Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

• 29-03-2020 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭

How many people on Boards have a mask and if so are you wearing them for essential trips? And this late in the day where can you get one that is going to be half decent and not from a suspect seller who could have done anything to it?

Are you wearing a mask in public places and if so why? 2473 votes

Yes: to protect myself
    0%
    Yes: to protect others
    6%
    SlaaneshVenomeddhorseswoofergonkerbren2002ShamrogueCommissarmoby2101neacy69Bebopmp3guyTony HMickerooTar.AldarionflanzerSharknosestevenup7002Bits_n_Bobsjcrowbar 150 votes
    Yes: to protect myself and others
    10%
    SlaaneshVenomc0rk3reddhorseLawnkillerRewswooferARGINITEressemDarwinbren2002lanCommissarPacificoneacy69will_fordegrumpy old manBebopmp3guyTony H 248 votes
    Yes: surgical
    40%
    SlaaneshVenomRasTa_CreeD_amenYakuzade5p0i1eryankinlkNeil3030the corpoSimonMaherToxicPaddyPalefaceeddhorseShredSesshoumaruLawnkillersuper_furryJoyPad[Deleted User] 991 votes
    Yes: homemade
    8%
    Slaanesh_CreeD_ToxicPaddyeddhorseJoyPadRewressem[Deleted User]DarwinronanoBadly Drunk BoyAgent SmithredmanPacificoneacy69atheistGinjaNinjamarkfinnjam_mac_jamBebop 215 votes
    Yes: valved
    8%
    Venom_CreeD_the corpoGer Roe[Deleted User]gonkerChittlebren2002BacchusmatrimPatamanneacy69Lia_liaBluefoamMeleftoneA Dub in GlasgoTar.Aldarioniamstopwhiskeymanflanzer 220 votes
    Yes: other
    2%
    swoofer[Deleted User]vishalBadly Drunk BoyGreeBojackofalltradesKevIRLmp3guyLumenvictor8600kenmcatilladehunWibbssdanseofatbhoyo1s1nongarite[Deleted User]DevilsHaircutrunswithascript 62 votes
    No: I don't care enough
    6%
    Neil3030LawnkillerSwampycarrotcakeCyrusSkerriesCommissarGinjaNinjageorgieMgrumpy old manrtypedeviltimebanrobinphstorkercooperguyIshmaelstevenup7002sdanseoCycloniusTabitharose 150 votes
    No: I will wait for the HSE to recommend
    5%
    DampsquidrunawaybishopmobbyExplosive_CornflakeDannoCrowdedHouseSparkoJoeA3Umiq88j@utisMOHLord SpenceRobbieTheRobberGiruillaHeart Break KidbullvineMerry_HellironictoasterVarikhi5 125 votes
    No: other
    12%
    deRangedhmmmTippexBArraStarkednwirelandWashoutLudov10DcullyAlekSmartquaaludePsygnosisrunawaybishopPatamanbusheigrodExodus 1811glynfHealio 312 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

fr336 wrote: »
    How many people on Boards have a mask and if so are you wearing them for essential trips? And this late in the day where can you get one that is going to be half decent and not from a suspect seller who could have done anything to it?

I have access to masks but wouldn’t wear them unless I am up close with a symptomatic covid19 person.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Don't have any, not buying any at this time due to not wanting to deprive others who may be more vulnerable of them.

After this all calms down, I'll probably buy some!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Yes: valved
    I've made my own. Don't plan on wearing masks unless I get sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I have them, I wear them for essential trips. I'm high risk (autoimmune disease, history of asthma), the person I live with is incredibly high risk, so I'll take whatever tiny protection they offer. It also protects people if I happen to cough.

I can't get a proper n95 type one, but the ones i get, i get from my local pharmacy. They know me so they keep a few in stock for me and I replace them each use. Thankfully i don't have to take many essential trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭enricoh

Was picking up a few bits in local farm co-op last week n they had good 3m ones for sale, e6 each. I usually get less quality ones there 3 for e5 but they were sold out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I think I have a few somewhere, but I don't plan on using them. I also have a Russian army mask, but I don't plan to use that either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I am fairly sure there are a few in the shed but I have no plan to use them unless the HSE recommend it when going to the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,861 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

fr336 wrote:

Read the WHO & HSE guidelines on masks. Wearing one to the shops is a waste of a mask and money. They have no proven benefits unless you have the Virus or are nursing someone who has the virus.

Go sit outside a hospital and watch. You won't see doctors & nurses wearing masks coming out of work & on their journey home. They have been trained & they know masks are of no use in general use. They are a comfort thing for adults. Like a comfort blanket for a child. If you need an adults version of a blankey & don't mind looking stupid then go ahead and but them. Like surgical gloves they need to be replaced every 15 to 30 minutes so you will need to invest in a few dozen at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Using ffp3 masks when going out at the moment, which is rarely as I’m high risk. My husband using them too.

I’ll side with 1.3 billion Chinese who use them.
    They provide extra protection, so if you have one why not use it.

No idea where you’d get them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I have some from DIY projects. I don't come into contact with many people until I get to work, where a mask would be impractical anyway.

Not wearing one yet, will consider it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

I've 6x sub n95 ones, same general shape but poorer particulate and moisture barrier.
    I'll keep them for attending to an in-house patient if one of us catches something.

I've a box of surgical gloves, but should really get the reusable kitchen gloves that granny used use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭circadian

Several P3 masks and a respirator from DIY stuff over the years, new filters or never been used. Have a UV steriliser from my dad who needed oxygen equipment sterilised before he died.

Will wear masks and sterilise when I feel the need to. I havent set foot in a shop in about a month and I very rarely go outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,861 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Roadtoad wrote:
    I've 6x sub n95 ones, same general shape but poorer particulate and moisture barrier. I'll keep them for attending to an in-house patient if one of us catches something.

These are the correct masks. The ones you see shopper's wearing are little more than dust mask. Keeping them in case a householder catches the virus is exactly the way to use them.

I tip my hat to you. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Nollog

A friend in France says they fine people for wearing them as they're seen to be taking stocks away from front line people who need them and are quite low on supplies. We should think about that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

/\/ollog wrote: »
    A friend in France says they fine people for wearing them as they're seen to be taking stocks away from front line people who need them and are quite low on supplies. We should think about that one.

They are utterly pointless for 99% of the general public, we've been told time and time again to keep our hands away from our face yet anytime I'm out and see people wearing masks they are constantly fiddling with them and touching their face.
    A mask for someone who is coughing fair enough but for Joe and Josephine Soap picking up a few groceries there's no need.Unless someone comes up and coughs all over your face then you aren't catching anything especially when everyone is staying away from each other.
    I've seen people wearing gloves touching surfaces and then wiping their eyes or at their noses and think gloves are protecting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Am very, very low risk, but have made lots of my own (5 layer) mask, and also have clear glasses and decent gloves, have been wearing when in any slightly public dense areas for well over a month now.
    On no occasion have I needed to adjust them once on, as the outerlayer is elasticated and held in place using ears. Can be removed with two fingers and sanatised for future.
    The benefit of using heavier duty rubber gloves is it takes less alcho to clean them, and reduces touching face.

More than a few occasions have spotted someone looking a bit ropey, coughing and spluttering into their hands.
    This is usually followed by very concerned expressions from everyone within 8 metres radius (experienced this inside a shop, walking elsewhere and/or on street in slow static queues for supermarket and a takeaway).

Not a mind reader, but pretty sure they were wishing they had even the most basic of masks at hand.

One of the most silly things seen is recent days is the tendancy for many to have loose knit scarfs (certainly not 0.5microns) over their faces, and actual sprawled out fingers/hands on these scarfs holding them in place.
    Similar to using a water bucket with dozens of holes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I am convinced there are some people usually men wear them purely because they look cool like they're something out of an apocalyptic film rather than actually needing to wear the mask for protection. It's usually men wearing the proper filter mask whilst women just wear the surgical masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

One of the reasons Asian countries have managed the virus much better than us in the west, is due to their people wearing mask protection going about daily life. Whereas we take the attitude, shur I'll be grand I won't get it and in any case it wouldn't protect me anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I have a few different masks (ffp1,ffp3, and a gas mask) and am officially trained in their use. Don't wear them in general use so far, it's a waste of them if I am to properly observe hygiene rules and dispose of them after each use, or disinfect the gas mask. Not necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

https://www.sages.org/n-95-re-use-instructions/

This might be of use to anyone with masks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

The mask is there to stop you from spreading the virus to other people, not only for your own protection. It should be common knowledge by now that the virus is asymptomatic. For the first week or so you could have the virus and be going about your business spreading it to everyone and everything you come into contact with because you are not wearing a mask. Wearing one lessens the spread. Everyone should be wearing a mask when they leave the house

• Registered Users Posts: 19,648 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have a cartridge respirator half face mask. Haven't worn it yet, but will if the numbers don't flatten soon.

Masks do work and serve to reduce the risk of being infected, contrary to some of the nonsense being put out to the contrary: https://medium.com/better-humans/whats-the-evidence-on-face-masks-5f3c27a18cc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have a cartridge respirator half face mask. Haven't worn it yet, but will if the numbers don't flatten soon.

Masks do work and serve to reduce the risk of being infected, contrary to some of the nonsense being put out to the contrary: https://medium.com/better-humans/whats-the-evidence-on-face-masks-5f3c27a18cc

I reckoned that was put about to prevent panic buying of masks. I generally wear a mask and snood with gloves and protective glasses when shopping and change clothes and stick them in washing machine on return to house

• Registered Users Posts: 80,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've a proper heavy duty mask with filters to keep it going for about 6 months, if 5% of the population get confirmed infected I will consider taking it out of its packing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

fr336 wrote: »
    Yes all my family have them.

Wearing them in shops ..but trying to get things delivered anyway. I can't wear it running i couldn't breathe ..but i will when walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I feel I would need it less than someone else. I just put a scarf round my face if I go out. I absolutely bring and wear gloves with me, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I feel I would need it less than someone else. I just put a scarf round my face if I go out. I absolutely bring and wear gloves with me, though.
    A typical (knitted cotton or arcylic) scarf would be close to zero use, as the virus is measured in 0.x micron size.

DIY Synthetics with added filters would be better.

Best would be to either use the mask or donate it to someone/where else, rather than having it unused. They can be reused many times if used sparringly for short trips.

With the many plane loads coming in now with N95s etc, supply will increase and prices drop as a result.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

We bought acetate paper and if we go out, we use this as a blast shield over our whole face in conjunction with homemade masks over our mouths.

• Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

I've got a full hazmat setup due to having spray painted cars in the past.

So far I've felt it's a bit overkill to go out like that.

This get-up must be worth a fortune just now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Marsden35 wrote: »
    I've got a full hazmat setup due to having spray painted cars in the past.

So far I've felt it's a bit overkill to go out like that.

This get-up must be worth a fortune just now.

Is it actually virus rated though? Not all of them are, worth a check.. it'll say like 'Type5b' if it is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement