Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Sopranos

• 14-01-2015 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

I've a degree in filmmaking and would consider myself to be a huge fan of cinema and television. I've seen as much of the greats as I possibly could and continue to do so...I've watched some of the greatest tv shows ever made..twin peaks, breaking bad, spaced etc.

To my friends surprise I have never seen the sopranos. That was until, tonight. I'm currently after watching the first two episodes and all I have to say is Meh.

Does it get better? I'm looking for an honest opinion and not some die hard sopranos fan opinion. I'm well aware many tv shows take awhile to get into but I'm worried that it will persist like this.

Sorry for bad grammar, posting off a smartphone

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What's making it meh for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

Without trying to sound like a "die hard sopranos fan", yes it does get better. But more importantly it remains consistently good throughout it's run.

I hold the Sopranos up there with only The West Wing as my favourite shows. I liked Breaking Bad but I don't think it touches those two

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

Well, you wrote this a few weeks ago, don't know if you keep watching or no... my advice would be to do so, it is a incredible show.

Season 5 is the best one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The Sopranos is a work of art. Season 1 is a bit patchy but has some great moments. After that, its pretty much pure gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Field east

Bought the box set. Have tried to get into some of the others and failed. But the S. Is superb for the story line , the acting, the contrasts between religion and pure brutality and how utterly seamless it could from one to the other, the characters, etc. love/hate is a total amateur towards it and I found it very good also - bar one or two episodes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

Was into this from Series1 Ep1, utterly brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Sopranos is the closest depiction to the real modern day Mafia that's ever been on the screen. It's authenticity made the show a hit.

For instance Chase based the show off the real life DeCavalcante Family. A NJ crime family who are linked with the Lucchese and Gambino families in NYC.

Apparently the Tony character was originally based off mobster Vincent 'Vinny Ocean' Palermo who was head of the the Decavalcantes when the show was in production.

Advertisement