Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

as I said on another thread......

RTE have nothing for our household , except for the news and primetime which we watch every other day and even then its only sometimes.

When they get the odd US tv show maybe, but pretty much id say RTE & irish channels account for probably almost zero of the tv we watch. Its mostly stuff on netfl!x or UK tv, Chf4 , bbc.

i put money if they brought RTE to a public vote it'd be shut down if ppl like me had their way

some of the pure rubbish, leg up programs for friends, washed out socialites & celebs. Thrash tv.

Im into motorcycling sport , it never gets a look in, ever. But yet they will spurt out GAA over and over. I complained about it before twice, and yeah, never a word form them.

it needs a RESET , full shut down and rehire / rethink - but that wont happen either with our money.

plus the rte news pushes its political agendas over and over. to highest bidder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,502 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Banzai600 wrote: »
    Im into motorcycling sport , it never gets a look in, ever. But yet they will spurt out GAA over and over. I complained about it before twice, and yeah, never a word form them.
    ?

Blame MotorGp.

They sold their exclusive rights for the UK and Ireland to BT Sports going against their own FTA remit.

Anyway, the national broadcaster should be showing the national games.
    Banzai600 wrote: »

plus the rte news pushes its political agendas over and over. to highest bidder ?

That's just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Boggles wrote: »
    Blame MotorGp.

They sold their exclusive rights for the UK and Ireland to BT Sports going against their own FTA remit.

Anyway, the national broadcaster should be showing the national games.

That's just silly.

Well, their political bias was never more apparent than how they've gone after Donald Trump for the most baseless allegation.

Tonight Claire Byrne's show had a segment about workplace romances.

It was seriously cringefest - felt like it was justifying CB's own affairs with her married bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Nationwide is popular program and probably high on viewers in Ireland. This type of programs should not be laughed at. This is what RTE should be doing. Meeting the requirements of a large section of the population in Ireland....

I would often have watched Nationwide, and I ain't no farmer.

Well, their political bias was never more apparent than how they've gone after Donald Trump for the most baseless allegation.

Tonight Claire Byrne's show had a segment about workplace romances.

It was seriously cringefest - felt like it was justifying CB's own affairs with her married bosses.

To be fair to Claire Byrne Live, it started out trying to tackle serious topics like Prime Time, but it has slipped into superfluous, mostly light, subject matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

NIMAN wrote: »

Nationwide is kinda leave the brain at the door entertainment, you aren't gonna learn anything (except about Mary who's been running her shop selling scarves she knits herself for the past 40 years) but still a kinda enjoyable watch

fritzelly wrote: »
    Nationwide is kinda leave the brain at the door entertainment, you aren't gonna learn anything (except about Mary who's been running her shop selling scarves she knits herself for the past 40 years) but still a kinda enjoyable watch

Sweet Jesus, is that the kind of stuff I'm into now!

I'm getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I generally have it on in the background when I'm doing the dishes. You get allsorts from new inventions to arty things, people trying to improve their village, unusual businesses starting up. etc. My mother often texts me from home to say something related to home will be on. Great service. That's what Nationwide is all about Never an issue with it till they did a full show on Francis Brennan's hotel in Kerry. It was an out and out advertorial.

Now that Blannidge has joined the team, I'm out.

Double whammy on this
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/tv/ray-darcy-audience-shocked-joke-20860544

Nepotism and crap host to be asking the question

Sweet Jesus, is that the kind of stuff I'm into now!

I'm getting old.

Its interesting enough, maybe not for young folk, but serves more a PBS service than most stuff on rte

• Advertisement

To be fair to Claire Byrne Live, it started out trying to tackle serious topics like Prime Time, but it has slipped into superfluous, mostly light, subject matter.

Her name's on the title-the buck stops with her. That might sound cruel-but that's generally the way the cookie crumbles.

Nowadays, Claire's show has become the TV equivalent of the Daily Mail mixed with Huffington Post-either scaremongering, politicized w*nkery, or recycled crap that other shows have tackled better.
    Case in point-I believe last year,, or the year before she had a segment about Tattoos with Brenda Power. Brought on this tattoo artist and everything.

Months before that, another show discussed the same issue. With the same Tattoo artist-like, the exact same person.

According to the former tweets of RTE Secret PRoducer, or whoever he was, when the show was good, it was because of the behind the scenes producer. Due to a load of screwups, that producer left and went to TV3 (Now VM1).
    Then Claire Byrne's show got worse.

I have a creepy feeling she's being lined up as the next Late Late Show host...

Her name's on the title-the buck stops with her. That might sound cruel-but that's generally the way the cookie crumbles.

Nowadays, Claire's show has become the TV equivalent of the Daily Mail mixed with Huffington Post-either scaremongering, politicized w*nkery, or recycled crap that other shows have tackled better.
    Case in point-I believe last year,, or the year before she had a segment about Tattoos with Brenda Power. Brought on this tattoo artist and everything.

Months before that, another show discussed the same issue. With the same Tattoo artist-like, the exact same person.

According to the former tweets of RTE Secret PRoducer, or whoever he was, when the show was good, it was because of the behind the scenes producer. Due to a load of screwups, that producer left and went to TV3 (Now VM1).
    Then Claire Byrne's show got worse.

I have a creepy feeling she's being lined up as the next Late Late Show host...

Well they can't have been that good, cos VM1 is cr@p.

As for the LLS, is there a real chance Tubs is packing it all in soon? I have no doubt the next host will be female, would put the house on it.

Well they can't have been that good, cos VM1 is cr@p.

As for the LLS, is there a real chance Tubs is packing it all in soon? I have no doubt the next host will be female, would put the house on it.

The producer went to the news division in TV3. Not to producing the entire station.
    VM1 is genuinely a lot better at producing the news, in comparison to RTE.
    The production values on RTE have dropped significantly-more obsessed with the set, less so with the quality.

What baseless allegation? :confused:

Boggles wrote: »
    What baseless allegation? :confused:

They reported as fact a claim by Buzzfeed that Russia had been implicated in helping Donnie win in the Mueller report..

By the time RTE reported it, the claim had been completely disproven, a baseless allegation because the Mueller report hadn't even been finished.
    Robert Mueller even stated that 'the claims were not to be found in his report, even if it wasn't finished'.

By the time the Mueller report was finished, there was zero evidence to back up the claim. (The Mueller report was finished about a week later).

They reported as fact a claim by Buzzfeed that Russia had been implicated in helping Donnie win in the Mueller report..

By the time RTE reported it, the claim had been completely disproven, a baseless allegation because the Mueller report hadn't even been finished.
    Robert Mueller even stated that 'the claims were not to be found in his report, even if it wasn't finished'.

By the time the Mueller report was finished, there was zero evidence to back up the claim. (The Mueller report was finished about a week later).

:confused:
    The Russian government interfered in the 2016 presidential election in sweeping and systematic fashion

- The Mueller Report.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,598 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Source for this alleged false reporting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Jaysus...
    The Russians did interfere. The U.S. intelligent services say so. The only debate is how much was at the behest of Trump.
    RTE reporting this is fine and dandy.
    I think people are confusing statements and denials from the White House with facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I think so too. I know The Journal has had to close down parts of the site fairly recently-DailyEdge, for one.

And other parts-like posting comments, have been removed entirely. Too much work for moderators-mainly because a lot of the comments were of the 'what the hell is that sh*t' kinda deal.

So I imagine any promotion of RTE folks will be good for them-mainly because it looks like its paid promotion.

Clear as day paid but not marked so which would fall under ASAI rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Ti's gas there lookin at George Lee (the man who went into politics to save us all) on the news standing in a cow shed telling us all about climate change an how we're all doomed. Ya had your chance to do something Amachin but ya ran back to mammys protective apron

• Advertisement

FG used George cos he'd get elected on facial recognition. Once there he had 2 functions. Press Tá or press Níll. They're trying the same stunt now with Marian Harkin up here. All the auld ones and auld lads love her. FG get a vote and she gets salary and pension.

Here's me thinking being a politician was too much hard work for George when you get paid more for 5 mins on TV 5 days a week (if that)
    The crap about he thought he could make a difference and learnt his voice was not heard after reporting about politics for years was laughable

Overheal wrote: »
    Source for this alleged false reporting?

https://www.thejournal.ie/mueller-disputes-buzzfeed-article-4448739-Jan2019/

Buzzfeed reported that Donald Trump instructed the interference.

There was no evidence to say as such. RTE went and reported this as fact-it was far from it.

Whether there was or wasn't Russian interference is one thing, but claiming it was the instruction of Trump is something else.

And I hate Trump-I'm not a fan.

https://www.thejournal.ie/mueller-disputes-buzzfeed-article-4448739-Jan2019/

Buzzfeed reported that Donald Trump instructed the interference.

There was no evidence to say as such. RTE went and reported this as fact-it was far from it.

Whether there was or wasn't Russian interference is one thing, but claiming it was the instruction of Trump is something else.

And I hate Trump-I'm not a fan.

That's not what the buzzfeed article claimed, It claimed that Trump told Cohen to lie about the timing of a property deal.

Mueller said Trump knew about the lies but couldn't establish clear evidence that it was at the direction of Trump.

Cohen said it was to Congress and the FBI.

Buzzfeed updated it's article after the release of the report.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/bensmith/how-we-characterized-michael-cohens-testimony

So your claim that it was a "baseless allegation" or the "the most baseless allegation" is demonstrable false.

Only a simpleton would believe Trump wasn't fully aware of what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Here's me thinking being a politician was too much hard work for George when you get paid more for 5 mins on TV 5 days a week (if that)
    The crap about he thought he could make a difference and learnt his voice was not heard after reporting about politics for years was laughable
    It does show the kind of world they inhabit though. When he found himself in an environment where he had to work to be heard he immediately threw in the towel and ran back to where he knew he would be safe. I think he expected to walk straight into a ministry or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Ti's gas there lookin at George Lee (the man who went into politics to save us all) on the news standing in a cow shed telling us all about climate change an how we're all doomed. Ya had your chance to do something Amachin but ya ran back to mammys protective apron

And the bang of cow****e off him!

sligojoek wrote: »
    FG used George cos he'd get elected on facial recognition. Once there he had 2 functions. Press Tá or press Níll. They're trying the same stunt now with Marian Harkin up here. All the auld ones and auld lads love her. FG get a vote and she gets salary and pension.

Just to correct the record.

Marian Harkin announced this evening that she won't be running for FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

TheBlock wrote: »
    In any Given year RTÉ develop multiple Dramas and Comedies to various scritp stages. They then have to decide if any are good enough to comission. They ofetn aren't and are better dropped than produced as there would be uproar if some of the ****e got on screen.

Head of Drama left in 2018 and replacement is only up and running with their own slate of developments.

https://www.c21media.net/rte-and-ame-take-two-for-finding-joy/ Brilliant woo-who not that the new head of Drama was employeed by Acorn at one point, nothing wrong with this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

jimmynokia wrote: »

As I mentioned on one of the thread, people are let go and following year the cost goes up, that’s because they hire all the same people back but via contractor companies so end up paying more

They are a shower of idiots

Advertisement