Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas 2012 Weather Thread

• 01-11-2012 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭

I know there was already a Christmas weather thread posted last week but it was in the pictures section and seems to be gone now? If not, and if appropriate, Mods should feel free to merge this thread with that...

OK its November so its just about socially acceptable to start thinking of Christmas. Will it be white? Will Sponge Bob get another bbq day this year? Feel free to add your thoughts...

As of now guidance is, inevitably this far out, patchy. Essentially there are some positive straws in the wind this year though (signals for blocking etc.). TWO have had a Christmas weather threading running for some time (they are on their 9th update!). Their latest guidance is posted below. There is no sign yet of Netweather's Christmas Weather page.

I will update as and when appropriate....

"...Christmas weather forecast 2012

Welcome to our dedicated Christmas 2012 weather forecast page. This will update regularly (usually each Saturday) during the run up to Christmas from September 1st and will take into account the weather patterns which develop during the autumn. Please remember that our Xmas forecast is intended to be for fun, as trying to forecast a single day even one week ahead is fraught with difficulty. The forecast is based on what we expect the general synoptic conditions to be like during the late December period.

Forecast - Ninth update
    As we approach the beginning of November the latest update increases the chance of a White Christmas in both northern and southern regions to above average. There have continued to be signs of northern blocking persisting in the medium term, and this increases the chance of colder than average conditions in the UK. Although there's a lot of uncertainty about how the weather will develop as we head through November and into December, there are signs of it being more favourable for cold weather than is often the case. So if you're dreaming of a White Christmas keep your fingers crossed!

Probabilities of snow falling on Christmas Day
    North of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 30%
    South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 25%....
    ."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

White Xmas in Dublin? Nah. The land will not be covered in knickers this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Just to update this. Netweather have their Christmas page up and running now too, joining TWO. Both forecasts are pasted below. Looking as promising as you could hope for (this far out) for snowlovers.

" NETWEATHER - Christmas Forecast 2012

47 days to go! It's that time of year again, the supermarkets have been stocking their Xmas ranges for a month or so (it seems to get earlier every year), we've had the first snow of the season in parts of the UK, and now is the time to start the Xmas countdown proper with our first look at the prospects of a white Christmas in 2012.

Statistically speaking the chance of snow falling somewhere in the UK on Xmas day is actually quite high with over 70% of the last 50 years having seen at least one station reporting snow. If you're looking for the proper winter wonderland with snow actually lying on the ground though it's a different story with less than 8% of those winters having at least one weather station reporting lying snow. The last proper white Christmas was in 2010 when impressively over 80% of the weather stations across the UK reported snow lying during Christmas day...

Before we start with the forecast it's important to bear in mind that at this range we're looking for trends only - it's well too far in advance to start looking specifically at what the weather may bring on Christmas Day.

The chart ( http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/images/winter/xmas2012/cfs-xmas1.png ) is from the CFS (Climate Forecast System), and it shows blue air over much of the UK and Ireland which would indicate that it would at least be cold enough for a risk of snow, and this type of scenario has been showing quite regularly. This alongside some other indicators that are pointing toward some chilly weather during December it's safe to say it's a pretty positive start, if you're hoping for some snow on the big day.

There's of course a long way to go yet... We'll be back next week with the next update and will continue to update the forecast right up to Christmas eve. .."

And TWO...

"Christmas 2012: Could be white!

Welcome to our dedicated Christmas 2012 weather forecast page. This will update regularly (usually each Saturday) during the run up to Christmas from September 1st and will take into account the weather patterns which develop during the autumn. Please remember that our Xmas forecast is intended to be for fun, as trying to forecast a single day even one week ahead is fraught with difficulty. The forecast is based on what we expect the general synoptic conditions to be like during the late December period.

Forecast - Tenth update
    Into November and the latest update keeps an above average chance of a White Christmas in both northern and southern regions. There have continued to be signs of northern blocking persisting in the medium term, and this increases the chance of colder than average conditions in the UK. Although there's a lot of uncertainty about how the weather will develop as we head through November and into December, there are signs of it being more favourable for cold weather than is often the case. So if you're dreaming of a White Christmas keep your fingers crossed!

South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 25%

Forecast issued
    Update 1, 01/09/2012
    Update 2, 09/09/2012
    Update 3, 17/09/2012
    Update 4, 26/09/2012
    Update 5, 30/09/2012
    Update 6, 07/10/2012
    Update 7, 14/10/2012
    Update 8, 21/10/2012..."

I will update this as we go along..........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Indeed. But
    Statistically speaking the chance of snow falling somewhere in the UK on Xmas day is actually quite high with over 70% of the last 50 years having seen at least one station reporting snow.

This is statistically speaking easier in the UK as their HIGHEST weather station in Braemar is at 339m ASL in the Scottish Highlands.

If we could simply relocate Finner from sea level ( more or less) to half way up Errigal we would be a much snowier country, statistically speaking that is. :D

Once you remove Braemar from the mix I'd say the snow stats in the UK more or less halve on the spot. :p

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Indeed. But

This is statistically speaking easier in the UK as their HIGHEST weather station in Braemar is at 339m ASL in the Scottish Highlands.

If we could simply relocate Finner from sea level ( more or less) to half way up Errigal we would be a much snowier country, statistically speaking that is. :D

Once you remove Braemar from the mix I'd say the snow stats in the UK more or less halve on the spot. :p

I would say that in a normal year there is a 8-10% chance of falling snow, and maybe a 12-15% of lying snow at one of the airports (to use the usual barometer). This year those stats might be 13-15% and 17-20% (at best) as the set up has a hint of being more favourable. So agree it is ALWAYS a long shot even in the best year.

I can only speak for Cork but in the last 20 years we had falling (and thus lying also) snow in 2004 and lying snow in 2010. Allowing for the fact that Cork is the least likely airport to get snow, I'd say my guesstimates are thus not too far off.

Anyway Sponge Bob, as always your difficulty with Christmas forecasts is that you are applying scientific rigour and logic to the gormless optimisim some of us prefer to rely on at this (upcoming) time of year!

Anyway Sponge Bob, as always your difficulty with Christmas forecasts is that you are applying scientific rigour and logic to the gormless optimisim some of us prefer to rely on at this (upcoming) time of year!

I would share your optimism if we could simply relocate a weather station to 339m ASL to compete with the UK..even if we had to use Mount Gabriel instead of Errigal :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

FWIW the research model that I use has a peak in both temperature and storminess on the 27th so would hazard this long-range guess, mild, drizzle or rain strong SW wind developing, highs 8-10 C.

Most readers of this thread won't hold you to that MT. Any chance you can briefly explain your peaking theory and the inputs ....as in now in early November. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

FWIW the research model that I use has a peak in both temperature and storminess on the 27th so would hazard this long-range guess, mild, drizzle or rain strong SW wind developing, highs 8-10 C.

KUujS.gif

Whilst I hate the forecast MT I admire the Cohones behind making it this far out. Mind you, I trust you wont take it personally when I say I hope it becomes your Michael Fish moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Whilst I hate the forecast MT I admire the Cohones behind making it this far out. Mind you, I trust you wont take it personally when I say I hope it becomes your Michael Fish moment!
    Ahh My Goldfish - the ultimate and best weatherman of our time. He's a ledge !

• Advertisement

Netweather's latest offering is below...

Christmas Forecast 2012
    Christmas Weather 2012 - Will It Be A White Christmas? - Forecast #2 Sunday 11th November

The chart alongside (from the Climate Forecast Model) (http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/images/winter/xmas2012/cfs-xmas3.png ) is showing some air cold enough for snow to the UK on the big day - but remember we're just looking for trends at this stage - it's far too early for any specific forecasts for Christmas.

So, where does all this leave us in terms of the chances of seeing a white Christmas? Much like last our first update it's a pretty positive update with enough signals pointing toward the risk of some cold enough air to be close by to or over the UK during the Xmas period. Still a very long way to go yet though...

Netweather's latest offering is below...
    Whats that over Cork.??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Hey, I hope it snows like crazy but here's the basic rationale for my milder forecast (aside from the 90% chance that it would verify better than a snow forecast just from climatology).

My long-range forecasts are based on "index values" of research-identified factors taken from a large historical data base. These are synthesized into a forecast (by that guy in the picture above, I think) with some attempt to derive a "scenario" from the blend of index values. When a larger than average number of values peak together, this is taken to indicate a strong energy peak. Such is the case on 27 Dec (as well as a few other dates through the winter) and the index values are running mild then as well.

This gives a basic "scenario" for the period, strong low pressure moving past the northern parts of Ireland and the UK, and looking at the output from about mid-December to the 27th, the scenario appears to be cold modifying around the period 21-23 then a peak of warming 26-27, so it would suggest rising temperatures on Christmas Day with some precip likely to be drizzly, heavier rain to follow.

The method gives two good windows of opportunity for more wintry weather, one in mid-December, and a longer and more significant one in late January and February.

Related to the above, I did a study of pressures at Malin Head in December and January and found a strong tendency to low pressure at the full and new moons of these months, which is expected in the research as solstice full/new moons are coincident with declination maxima (another energy peak in the model). There is a full moon on 28 December at 10z which would place the N Max event on the 27th. This should create an open wave type low with a strong leading warm front from secondary energy on the 25th. Given that the overall flow is indicated to be mild, I would expect this energy to form a double-centered low moving northeast near or south of Iceland. In the cold episode of Dec 2010, the full moon northern max energy peak was around 20th-21st and formed the timing for that epic Dublin snowfall event. This was at least indirectly predicted in the research model and the difference in reasoning there was that the background index values were strongly negative.

This does open up a bit of hope for a snowfall event, if it turns out to be colder than normal by about the 23rd-24th then this energy is going to have to lift the cold air or over-run it, but as I say the indications are more towards a milder pattern already in place by the time this energy arrives on the scene.

A better chance for a December snowfall would be with energy peaks on 12-13 Dec and in the few days thereafter as that appears to be the coldest part of the month.

Can we have snow on the 6th of January...the Womens Christmas?

Todays (15th November) CFS looks alright for Christmas...

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=euro&MODELL=cfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=tmp2&HH=1008&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

(Sorry - no idea how to paste in these charts)

Santa might just want to make sure Rudolph has kept that date free afterall.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I wrote this in the Christmas thread on 8th Nov 2010 and nailed it.

Can I have a Re-Re wind and the crowd say Bo - Selecta.

Here goes again.

As i awaken to the self inflicted internal jackhammer which insists on spoiling my christmas morning,i slowly open my bloodshot eyes with great difficulty whilst desperately reaching for the curtain as if to support one half of my dehydrated body.

I pause for a brief moment to visualise what my heart truly desires upon separating the cotton fabric that obscures my minds view of the perfect winter paradise. My beating chest begins to palpitate with the glorious thought of nature's white wonder greeting my oh so tiresome orbs. This is it,the morning that has hid for what seemed like eternity, has finally arrived.

I proceed to honour my own curiosity and in doing so i slowly begin to reveal what mother nature has so willingly presented before me,as if i were a king. My pupils slowly adjust to a bright that almost blinds. And so as a joyful teardrop creates a single path down my face,i begin to acknowledge my wonderous gift.

Gazing with openmouth at a world so snowy, so cold,so brilliant you'd swear time itself had not escaped its deadly grip. Thats my thoughts this christmas......AGAIN

Just to keep this thread updated, the latest from Netweather and TWO are below. Not bad straws in the wind, however far out we are. Netweather's CFS map has everyone north of the 528 Dm line, except my dear neighbours in Kerry (tries to suppress snigger.....)!

"Netweather Christmas Forecast 2012 (#3, Sunday 18 November)

34 days to go! ....The forecast this week is going to take a pretty simiar tone to the first two updates in that there are still some positive signs that cold weather will not be too far away as we move toward and through the Christmas period - so although we're still some way off there is reason for optimism if you're hoping for a white Christmas.

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/images/winter/xmas2012/cfs-xmas4.png

As usual at this range, we have a chart from the CFS (climate forecast system) above and it's showing air cold enough for snow (blue shading) right across the vast majority of the the UK and Ireland.

Remember though, we're still looking for trends at this point, and at this point you can be certain of a number of twists and turns to come....."

And TWO

"Christmas 2012: Uncertainy continues

...Forecast - Twelfth update (18 November)
    The latest update makes no change to the chances of a White Christmas in both northern and southern regions. There continues to be a huge amount of uncertainty about how the weather will develop in the coming weeks. One possibility is that we'll see colder conditions during the early part of December, but these could breakdown with an Atlantic flow returning for a time. So if you're dreaming of a White Christmas keep your fingers crossed!

North of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 25%
    South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 20%
    "..

Just looking myself at the CFS today (I am looking on www.weatheronline.co.uk - not sure if there are better sites), it seems to predicting an event like late Jan 2012 for Christmas with a cold easterly plunge going into Europe and just missing us by and large - but it still has day time temps of low single figures for us (with teens nearby!) so all very finely poised with massive potential for upgrade or downgrade - if the overall picture verified that is! This is the link I look at but I suspect this one will change with each run....

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=euro&MODELL=cfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=tmp2&HH=876&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

New to here so apologies but its 5 weeks to Christmas. How in the name of God could anyone possibly predict the weather at this stage. 3-5 days is the maximum surely? Anyway after the disaster winters of 2009 and 2010 for hard pressed families with increased heating costs and businesses who are depending on a busy xmas for survival lets hope we get no snow in the run up to Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

New to here so apologies but its 5 weeks to Christmas. How in the name of God could anyone possibly predict the weather at this stage. 3-5 days is the maximum surely? Anyway after the disaster winters of 2009 and 2010 for hard pressed families with increased heating costs and businesses who are depending on a busy xmas for survival lets hope we get no snow in the run up to Christmas

While I agree with you, that kind of view don't go down too well round these 'ere parts.

cml387 wrote: »
    While I agree with you, that kind of view don't go down too well round these 'ere parts.

Indeed. Bah humbug to you both!

Seriously though, whilst people are kicking several shades of excrement out of each other on other threads about cold prospects for next week, the latest Christmas weather updates are out - see below. If the CFS map pasted below verified we snow bunnies would be in clover (snow covered clover in fact).... Mind you given the flip flopping of models at 168h recently, at 29 days there is a little bit of scope for change too one suspects.....

"Netweather Christmas Forecast 2012
    Christmas Weather 2012 - Will It Be A White Christmas? - Forecast #4 Sunday 25th November

29 days to go! .... So far, each update since the beginning of November has been a pretty positive one with the long range maps from the CFS often pointing to cold air being there or thereabouts as we move into the Xmas period, and this week is no different.

As you can see on the chart http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/images/winter/xmas2012/cfs-xmas5.png, we have cold (blue) air affecting the wholde of the UK and Ireland on Christmas day, which indicates that should precipitation fall, there would be a chance of snow.

At this range, we're still just looking for trends though, and we're only just coming into range of the monthly models this week which will allow us a little more insight into the likely outcome for the big day, so although there have been many positive indicators so far we're still some way off from the final outcome.

From next week, we start with more regular updates - so stay tuned for those..."

AND

"TWO Christmas Forecast 2012: Increasing chance of cold
    25/11/12 - Update 13
    Christmas weather forecast introduction

Forecast - Thirteenth update
    The latest update makes increases the chances of a White Christmas in both northern and southern regions. There continues to be a huge amount of uncertainty about how the weather will develop in the coming weeks, but there does seem to be an on-going signal for cold air to become established across much of western Europe. If this happens colder conditions may well occur several times across the UK during December, bringing an increased risk of snow. So if you're dreaming of a White Christmas this year things are looking relatively promising compared to an average year, but that doesn't mean snow is the most likely outcome.

South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 25%
    "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Front page of the Daily Express which seems to be taking over from the Mail o the Doom & Gloom front.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/360818/Icy-blast-will-last-a-month
    ICY BLAST WILL LAST A MONTH

Some weather forecasters are warning that Britain is line for the worst big freeze in a century

Tuesday November 27,2012
    By Nathan Rao

FLOOD-hit Britain will be plunged into the depths of winter tomorrow with Arctic temperatures and a blast of snow.

And experts say that once the big chill takes hold, there will be no let-up in the cold for the rest of the year.

After the torrential rain of the last few days, the first significant snowfall of the winter is expected in the North tomorrow as icy air from the North Pole causes the thermometer to plummet to -15C.

Wintry showers are likely as far south as the Midlands by Sunday. There is even a chance of an early dusting of snow on higher ground in London and the South-east as the whole of the UK prepares for a month of widespread harsh frosts, bitter winds and icy conditions.

Jonathan Powell, forecaster for Vantage Weather Services, said: “Once the rain clears, it is then into a proper cold lockdown.

“Temperatures will fall below freezing across the whole country with some exposed places touching -15C with wind chill. We will see snow in the North, moving further south by the weekend, with the Midlands and Wales likely to see wintry showers. There is even the chance of snow over high ground further south in London.”

He said the first two weeks of December would be “very wintry” followed by a brief mild spell before the cold sets in again.

Jim Dale, forecaster for British Weather Services, said a “Polar front” will send temperatures plunging across Britain this week.

He said: “There is every chance that once we get this Polar air in situ, it is going to take some shifting. People should be prepared for a cold snap.”

Some forecasters are warning that Britain is line for the worst big freeze in a century with “unusually heavy” snowfalls.

James Madden, forecaster for Exacta Weather, said: “The first part of the winter is likely to be very cold and exceptionally snowy. Parts of southern England, Wales and Ireland are also likely to experience a number of snow events that will consist of some unusually heavy falls of snow. It is highly likely there will be disruption to the public transport network.”

Please let it just be chancer weather forecasters being quoted. It's Santa or heat this year and I know which will win but it won't stop the whinging. :(

I realise that they're writing about the UK but knowing my luck....

Jonathan Powell the mail order bride expert. Oh Nooooos

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2012/jun/15/daily-express-weather-forecast-jonathan-powell

You cant believe a word in the express. :(

Ok, its December.

Netweather and TWO have updates out - see below. I also see that MT mentions in his thread that he's still predicting a mild one and, just looking there at the CFS thats what is seems to showing to me today also.

Still, Sponge Bob has yet to officially announce a Barbeque Christmas so we live in hope...

"Netweather Christmas Forecast 2012
    Forecast Updated Sunday 2nd December

22 days to go! Winter is here, two windows should already be open on your Advent calendar (although for some reason my Cadbury one is already up to the 21st), and the electricity companies are enjoying their favourite time of the year as houses up and down the land are being lit up like Blackpool Pier. Christmas is definitely coming...

Weather wise we're also drawing nearer and although we're still nowhere near the definitive forecast, we're starting to hone in on the likely trend. For those who may not have seen it, our Winter Forecast was issued this week, with a colder than average December expected..

The chart on at http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/images/winter/xmas2012/cfs-xmas6.png backs that up too - it's from our CFS model and is the temperature anomaly map - ie the difference from normal, and the theme is for a colder than usual month.

A colder month doesn't mean that every single day will be cold though, so for a little more detail we're nicely in range of the monthly forecast models and they're suggesting that one of the milder periods during the month will be around the week before Christmas, but by the time we get to the Xmas period the colder weather is (at the current time at least) forecast to return..

As mentioned above though, we're still some way off so there is plenty of time for things to change, but if you're on the lookout for a white Christmas tonights forecast is another positive one..
    "

AND

TWO

"The latest update makes no change to the chances of a White Christmas in both northern and southern regions. The TWO winter forecast suggests cold conditions breaking down during the second half of December, but there continues to be a lot of uncertainty about this. There is a lot of cold air to the north and east of the UK, and a risk of it backing west bringing colder conditions across the UK at times during December So if you're dreaming of a White Christmas this year there's still a lot of interest, but that doesn't mean snow is the most likely outcome.

South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 25%.."

Still, Sponge Bob has yet to officially announce a Barbeque Christmas so we live in hope...

No sign of an exceptionally warm christmas like last year that I can see anywhere RebelB but the signature appeared around the mid month in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Anyone else for a long range guess on how its going to turn out? Snow aside I'd love a nice crisp cold dry couple of days over mild wet and windy muck!

You'll get crispies next week ( and tomorrow in Cork.) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

5500 wrote: »
    Anyone else for a long range guess on how its going to turn out? Snow aside I'd love a nice crisp cold dry couple of days over mild wet and windy muck!

Exactly my line of thinking ,snow would just be a big bonus. Love the dry crisp weather. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I thought we where getting snow this year.. still early days i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Little chance of snow, everything points to a medium strength westerly due to developing high pressure to the south of Ireland and low pressure to the north.

sheriff-of-nottingham.jpg

• Advertisement

Looking like a package of christmas storms are being lined up there by the models.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement