Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Battlefield 4 Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Are you for real? There is not even a debate these days about what is better or gaming. PC far surpassed consoles a long time ago, and that gulf is increasing all the time. The next gen consoles are also not up to current high end PC's. With each passing week Im reading about the next gen versions of games being reduced from an expected 1080 @ 60fps down to 720. Its the only way they are able to maintain the 60 FPS, by reducing the resolution.

PC gaming has everything a console has and more. If you hate using a keyboard and mouse, then you can of course use a controller with your PC, I do for Fifa and some arcade style driving games. The points being made were purely comparing FPS games, and it doesnt matter really what you may think, its purely fact that a mouse and keyboard is much better.

I dont think any mod threw out their toys, they only passed a comment based on that ridiculous statement you made comparing FPS gaming on PC being the same as using a keyboard and mouse at work for applications. You must surely be able to see how ridiculous that is, unless your work consists of gaming all day!

Okay if there isn't a debate which is better why is there around 150 millions Xboxs or PS3s sold so far... surely if there is no debate those kind of sales wouldn't be reached.

Added to that there are more people playing BF3 on console literally this second to PC.

I accept graphics are better and all that and it would have been great for me to have been able to play 64 player conquest but if I thought PC gaming was better why wouldn't I just get a PC so?

In terms of my comment on work, some actually believe it feels unnatural using a mouse to aim, especially those who work in an office... I dislike it and I am not alone.

Your prefer PC = well done, medal on the way.

I prefer PS3 = shame on me.

Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

mozattack wrote: »
    Ok, I haven't a clue what I am talking about but yet you know how much time I have spent playing games with kb and mouse - bow to the all knowledgeable one so.

Petition to get a mod on boards.ie that doesn't throw his toys out of the pram when someone has the audacity to not say how brilliant PC gaming is?... tiresome.

Reminds me when I was a teenager and perhaps insecure, could be jealous that a friend got a CD or T shirt you'd love... funny thing is though I kinda grew out of that phase a few decades ago.

I wont even comment on your mod dig.

For the record i quite enjoy my xbox 360 for certain games.
    Ill most likely buy a PS4 too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

mozattack wrote: »
    Your prefer PC = well done, medal on the way.

I prefer PS3 = shame on me.

Thanks

Do not reply to this, it has been dealt with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Latest update:

Updates in Beta Patch #2 for PC (Oct 10)
    -Two fixes for the long/permanent loading times
    -Various improvements in performance for users running quad core or six core CPU's
    -Fixed a crash that happened for some dual core CPU users after loading
    -Fixed a crash relating to DirectX10 graphics cards
    -Various stability fixes
    -Various crash fixes

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Burgo wrote: »
    Latest update:

-Various improvements in performance for users running quad core or six core CPU's
    -Various stability fixes
    -Various crash fixes

well time to fire up her again and see if I even able to play!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Do not reply to this, it has been dealt with

Ahhh Im so glad you said something there, because I was like "aggggh I cant even reply to this now!!!"

Even now Im having to clench my fingers to resist the urge to pop in a comment or two. I could never be a mod, Im far too opinionated!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Burgo wrote: »
    Latest update:

-Various stability fixes
    -Various crash fixes

Right, performance difference is just insane now. All ultra with AA stuff completely turned off and it is in 30-60fps range stable. Will play around with settings, but now I have some confidence in game.

Anywhere i can host a couple of ultra screenshots?
    7mb too large for imageshack etc.

Actually, can someone see if this works please.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/104923375@N06/10188330205/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

what are they? BMPs?

try dropbox

shrink them, you wont loose much quality anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Dcully wrote: »
    Anywhere i can host a couple of ultra screenshots?
    7mb too large for imageshack etc.

google+ or Imgur should do the job

• Advertisement

imgur <2MB only

good god I was only joking with those BMPs remarks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Really enjoying Obliteration.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Beta plays alot better for me with the CPU set to normal, changed it to low last night and freeze after freeze. When on normal only the odd stutter nothing else...playing on an old Ati 6990.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

Pretty much every game for me so far

you must ask yourself a question - where are your choppers? I feel that once someone competent is piloting at least one chopper then it's not camp-fest anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    you must ask yourself a question - where are your choppers? I feel that once someone competent is piloting at least one chopper then it's not camp-fest anymore

RPGs just lock on and its toast!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

fl4pj4ck wrote: »

the snipers have evolved to include rpg guys, plus gunners on public servers seem to shoot at shiny things like buildings and reflections but rarely actual targets

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

RPGs just lock on and its toast!

Sometimes, other times I get a Heli through a whole round just from flying smart. The directional indicator that lets you know where you are being lazed from and the map design of Siege means its pretty easy to break a lock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I cant even get into a game since the latest update.
    Just keeps freezing at "loading level"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I cant even get into a game since the latest update.
    Just keeps freezing at "loading level"

Oh ... I was just coming on to say how great it is since the patch , all stuttering gone for me . not what you wanted to hear :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

I had that problem too after the update but just restarted my pc and seems to be gone :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Richie6904 wrote: »
    I had that problem too after the update but just restarted my pc and seems to be gone :)

Nope just did that.I get the loading screen with the back ground changing but just as its about to start it freezes.

Couple of times now the game crashed and knocked out the internet too, anyone else have this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Absolutely hilarious! I got a group of the guys together, about 15 of them to take some photos for video thumbnails. As you would expect it was hilarious mayhem :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Had my 1st game of Oblits. there absolute mayhem. No idea WTF I was doing lol......good craic all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

between my new card and the patch the game is performing great now :D

happy me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Had a quick game of Obliteration there on PS3. Everyone being focused on the bomb makes up for the small number of players so it's a lot more action packed than conquest. It's very satisfying grabbing the bomb, jumping into the transport heli, shooting out the glass roof of C to parachute in and plant the bomb to win the round. There's a Battlefield moments video in there somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

ok I dont know how much of this is the patch and how much of it is the card, but I can now play the game on ultra and still get a steady 40fps

course I wouldnt play it on ultra I'd stick with a custom or medium and get at least 60fps

but WTF!!!

Just yesterday I could barely keep it at 30FPS on low settings.

half tempted to put my old card back in and see how much the patch changed things...

though I like the new card.

Advertisement