Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

naughtb4 wrote: »
    And if Casey leads to more people doing this, then it has been a good thing.

I don't think that will happen.

But if more people acted like supersonic then it would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

listermint wrote: »
    I don't think that will happen.

But if more people acted like supersonic then it would be better.

I think they are more likely to do it then before

I know it's something I will be bringing up and have already wrote the politicians about in the last few weeks as, for me, enough is enough

The traveller thing was a bit more black and white, I suspect many who voted for Higgins etc agree (or are not entirely against ) with Casey's welfare state comments. Even our incumbent Taousesch did there for a while before he forgot about those who get up early!

Patww79 wrote: »
    Was all that just a vehicle to tell us how great you are?

I gave u “thanks” accidentally. Wish there was a thumbs down for stupid posts like yours , people ask questions, posters reply in sincerity and backing up what they say ..... then get stupid put downs like yours :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I gave u “thanks” accidentally. Wish there was a thumbs down for stupid posts like yours , people ask questions, posters reply in sincerity and backing up what they say ..... then get stupid put downs like yours :mad:

Contrary to the picture that was painted, I hadn't noticed anyway. To be honest it started as an off the cuff remark but when things go down the road of stalking and agenda pushing then you need to go all in on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Not aimed at who you quoted, but your post is the reason why i don't get into back and fourths on here.

I will gladly discuss anything with someone face to face and take on board what they're saying, but mostly what you get on here is pro-forum-folk.

Straw man this, hyperbole that, vitriol, libtard, racist, black & white bla bla bla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,147 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If Casey does join FF does that mean his supporters will vote FF to lead us on this supposed revolution?

I thought Renua were the revolutionary party in waiting?

Also heard Casey say yesterday he is left leaning moreso than right. So did people think voting for a left leaning politician would show "da lefties" OR did he just lie about his orientation?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Pretzill wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm not one of the huge Michael D supporters because of this election he didn't even get my number 1, but he's not some little person...he's a man of enduring political nounce, who has served the electorate here in Ireland for more years than I've lived. He is also our president and deserves a little respect. We live in a republic, we shouldn't feel ashamed by that.

I presume now that is supposed to read "political nuance"

I read it the first time as "political nonce"

:pac:

I guarantee it was the social welfare thing that got most people. The traveller thing was just an easy out for the flakes to be able to shout 'racist' at people instead of facing up to anything

Jaysus did you miss all the Caseyites here championing Casey for wanting to solve rural crime across Ireland? Welfare barely touched the sides.

pjohnson wrote: »
    If Casey does join FF does that mean his supporters will vote FF to lead us on this supposed revolution?

I thought Renua were the revolutionary party in waiting?

Also heard Casey say yesterday he is left leaning moreso than right. So did people think voting for a left leaning politician would show "da lefties" OR did he just lie about his orientation?

You think he doesn't like boobs?

I'm sure he does. Who wouldn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

I guarantee it was the social welfare thing that got most people. The traveller thing was just an easy out for the flakes to be able to shout 'racist' at people instead of facing up to anything

Absolutely, people sick to the back teeth of the welfare entitlement. Nothing in this budget or last one for workers trying to keep the show on the road. And on top of that seeing welfare recipients getting more than them.
    Not one politician or anyone in the media (yer man boylan aside) asking any hard questions on the erica flemings n margaret cash's of this country. Instead just throw more taxpayer's money at them.
    Casey did, didn't issue the standard press apology the next day n got 23% as a result. Fair play!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Carey is quite impressive. He has challenged the highly conservative, patronizing and inept (socially liberal, economically left leaning) media and political consensus and he won the argument hands down.

All they could do was sling the term ‘racist’ at him. They have failed to realize that there is a groundswell of people in Ireland who want actual and real societal and economic change - not just well meaning but insubstantial changes to our outdated old constitution.

Real change like tackling waste in our public services, no more jobs for life for civil servants who are non productive, proper analysis of social welfare spend, moving financial support to the frontline in health and education and tackling bureaucracy and inefficiency.

He has my support.

Honestly, I'm not one of the huge Michael D supporters because of this election he didn't even get my number 1, but he's not some little person...he's a man of enduring political nounce, who has served the electorate here in Ireland for more years than I've lived. He is also our president and deserves a little respect. We live in a republic, we shouldn't feel ashamed by that.

What is ‘enduring political nounce’?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

enricoh wrote: »
    Absolutely, people sick to the back teeth of the welfare entitlement. Nothing in this budget or last one for workers trying to keep the show on the road. And on top of that seeing welfare recipients getting more than them.
    Not one politician or anyone in the media (yer man boylan aside) asking any hard questions on the erica flemings n margaret cash's of this country. Instead just throw more taxpayer's money at them.
    Casey did, didn't issue the standard press apology the next day n got 23% as a result. Fair play!

Not only thrown at them but then have to listen to them saying it's not good enough. Hopefully he has instigated the beginning of some change. It was a great result in something he couldn't win anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Not only thrown at them but then have to listen to them saying it's not good enough. Hopefully he has instigated the beginning of some change. It was a great result in something he couldn't win anyway.

Interestingly he also spent about 20% of Higgins Total spend on the campaign

What in God's name did Higgins spend 400k on, I didn't see any posters (LnR aside) and got no flyers from him

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/1024/1006412-the-financial-cost-of-becoming-president/

Carey is quite impressive. He has challenged the highly conservative, patronizing and inept (socially liberal, economically left leaning) media and political consensus and he won the argument hands down.

All they could do was sling the term ‘racist’ at him. They have failed to realize that there is a groundswell of people in Ireland who want actual and real societal and economic change - not just well meaning but insubstantial changes to our outdated old constitution.

Real change like tackling waste in our public services, no more jobs for life for civil servants who are non productive, proper analysis of social welfare spend, moving financial support to the frontline in health and education and tackling bureaucracy and inefficiency.

He has my support.

Ah now in fairness, it should be very very easy to find a better candidate with similar views to Casey.

He just stumbled onto a bit populist fortune. A smarter candidate would have done more with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Strange coincidence that in areas with high traveler population's Casey vote was strongest. ;)

Strange coincidence that in areas with high traveler population's Casey vote was strongest. ;)

No no. It was his welfare stance that appealed to Casey voters not his comments on travellers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

What in God's name did Higgins spend 400k on, I didn't see any posters (LnR aside) and got no flyers from him

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/1024/1006412-the-financial-cost-of-becoming-president/

Hookers and blowjobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Higgins had plenty of posters, not as many as SF. Think i read none of the others had any.

pjohnson wrote: »
    No no. It was his welfare stance that appealed to Casey voters not his comments on travellers.

The stance where people on the dole were getting too much but when questioned he didn't actually know how much they were getting? :pac:

By all means have an opinion and a debate, but he should know the basic facts ffs

And going by the responses one here, a huge number saying they voted for him are immediately referencing issues with travellers. Not mentioning welfare so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I presume now that is supposed to read "political nuance"

I read it the first time as "political nonce"

:pac:

No, nounce - quick witted, sharp. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

salmocab wrote: »
    Higgins had plenty of posters, not as many as SF. Think i read none of the others had any.

Higgins had 5,000 printed.
    Ni Riada had 17,000 printed.
    The rest were posterless.

At a fiver a piece, €25,000 and €85,000 respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I keep reading about what a marvellous President Higgins was and how Casey had no ideas to bring to the Presidency.
    What ideas had Higgins got, as far as I can see his committment was to spend the next seven years doing what he has done since 2011 and that amounts to eating and drinking and going to every theatre gig in town as far as I can see. Its a bit like the emperors new clothes.
    Why couldnt his accounts have been audited, should they not be audited on an annual basis. Are we to understand the soending hasnt been audited since 2011, have we anyway of knowing was the spending in line with previous incumbants in the role.
    Does he think he is a member of an ethic minority group too and so doesnt have to supply auditing information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

No, nounce - quick witted, sharp. :)

Is that actually true or did you just read somewhere that he is quickwitted and sharp.

Ah now in fairness, it should be very very easy to find a better candidate with similar views to Casey.

He just stumbled onto a bit populist fortune. A smarter candidate would have done more with it

He comes across well. He had only 3 weeks to campaign (due to MickyD's slight of hand) and scored heavily.

The stance where people on the dole were getting too much but when questioned he didn't actually know how much they were getting? :pac:

By all means have an opinion and a debate, but he should know the basic facts ffs

And going by the responses one here, a huge number saying they voted for him are immediately referencing issues with travellers. Not mentioning welfare so much.

If he knew the exact figure, would you have then agreed with his point?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

How do the Casey voters feel about him potentially joining FF? Bit of a blow I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

namloc1980 wrote: »
    How do the Casey voters feel about him potentially joining FF? Bit of a blow I'd imagine.

He won’t join any party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

namloc1980 wrote: »

To be honest even though I voted Casey I don't think he would make the best of politicians, I voted for him because I am sick and tired of all the political correctness and not being allowed to comment on career social welfare spongers.

I have a good job and I work hard, yet can't afford to buy a house near my kids or where I grew up. Others I know from years ago in school who have not bothered to make anything of themselves have had houses handed to them by the state and if I dare comment on it I am a right wing racist?! I am all for social welfare as needed but it should not be an option to make a career of it like the Margaret Cash's of this country do.

• Advertisement

You may have missed my Sarcasm Donny :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement