Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2003 E39 540i/A Sport

Options
  • 24-04-2017 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭

Have been wanting for a bit more power from my 525i and considered Supercharging it but this 540i Auto came up for a good price up North. Topaz Blue with Cream Interior, 132k Miles. Very little rust too with a tiny bit on the driver sill where it meets the wing and on the rear drivers wheel arch. It has a great spec on it too being English:

Auto Lights
    Auto Wipers
    Headlight Washing/Intensive Wash
    Tilt/Slide Sunroof
    High OBC Cluster
    Electric Steering Column
    Heated Electric Sport Seats with Memory
    (Working!) Park Distance Control Front and Rear
    High Gloss Shadowline
    Factory Parallel Wheels which I'll either refurb or sell
    M5 Mirrors seem to have been retrofitted but work perfect, including fold.

The 4.4 pulls like a train and the gearbox is nice and smooth, these have received a Software Update too. Stack of service history with it too including Suspension and Cooling overhauls. I have a few bits to do to it:

Fix Passenger Window, motor works but window doesn't, must be off the slider
    Fix cracked coil spring, have replacements already.
    VRT
    Test
    Tax
    Change over my Style 32's to it.
    Swap my Eonon into it.
    Replace the gammy fogs too!
    Needs a serious detail so will be giving it a paint correction of course.

IMG_20170423_153123_zps9semor2c.jpg

IMG_20170423_153132_zpsglnkfx7f.jpg

IMG_20170423_153158_zpsjzkqhbp2.jpg

IMG_20170423_183856_zpst9wqjvli.jpg

IMG_20170423_135002_zpsye58ncdg.jpg

IMG_20170423_185121_zps9w48zfai.jpg

Yes the wheels will be changed :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

wow you jammy git! you kept that quiet too you whore! looks perfrect to me bar the autobox:cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

davycc wrote: »
    wow you jammy git! you kept that quiet too you whore! looks perfrect to me bar the autobox:cool::D

Haha cheers man! All kind of happened very fast, it was only linked to me last weekend! Unfortunately the 6 speed manuals are extremely rare, seems even more so than M5's and they go for at least double an autobox model but the auto is fantastic with the V8 :D

Timing Chain Tensioner ordered as some preventative maintenance, up next will be the rocker cover gaskets and an oil and filter change. Swapped over my wheels today too, much better:

IMG_20170428_200846_zpsmbuyrobm.jpg

IMG_20170428_201702_zpsb4dz68g7.jpg

IMG_20170428_201711_zpsw1x8cx97.jpg

IMG_20170428_201726_zpsg8om1y7g.jpg

IMG_20170428_201737_zps0r2lqwit.jpg

Coded US Sidemarkers on, gave it its first deep clean wash and I got the new Chain Tensioner yesterday that I hope to fit Monday, all going well! Can't wait to get at it with the D/A!

DSCF0448_zpsrdyedtup.jpg

Replaced my Timing Chain Tensioner and Front Brake Pads this evening. Tensioner wasn't too bad to be fair but said I'd do it as there was no history of it being done and I changed the pads because even though they were new, they were squealing mad even with copious amounts of grease, some cheap ****e was on the front. New Bosch ones in now that I had lying around after ordering them by mistake ages ago and squealing is already gone!

The tensioner was an easy change, remove the Airbox/CAI and MAF and then underneath the driver side rocker you'll see a 19mm bolt protruding from the head, this is the tensioner, one crack and it'll twist out easy. Screw new one in and tighten and replace the Airbox/CAI.

Tensioners:

IMG_20170510_210536_zpsh5gwtrzx.jpg

Removed:

IMG_20170510_210602_zps5nks3pjp.jpg

Replaced:

IMG_20170510_211738_zpsacifa3jj.jpg

Back together:

IMG_20170510_213655_zpsfoinzauq.jpg

Plenty of meat still left on these rubbish yokes.

IMG_20170510_214711_zpszc6m3xou.jpg

• Advertisement

Changed the oil, filter and pollen filters in the 540i today, not sure when it was done last other than the books recorded mileage so it was done just in case! Transmission oil and filter next!

IMG_20170524_213305_zpsc5diqaxf.jpg

IMG_20170524_212635_zpsxo89sbef.jpg

IMG_20170524_212406_zpsc8iyhh7h.jpg

Still waiting on the DVLA to send me out an Export Form :mad:

All plated now thankfully :) Tax, NCT and some BC/HSD/Bilstein coils are on the cards as the shocks aren't great.

IMG_20170601_191456_zps51hehaub.jpg

IMG_20170601_191444_zpsknbupbef.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Browsing threads here. Pity all the pics are gone.

beertons wrote: »
    Browsing threads here. Pity all the pics are gone.

It's very annoying! Haven't updated the thread here recently, must get it up to date, have plenty planned!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's very annoying! Haven't updated the thread here recently, must get it up to date, have plenty planned!

Photobucket is cancer. Just upload to boards itself maybe. (Reduce the resolution first)

• Advertisement

Photobucket is cancer. Just upload to boards itself maybe. (Reduce the resolution first)

Have been using Imgur since The Great Photobucket Disaster, just haven't updated the thread since I swapped!

Detailed the 540i, I gave it a single stage Gloss Enhancement with Menzerna 400 and Sealed with Gtechniq's C2v3. The paint was badly swirled and was stained from a trip to Keary's BMW about 2 months ago. I managed to remove about 90% of the swirls and for now I'm happy as the paint isn't really up to scratch on a few panels.

EvuMqxdh.jpg

xFUwcE2h.jpg

5I0ZFwSh.jpg

yPKj9hAh.jpg

RsrtpArh.jpg

YwuUmi9h.jpg

VbuLQZQh.jpg

Z3qxBuXh.jpg

AO6V4OMh.jpg

sane0ylh.jpg

34sctALh.jpg

52QQoYXh.jpg

u3ZxjmCh.jpg

CA7gJ1Fh.jpg

That's how she's sitting now on the BC Coilovers, 20mm Front and 15mm Rear Spacers.

She also did well for herself at VAGE at the weekend!

Managed to place in the Top 15 somehow!

ndevo9Zh.jpg

And now that my insurance renewal wasn't so bad I've just paid for:

Complete Steering Wheel - Retrimmed with Perforated Sides, M Stitching and Carbon Wrapped Trim
    Front Splitter
    Gloss Black Grills
    Meyle Gearbox Service Kit
    Ulter Twin 3" Tips
    3 Months Tax

Still have to order 2 x Michelin PS4's from work for the rear in 255/35/18.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Such an amazing car! Fair play dude!

Such an amazing car! Fair play dude!

Cheers Al, utterly in love with the thing!

Few bits sorted for the 540 recently, got a new splitter (yet to be painted/dipped), Gearbox Oi/Filter service kit, a new retrimmed steering wheel and I'm still waiting on new Gloss Black Grills and a twin 3" Exhaust Tip.

Before, fairly grubby:

tRoG7G8h.jpg

After, much much better:

LPf7HEdh.jpg

Various other bits

07xawhGh.jpg

sUrzNxyh.jpg

I have also secured a US/JDM bootlid for it so will sort out that in the coming month hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Do you mind me asking how much it cost to reupholster the steering wheel? I have an M3 wheel that I want to get done. Pm me if you would rather not post the price.

Do you mind me asking how much it cost to reupholster the steering wheel? I have an M3 wheel that I want to get done. Pm me if you would rather not post the price.

I actually ordered a whole wheel so have my own as a spare and just swapped my airbag. It came retrimmed, with the Trims and buttons too and nicely wrapped. It was €277 including I think €20 or thereabouts for postage. A&T Autostyle in Kilkenny do retrims in fantastic quality for about 150+ I think!

I changed my wheels, got bored of doing nothing to it :D Rears wrapped in new Michelin PS4's too.

iQa9O43h.jpg

YETV9PRh.jpg

NzqmiAxh.jpg

NLnq0TNh.jpg

WsRCwBIh.jpg

HNrfPqYh.jpg

Quick change of drop links a few weeks ago while the weather was half decent, there was some clunking from the front end and seems to be sorted now.

AEwKVuJh.jpg

ZJSNRUhh.jpg

My HVAC blower crapped out on me Wednesday which is not ideal in this weather, no demist ability, no hot or cold air at all. Once I checked the fuses I came to the conclusion that it was the Final Stage Unit(Heater Blower Resistor) as these are a common failure on the E39. My brothers Factors luckily had one in Dublin so he was able to get one to me today, being an original Hella(Behr) unit.

Replacement was handy enough, on the driver side remove the upper carpet piece from the dash, secured with one screw and slides out. Remove the cover above the pedals, 4/5 philips and 2 torx screws. Once these are gone you should be able to see it, after removing the snap fit connector you can hold down a bit of plastic that locks it in place and simply slide it out, no bolts holding it in.

De73WLjh.jpg

Old and looked original unit:

eGEAMhrh.jpg

New fresh one:

o5uo17sh.jpg

Once all was plugged in and secured I tested it out, blowers working perfectly and sweet sweet 32 degree heat was back again :):cool:

Some big bills came up that I had to get sorted, mainly the chain guides. The transmission go a service too with a full Meyle Oil and Filter Kit.

Last week I dropped the car off in the very capable hands of Fionnsport to sort out my Timing Chain Guides. I knew this is a well documented issue with the M62 and had planned to tackle it down the line but a trip to France in April meant I really had to get it done! In the end what was replaced was the following:

Upper and Lower Timing Chain Kit
    2 Valve Cover Gaskets
    Front Crankshaft Oil Seal
    Various OE gaskets, seals, manifold and timing gaskets
    Valley Pan Kit
    Both cooling pipes in the engine
    Coolant Regulator + Transmission Oil Cooler
    Oil Separator
    Water Pump
    Thermostat
    Water Pump Tensioner Kit
    Air Con Tensioner Kit
    Alternator + A/C Belts
    Lower Oil Pan Gasket
    8 Spark Plugs
    Coolant Expansion Tank
    Coolant Change
    Oil Change

They took good care of the prep:

c19VVMWh.jpg

obZxzENh.jpg

All the auld crappy guides. One was almost about to let go, another wasn't far behind and the main U-Shaped guide had lost it's plastic and the chain had become polished due to metal on metal.

XDq5fBlh.jpg

New VANOS Tensioners and chains as the one of the old tensioners wasn't applying any tension to one of the banks.

Dl9Cqx1h.jpg

New Oil Separator as the old one was knackered.

0kg2Jmvh.jpg

All new guides and main chain on.

ppo5J5Jh.jpg

Valley Pan and cooling pipes changed.

qhmqxjXh.jpg

vEeoRXlh.jpg

Getting reassembled.

PBHzdf5h.jpg

cFsJxvzh.jpg

The valve covers were given a quick sandblast and sprayed to at least improve them some bit

ItwCwONh.jpg

iw777Ijh.jpg

All back for a quick drink :D

GBhVm2ch.jpg

Delighted I got it done now as both the transmission (due to the new heat exchanger and regulator) and engine are much smoother with a much more linear pull throughout the rev range. Worth it even if I'm now very poor :D

Haven't done much with this recently other than enjoy it! Had a failing coil pack at the start of April, replaced and perfect since and it flew through the NCT at the end of April too :cool:

3YlQElhh.jpg

VANOS seals are due to get sorted in the next two weeks all going well!

Replaced my rear discs and pads today, Textar Discs and Pads were on the back, now replaced with Pagid Discs, Pads and Wear Sensor. Got the whole lot, discs, pads, wear sensor, piston rewind tool, brake cleaner and WD40 all for about €100, who says BMW's are expensive to service :pac:

Old squeaky setup
    ftmi6mfh.jpg

P1Cj0seh.jpg

OV2gXADh.jpg

All fresh and new
    9pTrP3nh.jpg

TOcyiq9h.jpg

Fingers always get in the way :pac:
    MSoxT81h.jpg

qbS3wNqh.jpg

Taxed her again last night too!

• Advertisement

Not much has been going on with this due to it being in the garage for a replacement VANOS unit for Bank 1, the wait is another week or two so should be getting the car back this week for another few weeks before we replace it.

Ordered some new headlights which I got for a bargain off my brother and a new BMW VANOS unit for bank 1. Coated the headlights in some of the very best ceramic protection to help prevent the typical E39 lense fog.

xzcsQCgh.jpg

oOmvs11h.jpg

YHYZDcih.jpg

EqkCPLsh.jpg

pDj1RBjh.jpg

Installed the new lights! Makes a huge difference and even though mine were in good nick and recently sanded and polished, there's a massive difference in clarity!

LTH8dD0h.jpg

OI2MRyHh.jpg

Left is old:

n1yXGGqh.jpg

Also removed the useless HID's for the standard halogens

hkCFNQih.jpg

WfRwMpCh.jpg

And of course, the best thing is they don't point down due to working adjusters!

Unfortunately in September my car was crashed into and before Christmas declared an insurance write off.

I settled with the insurance company after claiming in my own Fully Comp policy as liability is still as of January, not determined for an amount I was happy with to get the car back to a good standard. Tomorrow work begins to repair the damage along with a full respray and wheel refurbishment. In prep for getting the car back I've ordered the following:

OEM Bonnet Badge
    OEM Boot Badge
    OEM "540" and "I" Badges
    OEM Wheel Caps
    OEM Driverside Rear Bumper Trim
    Aftermarket Door and Wing Trims
    ATE Front Discs
    ATE Front Brake Pads
    ATE Front Wear Sensor
    Mann Oil Filter
    Mann Pollen Filters
    8L of Petronas 5W-40

All of this should get her back to where I want it. Once that's sorted I must really get the timing issue sorted along with a Power Steering leak which is probably just a perished hose near the reservoir.

Serviced the car Saturday evening, 5W-40 oil change with Mann filter, Mann Pollen Filters changed, new Expansion tank and cap to fix a coolant leak and coolant changed. Front discs and pads up next once I get the seized spacers off!

1NUxt33h.jpg

nDB5aduh.jpg

WcsfIzEh.jpg

Advertisement