Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I loved A Man Called Ove. If you remember the Victor Meldrew character in One Foot in the Grave, then Ove is similar.

Haven't read the David Nicholls book, not a fan of his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

have seen the movie from A Man Called Ove and thought was quite good

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm two-thirds of the way through and boy I'm really struggling with this book. I was taken in by the glowing reviews and I'm feeling seriously underwhelmed now. I will stick with it to the end but I'm looking forward to starting a new book.

Have any of you read "A Man Called Ove" by Fredrik Backman or "Sweet Sorrow" by David Nicholls? I have both books on my "to be read" pile for ages.
    Wyldwood wrote: »
    I loved A Man Called Ove. If you remember the Victor Meldrew character in One Foot in the Grave, then Ove is similar.

otnomart wrote: »
    have seen the movie from A Man Called Ove and thought was quite good

I haven't seen the film, but the book is excellent! Highly, highly recommended. Not to be read on public transport if you're afraid of embarrassing yourself by laughing or crying in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay

Finished Old Baggage by Lissa Evans - what happened to the Suffragettes after their battles

Started Even the dead by Benjamin Black
    First book for me of this series - like it so far, will seek out the others I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Rhiannon89

Just started Flights by Olga Tokarczuk, this year's Nobel Prize winner in Literature :)

Sarah Waters' Fingersmith, great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

This Is Going To Hurt by Adam Kay...

An English Doctors diary..One of the funniest books I have read !!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Philip Pullman's graphic novel "The Adventures of John Blake: Mystery of the Ghost Ship". Thumbs up. And the illustrations are excellent.

Her Kind by Niamh Boyce. A fictionalised retelling of the 14th century Kilkenny witch trial. A very good read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

Wyldwood wrote: »

New Home wrote: »
    I haven't seen the film, but the book is excellent! Highly, highly recommended. Not to be read on public transport if you're afraid of embarrassing yourself by laughing or crying in public.

Thanks very much for recommending this book. I have had it for ages but for some reason I kept putting off reading it. In the end it was a lovely read.

It felt like I was reading my Dad’s life story - my father is one of grumpiest b@stards you could ever meet. He has always struggled to show affection or emotion but he is exceptionally kind and generous underneath. He is the type of man who would drive you anywhere (he is obsessed with his cars like Ove) or fix anything but he is incapable of doing the whole tea and sympathy thing.

I’ve ordered this book for my mother as I don’t want to part with my copy. Like Ove’s wife Sonia my mother is a woman who loves words who fell in love with a man who preferred numbers and technical, non flowery things. Despite this, they’ve been besotted with each other for almost 50 years.

Really enjoyed my first (although it is actually the last) Quirke novel: Even the Dead by Benjamin Black.

Going though a crime books phase, picked up: The Way of All Flesh by Ambrose Parry - comes recommended by Ian Rankin - and The Wych Elm by Tana French - watching the RTE/BBC Dublin Murders and curious to try one of her books

Thirteen by Steve Cavanagh
    The serial killer isn’t on trial, he’s on the jury.

I’m about a quarter way through and I’m loving this book - it’s a gripping read so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

The literary genius* that is Ross OCarroll Kelly. Well you need something easy on the brain to read every once in a while :o:o

*used in the lightest possible sense

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Finished I Am Pilgrim in 4 days and started Homegoing yesterday.

I finished Thirteen, I loved it. I didn’t want it to end!!!

I looked up the author and was surprised to find he’s Northern Irish, for some reason I was expecting him to be American. I thought Thirteen was a stand-alone book but it is in fact the fourth book in the [Eddie Flynn] series. Have any of you read the earlier books? How do they compare?

My current read is Disclaimer by Renée Knight

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ShaneODub

On Tana French's first Dublin Murder Book, Into the Woods.

The Secretary by Renée Knight

Ploughing through The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky & listening to Becoming by Michelle Obama on audio

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

The Bromeliad trilogy by Terry Pratchett.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xofpod

The Leftovers, Tom Perotta. Absolutely loved it, will be tracking down more of his stuff.

• Not a fiction, but The Body : A Guide for Occupants, Bill Bryson's new book.

So far, very interesting and readable as you would suspect.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Toffee by Sarah Crossan, an interesting style, almost finished.

Finished The Wych Elm by Tana French; was certainly a page turner for me, but I was not satisfied in the end, possibly because found all characters (with one exception) dislikable.
    Also finished The Way of All Flesh by Ambrose Parry; really liked it and will look out for the next one in the same series.
    Currently reading Our House by Louise Candlish.

Last Letter Home by Rachel Hore & listening to The Lesser Bohemians by Eimear McBride on audio

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished book 3 in Frank Herbert's sci fi series Dune in this case Children of Dune and enjoyed it.

So Much Life Left Over by Louis deBerniéres ... really enjoying it

and on audio The Last Tudor by Phillipa Gregory

Our House by Louise Candlish was both a page turner and also a social satire which I personally found quite funny.

Started The Flight of Cornelia Blackwood by Susan Elliot Wright.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The Mysterious Affair at Styles - Agatha Christie. I've never read any Agatha Christy but always loved Poirot on TV as a kid. Really enjoying it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

The Testaments - I've seen all the reviews calling it unnecessary but I'm enjoying it nonetheless.

Advertisement