Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sopranos

Options
  • 31-01-2011 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

I couldn't find a thread on this, so apologies if there is another thread on it.

I have been watching the box set over Christmas and am now about halfway through Series 6.

Isn't it just an amazing series? I am really enjoying it. I saw it before on TV of course. However, it's great now to take my time with the box set and really see everything that happened.

Is anyone else watching it? I hear it will be shown on the new Sky Atlantic Channel, but unfortunately I only have UPC.

Anyway, I love the box sets, especially with a class series like this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Got to love The Sopranos!

Woke up this morrrrrning, got yourself a gunnnn :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Just got the boxset for Xmas myself and have'nt started watching yet !!
    Great show

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

Yep, just started season 6 part 2 (never saw any when it aired), I think it may be the best dramatic show that I've ever seen. Gandolfini is just superb.
    The season 5 scene where
    he gets shot by Junior, and is attempting to crawl to the phone is just amazing.

I've recently watched Boardwalk Empire Season 1, and as amazing as it it, it still doesn't compare :)

I've watched it over the last year, and I have a feeling that when it ends I may go straight back to Season 1 and start over again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭GodlessInfidel

Favourite TV show of all time. Paulie Walnuts, what a character he's comedy gold!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The Sopranos was and remains my favorite show of all time, nothing has come close to it for me.

Absolute genius

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

for me the soprano's is by far the best series of all time. i love everything about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Re-watching it at the moment. It just gets better and better with each viewing. Never gets old or any less brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

The pine barren's episode remain's the best by a country mile..Pure brilliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Rewatched the first series recently, series 1 starts off alot different (alot of time with Melfi)
    The scenes with Junior and Livia are superb.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

I've never heard of the show myself...;)

The executive Card game in Season 2 is my favourite episode. Frank Sintra Jnr playing himself, great touch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I know everyone always says that Pine Barrens is the best episode, and it is a great episode, by Long Term Parking remains my favourite.

Whitecaps in season 4 is an excellent episode too - an acting masterclass from Edie Falco and James Gandolfini.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I watched the 'Long Term Parking' episode just last night, brilliant episode. Just season 6 parts 1 & 2 to go now. Have had the full box set for years but never watched it over a constant few weeks like I just have. Super show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Great show. Kind of tailed off a bit in Season 6 but the first five were great.

Pine Barrens was funny - I cracked up the first time watching it.

Not sure I have a favourite episode - there were lots of good ones.

Won't embed - http://youtu.be/m43o5IhAcec

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PhilTorres

Absolutely loved the Sopranos so far it has been my favourite series I have watched although I've yet to see the Wire but that's next on the agenda!

Sopranos was great caught a few mins of season 6 episode 17 tonight on sky atlantic and still good and funny and inciteful! :D

I'm re-watching Spooks and it's just fantastic - different side of the fence but I'd almost put it higher than the Sopranos as imo the only issue with TS was a few of the story lines in season 6 felt a bit forced and out of character.

The Wire I watched episode 1 and never watched episode 2 - just did not like the characters. I am in the minority here though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

Favourite TV show of all time. Paulie Walnuts, what a character he's comedy gold!
    Pine Barrens is my absolute favourite episode!!!

Eating out of the ketchup packets...hehe!

Tony Soprano: [over the phone] It's a bad connection so I'm gonna talk fast! The guy you're looking for is an ex-commando! He killed sixteen Chechen rebels single-handed!

Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: Get the **** outta here.

Tony Soprano: Yeah. Nice, huh? He was with the Interior Ministry. Guy's like a Russian green beret. He can not come back and tell this story. You understand?

Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: I hear you.
    [hangs up]

Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator.

Christopher Moltisanti: His house looked like ****.

Interior Decorator - classic stuff - remember it well and remember watching it for the first time and never laughed so much in my life just a classic episode.

Probably not my favourite episode though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Just watching it again and on Long Term Parking myself.

I know Adriana was naive but I can't help but feel sorry for her. The FBI really are portrayed as knobs in the show, with the slap head being the only one portrayed in anyway decent. :pac:

Cold Cuts is another great episode in Season 5, it nicely sums up how much of a **** Tony can be, depression or no depression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Have about 40% taken up on the Sky+ with the Soprano recordings.Watching third re-run and yet to get tired of it!
    Loved that scene where Christopher and Furio are chopping Richie Aprille in Satriale's. Chrissy says he's unlikely to eat anything from the slicer for a while:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

best series ever, without a doubt! have the boxset and have seen it 4 times now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Greatest tv show of all time for me. I've watched the box sets three times now and have been thinkin lately its time to start all over again.

Would love if they made a movie but another part of me says leave it be.

Lads you'll make me watch it again with all this talk! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Nothing comes close to it as a mafia series imo.
    Have seen Gandolfini on stage and even then he carried the whole show with his larger than life presence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Yeah Gandolfini brought such a presence to the character, I mean you never knew when Tony was going to blow. Sometimes it'd be hilarious (telling Feech to STFU) and sometimes it'd be down right ugly (lashing out at Melfi when she rejects him after trying to be the sweet talking gentleman for much of the episode). Tony really is one of the best characters in TV history, such a multi layered character who you either hated or rooted for depending on the circumstance.

Just finished Made In America anyway and to this day, the ending still fascinates me. We all know the generally accepted theory that Tony's dead, that the last 10 seconds or so of blackness represents Tony's POV i.e. nothingness.

Tony made peace with New York, but who did he really make peace with? Butch? Did Butch really have enough stroke (within such a short space of time) to unify the entire NY family, a family which the show once referred to as having 200 soldiers in its ranks?

As Paulie put it, take out Phil and you'll have a line of "cusarellis" to deal with. The reality is that Tony was probably whacked by a Leotardo who didn't really give a fcuk about what Butch had to say.

Then again, Butch always struck me as a snakey little fcuker and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't call off the hit at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Have been watching The Sopranos a lot recently, mostly Season 1 and Season 2. One thing I have to say, do you think David Chase was trying to make the show into a sort of downward spiral tale for Tony Soprano? It seemed when Jackie Aprile snr was the boss, and Tony was a capo, everything seemed a lot more better and Tony seemed to be a lot more happier. Tony didn't have the weight of being boss on his shoulder, and Jackie seemed to be a lot more effective leader. Once Tony took over, everything just went downhill for Tony.

Anyway, i've always liked the characters that sort rebelled or didn't give a damn who Tony was like Richie, Ralphie and Feech. They were were the best just because they didn't kiss his ass, and were more interesting. On the otherhand, I liked Bobby as well. He's not really a sociopath like the other member, and while he has committed some serious crimes, his character is a lot more likeable then the psychopaths who mostly work with Tony. The way Bobby came out of his shell in Season 6 was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

What the hell happened to Finn?

Way too much sudden stuff happens in S6

Chris - new woman whose first words are "Im pregnant", then fecks off on her, then splits up with new woman, then dies
    Vito, Eugene, Johnny Sack - Suddenly has this huge family we never heard of before. Its like having the family is what kills them in the end.
    A.J - CollegeDropout, 2 jobs, social life, job Tony gets him, black single mother girlfriend - Marriage Proposal, woman leaves him, attempted suicide, new woman, new job. PHEW
    Meadow - New fiance with almost ZERO explanation.
    Bobby - Suddent interest in trains (which ironically kills him), 2 promotions in quick succession, DEATH

I guess Chase ran out of time to make the stories come to a natural conclusion but when you look back on it, the 6th season was way down on the first 5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

I'm watching 6 for the umpteenth time right now and it's still my least favourite season of the six. There are various themes addressed throughout but one that always stands out is the overarching theme of nihilism. The constant reference to Livia's "It's all a big nothing" from earlier in the series. Carmela and Rosalie's trip to Paris in 'Cold Stones' sums up what David Chase is trying to say when Carmela declares that "We worry so much, sometimes it seems like that's all we do. But in the end it just gets washed away." There's a pervading mood of doom that hangs over the characters.

The previous poster is correct though. Important characters come out of nowhere and leave just as quick. There is still so much to digest with the deeply layered plot and dialogue.

The show really is a genuine masterpiece even if season 6 doesn't live up to previous seasons standard though maybe season 6 is misunderstood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Misunderstood... The way they describe godfather 3 in that episode a hit is a hit. I still think they just ran out of time and had to cram everyones swansong in. net result was a let down especially by the shows standards

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

I loved Ralphie in it, he was a real crazy bastard.

Advertisement