Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lessons you learned the hard way?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

No matter what is going on in your life, illness, relationship troubles, bereavements - whatever, the world moves on regardless. If you stop to mope it it will just leave you behind.
    Nobody really cares about your problems, suck it up and get on with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Promises are just a way of saying no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Never settle for being second best. Your gut will tell you and if it does, get out of that relationship fast. The right person will never make you doubt what you mean to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

That there are some truly honest people of integrity and decency out there, but they are few and far between. The vast majority are honest and decent when it suits them, but when push comes to shove, they'd sell their mother into slavery if there was something substantial in it for them. Everyone should be told this when they're 18 imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭2pacshakur

Never ever use a razor to shave your pubes, the itchy ness is unbearable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

That other people desperately want to see you doing worse than them, behaving worse than them, and having less than them. And they will try to tear you down.

That people who say that someone else "will do anything for you if you need help" will abuse your kindness.

That anyone who isn't an idiot is potentially malicious, and cannot be trusted.

That anyone who isn't malicious is potentially an idiot, and cannot be trusted.

That anyone who hasn't been in your shoes is blaming you for everything wrong in your life.

That you should never admit to being poor in a social situation, or being a woman on the internet.

So everyone but you is an idiot and all your problems are other people's fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,984 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bones don't bend much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I said this before, and I'll say it again, Bread Soda and Soda Bread are not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

So everyone but you is an idiot and all your problems are other people's fault?

Not at all. But pretty much nobody can be trusted in the long term, and you can't know what their intentions are. None of this is blaming all of anyone's problems on anyone else.

None of my problems and none of my successes are anyone else's business, and they can all be used against me.

That last bit there is the lesson, everyone but me is not me and can't be trusted with my problems, regardless of whose fault they are. And others knowing about my problems will often lead to judgement and people actively trying to s#it on me.

Always have it explicitly stated in warranty document for IT gear you as a customer are corporate / business.

"Some clients are more equal than others" quote from Work email to me in tech support 18 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

kippy wrote: »
    Don't eat yellow snow.
    Or Low Black Berries !

razorblunt wrote: »
    Never accept a counter offer in the workplace unless you're deliberately trying to call their bluff.
    What if you need a new Counter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

blinding wrote: »
    What if you need a new Counter ?

'twould depend on if the counter adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Promises are just a way of saying no.

you should work for Hallmark, writing messages on the inside of greeting cards

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Get Real

I learned that I was actually fit years ago and took it for granted. Got back into running after three years of being lax, and Christ, I feel dead at a fifth of my previous "normal" run.

Hard facts to face personally.

Smoking nutmeg gives the ****s. Definitely not worth the experiment. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Smoking nutmeg gives the ****s. Definitely not worth the experiment. :D

I took half a bottle of Tesco nutmeg and it was a ****ed up experience. I got high but it was like a dirty weed type of high. Time was really slow, my eyes were extremely red. It's a mix of inebriation and being high.

Ate too much and then got horrible nausea. This is where nutmeg psychosis kicked in and I had my first panic attack ever. Thought I was going to die so called A&E who took me to St. Vincents in Ballsbridge. Did a test and they found THC in my blood and the nurse got angry with me despite me reassuring her I didn't have money for weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Brown sauce in tea is not a thing anyone wants to try. Absolutely vile!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

When she says I'm cuming, cum in me
    that really means impregnate me

You can't taste mifepristone
    in Indian food

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

If your going to poopsturbate in your granny's house, lock the effing door of the crapper first. I'll never forget her face when she walked in to see me, lad in hand, turd halfway out, blasting arcs of jism across the room in her direction. She was never the same after that. RIP granny :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

Your ego will stand in your way about 80% of the time. If you can overcome or ignore your ego, you can learn, see and become so much more valuable and interesting as a human. You can grow as a person. When your ego takes over, you're just reacting. The growing and learning part takes a backseat.

Be curious and learn to be comfortable with not having answers.

I work in Sales, and I get so much further with people by answering questions with "I don't know, actually. That's a really good question. Can you tell me more about what that means to you?" than schooling them on what I assume to know about their industry or the solution I'm selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Never play a game of charades with a fellow hospital patient. Turns out the answer wasn't Flatliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Get Real wrote: »
    I learned that I was actually fit years ago and took it for granted. Got back into running after three years of being lax, and Christ, I feel dead at a fifth of my previous "normal" run.

Hard facts to face personally.

Although it leads to another lesson learned... often becomes easy when easy is often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Always p1ss before leaving a place, even if you don't need to.

Young wans ; Don’t go round to Jeffrey Epstiens House even if it is Andy !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

At national school, it was with the thin end of a ruler with a bitch of a mistress in the first 4 years and a bastard of a master with a Sally rod for the next 4.
    I learned that these were just bullies, not teachers.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Never click on threads to do with immigrants, feminism, the dole, cyclists, climate change, GAA et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Never click on threads to do with immigrants, feminism, the dole, cyclists, climate change, GAA et al.

What if your a mod and need to police them ha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

NIMAN wrote: »
    Bones don't bend much.

That reminds me, always tidy away your laptop charger, especially if you have a wooden floor.

Oh, and never forget to put a towel down on the bathroom floor when you shower/bathe.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭2pacshakur

Stop wasting your time on Internet forums talking to strangers and do something productive.

Advertisement