Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Asylum Seekers Getting Apartments in Ballinamore - mod warning in OP (18/10)

Options
  • 16-10-2019 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭

130 moving into an apartment block in November. 150 attended a meeting this evening about the plan. Would be good to see locals put a stop to it but probably not. Media pretty quiet so far and I think if this gets the coverage it should it will ramp up tensions....

Interesting SF now appear to support developers been paid to house asylum seekers but not for social housing!! The developer is Paul Collins.

Barry Whyte of Newstalk was in attendance. Cant link his twitter.

Mod warning 18/10/19:
    Beasty wrote: »
    I've just deleted 35 posts that were off-topic/attacking the poster/trolling/back-seat modding (or responding to that type of post)

One user will not be around this forum for a couple of weeks due to their overall record here and their posts in this thread overnight. A couple more have picked up other sanctions

If you cannot post/debate in a constructive manner may I suggest you stay away from threads like this as you may find yourselves subject to further mod action

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this post in-thread

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Jamie2k9 wrote:
    .... Would be good to see locals put a stop to it but probably not...
    All of them?, some of them?, how many is to many?, why is Balinamore not suitable? Could the town not so with new blood, what's your opinion etc et

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Where is Ballinamore?
    Does anyone else want apartments there?
    Are they getting free cars and buggies too?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

A village is no place for that number of people, much less one in the middle of nowhere, how are they going to integrate? They'll have feck all to do and nothing nearby, it's just terrible planning

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Ballinamore is in Leitrim.
    Population 914.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I for one welcome our new asylum seeking overlords.

The population of Leitrim used to be over 150,000. It is now just over 30,000. I think we should welcome new members into the community. There have been many heartening stories of successful integration in Leitrim.
    Depopulated Leitrim villages such as Kiltyclogher are actively looking for people to move there.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I There have been many heartening stories of successful integration in Leitrim.

Has there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Has there?

Yes. For example the Kurdish community in Carrick on Shannon and The Iraqi born Leitrim county hurler.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

A village is no place for that number of people, much less one in the middle of nowhere, how are they going to integrate? They'll have feck all to do and nothing nearby, it's just terrible planning

I'd defo agree with this, the government needs to be kicked hard in case there are no rules/quotas on this yet.
    they must look at both the availability for housing + schools + GPs and how these refugees can build a life in the new communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

If the town cant handle 130 people then why were the flats built in the 1st place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

If the town cant handle 130 people then why were the flats built in the 1st place?
    - you'd think these flats should come with jobs and car keys ... maybe we can feed this feedback to the developers, they're not working hard enough to solve community problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I for one welcome our new asylum seeking overlords.

The population of Leitrim used to be over 150,000. It is now just over 30,000. I think we should welcome new members into the community. There have been many heartening stories of successful integration in Leitrim.
    Depopulated Leitrim villages such as Kiltyclogher are actively looking for people to move there.

Wtf will they do in Ballinamore? It will only lead to a feeling of abandonment and crime. It's not good for anybody, locals or the asylum seekers.

This policy of putting asylum seekers in random country towns is absolutely ridiculous.

I'd imagine the flats were built there by some local developer. Happened a lot during the boom, the local lad done good came back to show off his new found wealth by building mini estates in nonsense locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,516 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Would be good to see locals put a stop to it but probably not. Media pretty quiet so far and I think if this gets the coverage it should it will ramp up tensions....

Why do you want to ramp up tensions? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Probably using one of the myriad property investment schemes dreamt up by FF during the boom. Tax write offs for investors.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Would be good to see locals put a stop to it but probably not.

Why would you want locals to stop this? There was a direct provision centre in the town previously & there were no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

As the majority of AS are making bogus claims, as has been shown over and over, their claims should be processed within 7 days at the airport / port.

Then no need for any of this.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Wtf will they do in Ballinamore? It will only lead to a feeling of abandonment and crime. It's not good for anybody, locals or the asylum seekers.

This policy of putting asylum seekers in random country towns is absolutely ridiculous.

I'd imagine the flats were built there by some local developer. Happened a lot during the boom, the local lad done good came back to show off his new found wealth by building mini estates in nonsense locations.

They will do the same as the people who live there now. There's no issue with them living there. Not sure why you think there is

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How can we as a small island afford all of this?

We are in a huge deficit and owe €200 billion...

Pensions are in huge deficits and many that are coming here will never work or contribute to the Exchequer in any way.

I do see private entities though making an absolute fortune off it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

Stopped there for a bit of grub last sunday and the place was hopping, the local team were playing in the county final in a few hours and the town was decked out in flags, buntings etc.

No one begging, groups of dodgy heads etc etc.
    Carrickmacross got a direct provision centre last year, not working out great, heres from sinn feins matt carthy-
    https://www.mattcarthy.ie/public-safety-concerns-of-carrickmacross-residents-must-be-addressed-matt-carthy-mep/

These concerns have manifested online following a recent horrendous sexual assault in the town and have led to an online petition, signed by hundreds which asks “Do you feel intimidated when walking around Carrickmacross?”; the concerns expressed in the petition include many indicating that the presence of a groups of men ‘hanging around the Main Street’ is causing unease which has been exacerbated since the assault. However, a minority have also used online forums to create racially based attacks on whole sections of the community.

enricoh wrote: »
    Stopped there for a bit of grub last sunday and the place was hopping, the local team were playing in the county final in a few hours and the town was decked out in flags, buntings etc.

No one begging, groups of dodgy heads etc etc.
    Carrickmacross got a direct provision centre last year, not working out great, heres from sinn feins matt carthy-
    https://www.mattcarthy.ie/public-safety-concerns-of-carrickmacross-residents-must-be-addressed-matt-carthy-mep/

These concerns have manifested online following a recent horrendous sexual assault in the town and have led to an online petition, signed by hundreds which asks “Do you feel intimidated when walking around Carrickmacross?”; the concerns expressed in the petition include many indicating that the presence of a groups of men ‘hanging around the Main Street’ is causing unease which has been exacerbated since the assault. However, a minority have also used online forums to create racially based attacks on whole sections of the community.

I'm confused was the perpetrator of the sexual assault a resident of the DP center?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Boggles wrote: »
    I'm confused was the perpetrator of the sexual assault a resident of the DP center?
    Seems he was a "newcomer", as are the gangs of adult men hanging around with attendant antisocial behaviour. That's the problem with this multiculturalist stuff, too many in power and in the media have to be seen to be careful in couching things in vague terms lest they be accused of some "ism" or other.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

bubblypop wrote: »
    They will do the same as the people who live there now. There's no issue with them living there. Not sure why you think there is

Typical boards.ie high posts count anti Irish drivel.

Meanwhile there is a massive homeless problem in Ireland and boards.ie is fast to close threads and accounts that do not cheer on the ruin of our own nation.

HSE in tatters.
    Crime out of control.
    Official corruption off the charts.

Muslims do not integrate even if we wanted them all I will be honest the majority of Irish people don't we need to take care of our own.

The asylum system is a racket and even the dogs and cats on the street know it.

Manchester just had a Muslim scumbag go on a stabbing rampage while the media hid his face from the coverage and downplayed it.

No doubt the mods will be picking this post apart looking for some way to give me and infection from breach of their ever shifting terms and conditions.

The fact is posts like mine are not welcome here as the truth is not welcome in the current climate.

Meanwhile there is a massive homeless problem in Ireland

The homeless problem is largely concentrated in urban areas.

There is absolutely nothing stopping any homeless person from applying to Leitrim County Council for assistance.

Why do you think they are not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Boggles wrote: »
    The homeless problem is largely concentrated in urban areas.

There is absolutely nothing stopping any homeless person from applying to Leitrim County Council for assistance.

Why do you think they are not?

Get off the stage will you.:rolleyes:

Get off the stage will you.:rolleyes:

Angry young man it would seem. Fits I suppose.

But what part of my very simple question confused you?

Wibbs wrote: »
    Seems he was a "newcomer", as are the gangs of adult men hanging around with attendant antisocial behaviour. That's the problem with this multiculturalist stuff, too many in power and in the media have to be seen to be careful in couching things in vague terms lest they be accused of some "ism" or other.

It would seem or it is?

Nothing is clear in that link either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sinn Fein TD Martin Kenny says it’ll be good for the town and county

Martin Kenny lives in Aughavas Co Leitrim with his wife Helen and four children.
    I vote we put the provision centre in Aughavas instead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Typical Irish village mentality. Get over yourself OP. You're only entitled to your own patch of grass and outside that you've no right to dictate who can or cannot live beside you. God forbid the back*rse of Ireland might diversify a bit!

biko wrote: »
    I vote we put the provision centre in Aughavas instead

Is there an unfinished apartment complex that could be used to house them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Antares35 wrote: »
    Typical Irish village mentality. Get over yourself OP. You're only entitled to your own patch of grass and outside that you've no right to dictate who can or cannot live beside you. God forbid the back*rse of Ireland might diversify a bit!

Yeah, it's been so successful all over Europe do far. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Yeah, it's been so successful all over Europe do far. :rolleyes:

And that's why you're against it, sure. You wouldn't be up in arms if it was planned for Dublin or Cork. NIMBY much?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIMBY

Advertisement