Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's terrible - RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 39,502 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Horrific.

Doubt they are Bulgarians.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Boggles wrote: »
    Horrific.

yeah that wouldn;t make much sense. they are part of the eu. they could have just got the ferry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Boggles wrote: »
    Horrific.

Yeah, it's now "The force said the lorry came from Bulgaria and entered the country via Holyhead on Saturday."

I'm not up to date on my ports but how can a trailer enter the UK from Bulgaria via Holyhead - I thought that route was Ireland-UK-Ireland only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I would hazard a guess they are from further afield than Bulgaria. Christ what a horrible way to end your life.
    RIP to them all.
    People traffickers are scum and should be treated as such. The driver is just the courier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Yeah, it's now "The force said the lorry came from Bulgaria and entered the country via Holyhead on Saturday."

I'm not up to date on my ports but how can a trailer enter the UK from Bulgaria via Holyhead - I thought that route was Ireland-UK-Ireland only?

Could the truck have been in Ireland before entering the Uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Why is it just the lorry driver being arrested? The politicians and authorities are complicit. There would be no demand for illegal ferrying of immigrants if illegals were shipped back rather than being allowed to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

god almighty, horrible stuff

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Could the truck have been in Ireland before entering the Uk?

That Holyhead bit is confusing me completely

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

antix80 wrote: »
    Why is it just the lorry driver being arrested? The politicians and authorities are complicit. There would be no demand for illegal ferrying of immigrants if illegals were shipped back rather than being allowed to stay.

You're naïve to think that. Immigrants are going to keep coming to rich countries to make a better life no matter what, legally or illegally. I doubt any of these people had ambitions of getting UK passports they probably planned working illegally. There's not a lot the Governments can do about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

France Rosslare Dublin Holyhead?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jolter

Christ that so sad, may they rest in peace

That Holyhead bit is confusing me completely

If it did come from Ireland with the 39 on board there is going to be a right old shítstorm especially with the whole Brexit issue and border control.

the poor souls could have been come through one of the direct ferries from France.

There is a very good chance the driver had no idea what was inside.

terrible tragedy.

Aegir wrote: »
    There is a very good chance the driver had no idea what was inside.

39 people

doubt it

Roundabout way and 4 passes through customs/random checks sounds incredibly risky but yes, that is one way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

they probably planned working illegally. There's not a lot the Governments can do about that.

When they try to, the usual types scream bloody murder - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/27/immigration-raid-on-byron-hamburgers-rounds-up-30-workers

Roundabout way and 4 passes through customs/random checks sounds incredibly risky but yes, that is one way.

Less risky than 6

Calais Dover Stranraer Larne Dublin Holyhead

the whole entering Holyhead makes no sense

have they got that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

When they try to, they can't possible stop people coming illegally, they'll find a way. And they're going to keep coming and tragedies like this may happen. They're still human.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is no difference between this and people drowning on the Mediterranean.

You have desperate people wanting to make a better life for themselves in Europe.
    You have traffickers offering to ferry them across to the promised land, for money.

You need to disincentivize the traffickers for this to stop.
    Or better, disincentivize people from wanting to leave their countries in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

the whole entering Holyhead makes no sense

have they got that right?

I'd say they're damn sure of it. Definitely going to be a Brexit flavoured ****storm. Customs checks on ferries between Ireland and the UK have long been regarded as a joke - this is the punchline.

Those poor people.

0012e5fa-800.jpg

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Christ what an awful way to go :(

My sympathy as well for the poor person who discovered it, I imagine that's something that will stay with you for the rest of your days.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Unfortunately a very small amount of people make huge profit on the skin of those people like they did during the transatlantic slave trade. People like Macron and countries like France should be responsible for those tragedies as the poorest countries in the world like Birkina Faso, Mali, Niger are still exploited and can't even print their banknotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

Absolutely horrendous massacre here.

What an awful tragedy.

The people responsible need to be identified and punished with maximum force.

Such a sad loss of life.

From BBC updates link https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-essex-50152633
    "As we know, it is thought that the lorry came from Bulgaria and arrived in Wales, at Holyhead, on Saturday.

Seamus Leheny, Northern Ireland policy manager for the Freight Transport Association, told the Press Association: "If the lorry came from Bulgaria, getting into Britain via Holyhead is an unorthodox route.

"People have been saying that security and checks have been increased at places like Dover and Calais, so it might be seen as an easier way to get in by going from Cherbourg or Roscoff, over to Rosslare, then up the road to Dublin.

"It's a long way around and it'll add an extra day to the journey."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Das Reich wrote: »
    Unfortunately a very small amount of people make huge profit on the skin of those people like they did during the transatlantic slave trade. People like Macron and countries like France should be responsible for those tragedies as the poorest countries in the world like Birkina Faso, Mali, Niger are still exploited and can't even print their banknotes.

I don't think this is the place for your axe grinding

Have liberal elites been blamed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

There are easier ways to go get to the UK from mainland Europe surely?

antix80 wrote: »
    lawred2 wrote: »
    I don't think this is the place for your axe grinding

Have liberal elites been blamed yet?

It would seem so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Newstalk saying that the truck traveled via Dublin.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

Advertisement