Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting your pronoun on Linkedin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

More helpful would be which title they needed to be addressed by. The "Dear Miss" etc used to be a pain, but now I just address everyone with "Dear Dr" (in academia, so it doesn't make me seem too ignorant).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It never ceases to amaze me just how worked up people get about this.

Why do people care?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Wibbs wrote: »
    He/She/Fuck off. Sorted.

Have the same feeling about ppl using cis as prefix - you refer to me as cis-woman on forums, you'll get an eff off from me. --> actually, I am waiting for boards to come up with an avatar for this, so that I don't have to say it every time.
    On the serious side, if anyone hears about a new coined title for ppl who're against ageism at work (ageism as promoted by companies like google - you're 40 you can't get a job) - give us a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Sonics2k wrote: »

Why do people care?

Compulsion, m'dear. Compulsion.

the action or state of forcing or being forced to do something; constraint.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Rologyro

How about “vag owner” or “dick owner” as pronouns?

“What did the vag owner say then?”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Why do people care?
    Indeed were it not for those who seem to want to use them they would be ignored.

It’s not just happening on linked in. Twitter has a lot of professional groups on it and I’ve seen it multiple times on there. I don’t see the harm in it tbh. GalwayGrrrrrl she/her

Pics or GTFO

Rologyro wrote: »
    How about “vag owner” or “dick owner” as pronouns?

“What did the vag owner say then?”

Cancer Research UK is way ahead of you. They refer to women as ''anyone who has a cervix''. The British Medical Association officially advises the use of Pregnant People instead of pregnant women. The Guardian refered to women as menstruators. I have yet to notice men being called scrotum havers or penis people but I await at leisure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭brevity

Why do people care?

I don’t care really, call yourself what ever you want. I’m not that precious about language.I remember der/die/das in German!

The problem is that I could lose my job and have my reputation damaged because I innocently said the wrong pronoun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

No harm in people putting their personal pronouns up on Linkedin, be very handy if you're running a business and looking to hire. Be best to avoid anybody who feels the need to share their personal pronouns with the world.

Imagine the toxic atmosphere in a workplace where you had to walk on eggshells all day for fear of 'offending' someone.

Regards

Huntergonzo (carrott, banana, buttplug)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Have seen a discussion recently about the challenges moderators have today in Stack Overflow when handling gender neutral and more recently preferred pronouns (updates to the Code of Conduct)

Info at:

https://cellio.dreamwidth.org/2019/10/05/stack-overflow-fiasco-timeline.html?fbclid=IwAR20Y3W8eC5WA3uPG5f0R1Dtiz33rIlhMaLETe6_Jn9iyQZbF-UJXScRwVA
    Think I am allowed to copy a paragraph - "Same day: An employee with a "director" title posted and pinned a message saying the company is changing the CoC to require use of preferred pronouns and avoiding them is forbidden."

The level of censorship is madness.

mvl wrote: »
    Have seen a discussion recently about the challenges moderators have today in Stack Overflow when handling gender neutral and more recently preferred pronouns (updates to the Code of Conduct)

Info at:

https://cellio.dreamwidth.org/2019/10/05/stack-overflow-fiasco-timeline.html?fbclid=IwAR20Y3W8eC5WA3uPG5f0R1Dtiz33rIlhMaLETe6_Jn9iyQZbF-UJXScRwVA
    Think I am allowed to copy a paragraph - "Same day: An employee with a "director" title posted and pinned a message saying the company is changing the CoC to require use of preferred pronouns and avoiding them is forbidden."

The level of censorship is madness.

Yeah, people still think its a bit of a laugh here, and will die off. But my good friend in America tells me that at almost every meeting, workshop, civic gathering, etc people are asked to go round the circle and give their names and pronouns. She says her name, and I refuse. Like the solid gold lady she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    The pronoun thing is more for people who identify as non-binary, which is nothing more than an attention grab. They're not trans or gay but want to identify as LGBT and this way is perfect. Their pronouns can also change on a daily basis, depending on whether they feel male, female or neither on the day :rolleyes:

Could this be where the 'They' & 'Them' comes from? That a person can mentally switch depending on their mood.
    Before 2014, there were many more health professionals than there are now, who wouldn't hesitate to call this by its clinical name.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I saw this for the first time today on an Irish LinkedIn profile. Their name was down as “Jane Bloggs (she, her)”. This just annoyed me, I think it’s a way for people to feel sanctimonious about how “woke” they are.

Do you think this is going to actually catch on?
    I don't understand the question?

Speaking of genders and official forms, the only official form I have come across which has options of Female / Make / Other is the immigration firm/visa application upon entry into Nepal of all countries. Very woke there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

I would definitely appreciate potential hires informing me on LinkedIn how woke they are. Bullets dodged.

antix80 wrote: »
    Antix80. He /him/his

There are only 2 genders.

Trans men are not biological men.

Trans women are not biological women.

Gender dysphoria is a mental illness.

Mental illness should not be treated with surgery.

All of these things are true.

There has never been a more correct post here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Antix80. He /him/his

You’re confusing gender with sex. Sex is biological and gender is a mix of personal identification and social role. We are born with sex, and we learn gender

faceman wrote: »
    You’re confusing gender with sex. Sex is biological and gender is a mix of personal identification and social role. We are born with sex, and we learn gender

No. Apparently we give children chemicals that shrivel up their uteruses, vaginas and penises, leach density from their bones, retard the development of their frontal lobes, drop their IQ by many points and chop off their breasts and penises when they are still in their teens in order to "do" the gender thing. It is very physical in its present manifestation, not at all a learned or internal thing, gender is now absolutely conflated with biological sex on the physical plane in an utter retardation of human reason and compassion.

ODB, far as I am concerned you can talk about cancer all the time, your mentioning it is one of the most sobering manifestations of sanity on this site. For example I have to go for an uncomfortable procedure soon and I am fwcken squirming non stop at the thoughts of it, but your posts like that are the appropriate kick in the hole for me to stop my grizzling. I wish you all the luck and love in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Antix80. He /him/his

I agree mostly but not the end - what surgery treats mental illness?

And to be fair, when people identify as the other gender, it is treated as a mental illness initially - to rule that out. Hormonal treatment and gender reassignment are way down the line, and the last resort. They are established medical practices following much research, to be fair. Invasive surgery is never taken lightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,051 ✭✭✭Augme

Vicxas wrote: »
    My company is one of those "woke" ones, and all the LGBT people put "schlee/schlim" or whatever they put in their email sigs and wear badges.

It makes me sick to my stomach that this is what the world is.

Why don't you quit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I agree mostly but not the end - what surgery treats mental illness?

And to be fair, when people identify as the other gender, it is treated as a mental illness initially - to rule that out. Hormonal treatment and gender reassignment are way down the line, and the last resort. They are established medical practices following much research, to be fair. Invasive surgery is never taken lightly.

I wouldn’t be so sure. In the UK, there have been cases of minors being prescribed life-changing medication after only a handful of consultations. I read an interview with a former employee of the Tavistock Centre where she said that.

I don’t think any minor should be given either. The surgery is irreversible. And there isn’t enough data on the effects of the hormonal treatment (and not really any ethical way to figure that out). The human brain isn’t done developing until the early-mid 20s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I wouldn’t be so sure. In the UK, there have been cases of minors being prescribed life-changing medication after only a handful of consultations. I read an interview with a former employee of the Tavistock Centre where she said that.

I don’t think any minor should be given either. The surgery is irreversible. And there isn’t enough data on the effects of the hormonal treatment (and not really any ethical way to figure that out). The human brain isn’t done developing until the early-mid 20s.
    It will be interesting to see how the woke handle the backlash that will come 10 to 15 years down the line, when people realise they didn't need the surgery and start questioning why there wasn't stricter controls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It will be interesting to see how the woke handle the backlash that will come 10 to 15 years down the line, when people realise they didn't need the surgery and start questioning why there wasn't stricter controls.

There are already people speaking out about this. Lawd help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

First off, I'm hardly the smartest person and don't understand things like 'woke' but what is this thread about ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

Augme wrote: »
    Why don't you quit?

Why should he ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

cjmc wrote: »
    First off, I'm hardly the smartest person and don't understand things like 'woke' but what is this thread about ???

Apparently LinkedIn is still in use (possibly more popular than I think, I dunno, never really used it) and people are now putting their preferred pronoun on there so people can correctly label call them by their preferred pronoun.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I saw this for the first time today on an Irish LinkedIn profile. Their name was down as “Jane Bloggs (she, her)”. This just annoyed me, I think it’s a way for people to feel sanctimonious about how “woke” they are.

She, her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

There are already people speaking out about this. Lawd help them.
    It's dangerous to speak out or question the status quo. People are labelled transphobic, get fired and face abuse on social media. It's crazy.

• Advertisement

It's dangerous to speak out or question the status quo. People are labelled transphobic, get fired and face abuse on social media. It's crazy.

Maya Forstater, for example, who is presently legally defending the right to publicly state that human beings cannot literally change sex - https://www.theguardian.com/law/2019/nov/15/researcher-defends-tweets-on-trans-rights-at-employment-tribunal

Advertisement