Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roald Dahl Day

• 13-09-2012 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd mention that it's Roald Dahl Day today, a great opportunity to read one of his classic children’s books with any kids in your life (I’ll be reading George’s Marvellous Medicine to my four year old daughter tonight) or to the big kid inside yourself. I’ll even be giving my Tales of the Unexpected DVD box set an airing tonight :)

Roald_Dahl_Day_Logo.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

It sure is! :)

The Guardian website has lots of Dahl-related stuff today http://www.guardian.co.uk/childrens-books-site

Rather appropriately I went to see Matilda the Musical this week and it's made me really want to read the book again. It was one of my absolute childhood favourites and I haven't read it in about 15 years.

It's The BFG's 30th Birthday this year, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Loved his stories growing up.
    It's worth mentioning his non-childish books to anyone interested in reading them.
    "My Uncle Oswald" is juvenile but certainly not a children's book.
    The true stories of his own life are fascinating, including stories of his time as a fighter pilot in WW2.
    "The Wonderful Story Of Henry Sugar And Six More" is a book of excellent short stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Aenaes wrote: »
    It's worth mentioning his non-childish books to anyone interested in reading them.
    The true stories of his own life are fascinating, including stories of his time as a fighter pilot in WW2.
    "The Wonderful Story Of Henry Sugar And Six More" is a book of excellent short stories.

I got his collected work of short stories years ago, most were based on the Tales of the Unexpected episodes, some of them are really good.

Got about 10 pages into George's Marvelous Medicine last night with my daughter before she fell asleep, i carried on to the end myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

D-FENS wrote: »
    I got his collected work of short stories years ago, most were based on the Tales of the Unexpected episodes, some of them are really good.

If you mean the TV episodes, I think you'll find that the episodes are based on the short stories ;)

If you mean the TV episodes, I think you'll find that the episodes are based on the short stories ;)

Yeah, what she said :P

I guess I associate with the tv show from the 70's/80's first as I only read the original stories years later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Got about 10 pages into George's Marvelous Medicine last night with my daughter before she fell asleep, i carried on to the end myself :)

I'd say 4 is too young for Dahl myself, I tried reading Fantastic Mr Fox to my eldest daughter at that age and she wasn't into it at all, stuck with picture books for a while longer. When she was five and a half I tried again with The Twits and she loved it, we've since read The Magic Finger, Esio Trot, Fantastic Mr Fox, Giraffe,pelly and me and The enormous crocodile. It makes bedtime a hell of a lot better for me although she still prefers the Rainbow Magic, Princess Poppy style mass produced modern stuff(shame).

I'd say 4 is too young for Dahl myself, I tried reading Fantastic Mr Fox to my eldest daughter at that age and she wasn't into it at all, stuck with picture books for a while longer. When she was five and a half I tried again with The Twits and she loved it, we've since read The Magic Finger, Esio Trot, Fantastic Mr Fox, Giraffe,pelly and me and The enormous crocodile. It makes bedtime a hell of a lot better for me although she still prefers the Rainbow Magic, Princess Poppy style mass produced modern stuff(shame).

Oh you’re dead right, probably why I was left reading most of it myself.I am looking forward to her (hopefully) getting more into his works in a year or two.

I’ve no patience when it comes to trying to get my kids into my favourite things.Had my son watching the football and Star Wars before he could crawl :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

His short stories for grown-ups are brilliantly disturbed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

One of my favourite authors growing up, I only learned this year he wrote for playboy too. Great to read back over the books as an adult too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I think it depends on the child. My eldest wasn't ready for them (too scary) at that age. I think the Giraffe, Pelly and Me is the best to start with, Esio Trot is quite gentle too. Now I read them to my 5 year old and his 4 year old sister happily listens. We're on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and its all talk of golden tickets and Wonka Bars in our house atm. I think we'll leave the Witches and Matilda and the BFG a little later but only because my 5 year old is quite sensitive to scary stuff- he's a real 'book in the freezer' kid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 bokmurphy

I have never read any of his books.

I'd love to know where to start.

Any suggestions?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Aenaes wrote: »

Going Solo - I have that at home, must dig it out for a read!

bokmurphy wrote: »
    I have never read any of his books.

I'd love to know where to start.

Any suggestions?

I usually find an author’s short stories are a good way to be introduced to them and see if you like them, Dahl is one of the best writers of short stories ever, the most recently published book of his works is Roald Dahl: Collected Stories (2006) – give it a look, some of them brilliant

If you’re a big kid, can’t go wrong with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as a starting point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

I usually find an author’s short stories are a good way to be introduced to them and see if you like them, Dahl is one of the best writers of short stories ever, the most recently published book of his works is Roald Dahl: Collected Stories (2006) – give it a look, some of them brilliant

If you’re a big kid, can’t go wrong with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as a starting point :)

yes agreed. I also loved Dahl's stories as a kid. I didn't start reading his books until i was about 11 or so. "Fantastic Mr. Fox" was the first one I read. After that it was "The Witches" which scared the life out of me the first time I read it particularly the stories about the five children who mysteriously disappear as told by the boy's grandmother at the start. But it also made me laugh as well.

I think that was part of the brilliance of Dahl as a writer. He was indeed a genius in his own right. No doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Roald Dahl Day again!

May dig out Danny the Champion of the World for my first re-read in 25 years.

Advertisement