Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gender Reveal Parties?

Options

Comments

I think it's harmless enough as a celebration if you take all the stereotypes and sexist stuff out of it. Not for me though, mainly because keeping the gender a secret long enough to plan a party would be torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

The only gender reveal party I was hosted by the wonderful Mrs Happy in the birthing room.
    Bloody hell, never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Anyone organising a gender reveal party is a guaranteed tosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Generally done by complete narcissists and morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

There's a movie about it.

It's called " The crying game ".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Some american lark. Heard of a couple over here but hopefully not catching on

I think you'd have to be very closely acquainted with all the people who have them to diagnose them all as narcissists, guaranteed. Difficult, since they don't seem to be the norm in Ireland.

If people want to celebrate anything, like say winning a football match, or some other triviality, it's entirely up to them but it's not a diagnosis of anything other than they like a party.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Clutterluck

I'm thinking about organising my own gender reveal party this weekend. It'll be some craic.

I think its bullshìt but if other people like to do it then the best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Candie wrote: »
    I think it's harmless enough as a celebration if you take all the stereotypes and sexist stuff out of it. Not for me though, mainly because keeping the gender a secret long enough to plan a party would be torture.
    What exactly is it celebrating, bearing in mind the average age of participants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

takes note,

A handy excuse it I get caught flashing in the park again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Gender reveal parties are a load of bollox, but Pinknews are even worse. They were originally a gay publication but have been completely taken over by the trans cult. Beardy woke bros.

is_that_so wrote: »
    What exactly is it celebrating, bearing in mind the average age of participants?

A happy event? The birth of a son, daughter, brother, sister, whatever? I think it's a bit of a nothing to get upset about, since if I was asked to one and I didn't want to go, I can say no. Or if someone wanted me to have one, I'd say no. No one is forced to have or attend one.

If it makes people happy and they fancy a BBQ or whatever to celebrate, let them. If people are happy about how their team do in a league and celebrate, nobody calls them narcissists. It's just a party, ffs.

It just seems bizarre to be so judgemental about something that doesn't affect you and you will never be forced to participate in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

I really hope it doesn't catch on. Baby 'showers' were never heard of in years gone by and are now regularly done. Load of shi*e if you ask me, which, I'm aware, you didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Baby showers/gender reveal parties what a load of rubbish. Why do we need to adopt what seems to be mainly American customs?

In my experience its people who think the world revolves around them that buy into this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Baby showers/gender reveal parties what a load of rubbish. Why do we need to adopt what seems to be mainly American customs?

In my experience its people who think the world revolves around them that buy into this crap.

Any excuse to plaster it all over social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In my experience most people who throw these parties for various events are mainly out for money and gifts!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I would show up hammered at one of these things and ruin the reveal.

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

In my experience most people who throw these parties for various events are mainly out for money and gifts!

Yeah and they've nothing better to do/too much time on their hands.

Why does every little thing have to be turned into a party/occasion/fiasco by some people?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yeah and they've nothing better to do/too much time on their hands.

Why does every little thing have to be turned into a party/occasion/fiasco by some people?

The latest thing I saw on FB was a party for their child's graduation from primary school. From ****ing primary school :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Can I throw a straight party or would that not be allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I was just reading about a newborn girl buried alive in an urn in India. Other people attending the cemetery heard the crying.

Now that's a gender reveal! Partaaaayyy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Can I throw a straight party or would that not be allowed?

That's not what a gender reveal party is but sure, have at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I was very upset when my child was revealed to be none other than 1970s Welsh rugby legend Sir Gareth Edwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Whatever about a gender reveal party but a baby shower is thrown for the mother as opposed to by the mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

optogirl wrote: »
    That's not what a gender reveal party is but sure, have at it.

But I could even it out and have a gender fluid one too....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Do we have to do everything the US does? Blindly? Like showers that never happened a few years ago. So stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

rob316 wrote: »
    The latest thing I saw on FB was a party for their child's graduation from primary school. From ****ing primary school :rolleyes:

I have a friend his GF just had a kid, she puts up a picture of him dressed in a cute outfit with a card next to him saying how many months old he is, bang on time every month. Balloons and all in the picture, it's not just her I've seen others too do it. I thought it was over as the he turned one last month, but no 13 month old FB posted the other day. And everyone comments "cant cope xx", "i'm weak", "so cute", and she just replies "Aww thanks xxx". Pure attention seeking

Mankind/womankind, and to keep all the don't know what the fook they are "in between kinds" happy, seems to be going full on up it's own holes with all this shyteology.

This is what you get when you have too much time on your hands and don't have to worry about normal things like staying alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

bluewolf wrote: »
    Some american lark. Heard of a couple over here but hopefully not catching on

It probably will, given the people who do this are most likely Democratic party voters in the US, and some in Ireland have a hard on for the Democrats, even if both parties have severe issues...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Finkel is Einhorn.
    Einhorn is Finkel.

Bring out the cake.

Advertisement