordering mine in the next few days anyway so will let you know what happens when it comes.

daraghwal wrote: »
    Actually I think it would be 21% vat and no customs (revenue's example of a digitial camera has no customs duties while clothes do) so would end up being about €300. I'm ordering mine in the next few days anyway so will let you know what happens when it comes.

I was hoping to get one sub €200 and install myself but if I can't I think I'll leave it. It looks nice but I'll probably be changing the car in 2 years or so so I couldn't justify €300

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Didn't want to start a new thread but does anyone who does installations for mk 7 golf. Completely lost. Looking to retrofit android auto.

• Advertisement

Didn't want to start a new thread but does anyone who does installations for mk 7 golf. Completely lost. Looking to retrofit android auto.

carplaysystems on instagram seems to be selling and installing a lot. MK 6 golf is very easy to do yourself buy MK 7 is a different story. He does supply and install for €300 if you contact him on instagram or https://carplaysystems.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

daraghwal wrote: »
    carplaysystems on instagram seems to be selling and installing a lot. MK 6 golf is very easy to do yourself buy MK 7 is a different story. He does supply and install for €300 if you contact him on instagram or https://carplaysystems.ie/

Thanks for that. I called earlier. Nobody will touch a mk7 with a camera. From looking online it seems you need an adapter to make it run on RCD330 unit. Might have to look at an alternative solution.

Thanks for that. I called earlier. Nobody will touch a mk7 with a camera. From looking online it seems you need an adapter to make it run on RCD330 unit. Might have to look at an alternative solution.

Yeah they're complicated unfortunately and the camera makes it harder again. It's a pity they didn't leave it like the mk6 where it is more or less plug and play.

Advertisement