Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever brake-checked a tailgating driver?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Admittedly I used to do it, not full on but just a sharp tap to scare them off.

Then I did it once and the guy nearly rear ended me. Not only that but he was so angry that he went full on road rage, overtook me and basically did an emergency stop.

Nowadays I drive an electric car so I (childishly) wait until they eventually try to overtake, and floor it.
    So you trap the other road user on the other side of the road?

Nice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Ah yeah, the stereotypical "white van man" that thinks they have the same rights as an ambulance, when the reality is they're just delivery boys.

Vans should be banned from the overtaking lanes just likes HGV's are.
    They restrict the view for drivers behind them.

The most idiotic ones are the ones who have their company logo all over the van and still drive like idiots. I've reported a couple of those in my time.

Delivery boy? You must be thinking of couriers maybe.

Iv jobs to do and money to make. Multiple stops in various locations. I haven't time to be sitting behind slow moving moaners.
    Stay in the left lane. It's safer for you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,146 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Nothing to do with speed.

I hate being stuck behind a van on a motorway as it's much more difficult to see what's ahead of them. But if you're behind a car then you can see through their windows and they're lower too, it all helps.
    Don’t tailgate the van and you’ll see fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So you trap the other road user on the other side of the road?

Nice

Trapped aye? Not sure how you figure that out. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

I've taken a few calls from cranks whinging about some of our drivers, we check the cams and very rarely anything wrong with the driving. It takes all sorts.

I wouldn't fall under that category, at least not for minor things.

One time a van driver was very aggressively undertaking and cutting back in on the motorway just to get ahead of individual cars in rush hour.
    But this was a whole new level of impatience and forcing themselves into gaps in traffic you'd have trouble parallel parking into.
    I was just watching from a distance, but it was bad.
    I sent the dashcam footage to the fleet manager to "have a word with him"... nothing more. Maybe get him to sit through a company safe driving course again.

Next week, I see the exact same van in front of me on a sliproad.
    A car in front of it stops at the entry of a roundabout due to traffic already on the roundabout and the van rear-ends it.
    They were both fine, but the cars hatchback was fecked from the collision.

Assuming it was the same driver, then their boss got reports of their dangerous driving one week and if they done nothing about it... a crash report the very next week.

Not every report is a crank.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

3 year ago was travelling north on the N2 one Sunday morning. Completely clear vision, a straight road and no other traffic about.

Saw a car approaching from behind, and he drove right up behind and then backed off. I thought it was odd as he could overtake easily (although I was doing 80-100 at the time). Then he did it again. And again. And again, except this time he rammed into the back of my car. I slow down to a halt on what there was of a hard shoulder, and this muppet followed me and crashed into the back of my car a second time after I had come to a stop

Got out to remonstrate and he stared through me, motionless. He then moved his hand towards the gear lever and I though I was not going to let him get away. As he backed up I stood in front of his car, f'ing and blinding towards him as he came to a stop again. Then his hand moved towards the gear lever again. I though sod this and got out onto the verge out of his way, and he then sped off up the N2

No idea what he was on. He was eventually caught but all he got was an FPN for dangerous driving. Hopefully he'll never be able to afford motor insurance again

Maybe it'll keep you from riding his wife :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Beasty wrote: »
    3 year ago was travelling north on the N2 one Sunday morning. Completely clear vision, a straight road and no other traffic about.

Saw a car approaching from behind, and he drove right up behind and then backed off. I thought it was odd as he could overtake easily (although I was doing 80-100 at the time). Then he did it again. And again. And again, except this time he rammed into the back of my car. I slow down to a halt on what there was of a hard shoulder, and this muppet followed me and crashed into the back of my car a second time after I had come to a stop

Got out to remonstrate and he stared through me, motionless. He then moved his hand towards the gear lever and I though I was not going to let him get away. As he backed up I stood in front of his car, f'ing and blinding towards him as he came to a stop again. Then his hand moved towards the gear lever again. I though sod this and got out onto the verge out of his way, and he then sped off up the N2

No idea what he was on. He was eventually caught but all he got was an FPN for dangerous driving. Hopefully he'll never be able to afford motor insurance again

That's some Cape Fear **** right there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

xzanti wrote: »
    Here's a little trick I use when someone is tailgating me.

Instead of being a c*nt and slowing their journey down even more, I imagine that they are on their way somewhere important, put myself in their shoes. Did they just get bad news, are they on their way to be at someone's bedside. Maybe they have a sick child in the car. Maybe just maybe they're not just trying to bully me.

I'd like to hope that on at least one occasion I was right not to jam on my brakes or slow down to an annoyingly slow pace.

But that's just me.

I posted this here before, this is what taught me not to hold up anyone. I get that most tailgaters are just wnakers but I haven't figured out yet how to tell the difference so it's best just to let them on.

Still get pangs of guilt over this but I learned my lesson.

Was In the 80's and I was driving a truck along SCR passing royal hospital in kilmainham heading towards Rialto. I see in the mirror a car ripping up behind me and then trying to bully his way passed me. I decide I'm not going to be bullied by this d1ck head just because I was driving slower yoke than him and who the fcuk did he think he was anyway.
    Knew it wasn't the law because they only seemed to drive Hillman avengers at the time so I kept this car behind me and slowed him down as much as possible thinking to myself I'll teach this gobsh1te a lesson and was having fun keeping this car behind me untill we got to the lights at dolphins barn which were red and so I stopped.
    Gobsh1te (or so I thought at the time) pulls out from behind me and drives up my outside and as he gets up beside me and stops to see if he can go the red light I see the cause of his hurry. The wife ( I presume ) is in the reclined passenger seat with her feet on the dash skirt pulled up and obviously in labor, I could see blood and goo. They proceeded through the red and headed towards the coomb.
    I now know who was the d1ckhead and wont be that d1ckhead again.
    If someone appears to be in a mad hurry just let them on you never know what's going on in their life.

• Brake check at your peril!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Due consideration of course, but no way does that extend to people doing 160kph, as I see regularly.
    Check mirror. If no on coming cars coming, overtake. Have had a few people go in front of me going 80 overtaking some other muppet in the M3.
    he waved his Garda badge out the window
    You could see the badge?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

Best to not try it with a truck, this sort of thing happens :

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Knew of someone who parallel wired the brake lights to a button on the fascia. If someone was tailgating him, he could press the button and the brake lights would come on without actually braking and the tailgater would back off.

Not advocating that solution, in case anyone thinks I am.

Trapped aye? Not sure how you figure that out. Lol

Yeah, burning someone when they're trying to over take means they spend longer on the wrong side of the road.

It's dangerous and irresponsible driving.

RustyNut wrote: »
    I posted this here before, this is what taught me not to hold up anyone. I get that most tailgaters are just wnakers but I haven't figured out yet how to tell the difference so it's best just to let them on.

Indeed someone in a hurry could be rushing to sometimes bedside or dealing with a genuine emergency. It's more likely however that they are running late for something relatively trivial, a meeting, an appointment, football training etc and are trying to make up time on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yeah, burning someone when they're trying to over take means they spend longer on the wrong side of the road.

It's dangerous and irresponsible driving.

1 - As I said, not sure how that means they're trapped.

2 - Given that it takes less time to immediately pull back in than to overtake a car and then pull back in, I suspect that you're talking shyte and getting outraged over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭jiltloop

pablo128 wrote: »
    No it sounds like he was overtaking a slower car and some wankbag drove up his arse being a dick.

And no one wants a dick driving up their arse! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Indeed someone in a hurry could be rushing to sometimes bedside or dealing with a genuine emergency.

If I was in that situation I'd have my hazard lights on, flashing lights etc...
    Nobody would misinterpret it.

So I agree, the majority of tailgaters are just aggressive a$$holes with a bad attitude and no excuse.

• Administrators Posts: 53,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Always get a laugh at this one. Wanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

BarryD2 wrote: »
    eejits who cruise along at the speed limit in same overtaking lane and think they have a God given right to occupy it till they get to their destination.

This is and will always be my biggest pet hate on the road. There is a 3 mile stretch of dual carriageway on my way to work and you'll get gobshytes sitting in the right lane all the way to the end at 40mph (50mph zone) and presumably justify it in their head because they're taking a right at the roundabout at the end!

Mind you the ones who do the same stretch in the overtaking lane and then change lane at the end to go left baffle me entirely.
    Lazy gardai should do their bloody jobs and patrol the motorways instead of radar constant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

awec wrote: »

Always get a laugh at this one. Wanker.

Vv good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭paulbok

It was to my left. I was overtaking a slow car in the slow lane.

You obviously didn't get the memo. If you refer to lanes incorrectly, you automatically become worse than Hitler on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Yes I do it. I lightly tap the brakes to scare the sh*t out of them. Luckily I have a towbar.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Yes I do it. I lightly tap the brakes to scare the sh*t out of them. Luckily I have a towbar.

And hopefully they have a dashcam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Having a towbar just means you have less of a crumple zone. Enjoy your broken back if someone hits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Blueshoe wrote: »
    And hopefully they have a dashcam

They shouldn't tailgate then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

They shouldn't tailgate then.

No they shouldn't, just like you shouldn't drive in a manner that endangers other road users. Since you are probably not a member of AGS it would be best if you worried about your own driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Put my hands up and admit I did it a few times in the past but it's pretty dangerous and wouldn't ever do it now. My theory these days is I'd rather have those jerks past me rather than behind me so let them past as soon as its safe to do so or when you've finished your manoeuvre.

Also just ignore the twats in here and on the road that think using the overtaking lane for its intended purpose is 'hogging' it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Also just ignore the twats in here and on the road that think using the overtaking lane for its intended purpose is 'hogging' it.

I think the people are referring to those drivers that just stay in the overtaking lane regardless. They would drive a few hundred kilometers in the overtaking at 100km in no traffic.

Its mind boggling and infuriating.

• Advertisement

Put my hands up and admit I did it a few times in the past but it's pretty dangerous and wouldn't ever do it now. My theory these days is I'd rather have those jerks past me rather than behind me so let them past as soon as its safe to do so or when you've finished your manoeuvre.

Are you the type of twat that stays in the overtaking lane indefinitely?

Advertisement