Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Climate Morons on The Late Late Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

We've listened and we've understood the message. Everyone wants to pay more taxes to help the climate.

No. Not. The. ****. We want alternative choices to use! Provide us with alternative energy supplies and we will use them. ARE WE CLEAR ENOUGH?

GIVE US CLEAR ALTERNATIVES AND WE WILL USE THEM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

emo72 wrote: »
    We've listened and we've understood the message. Everyone wants to pay more taxes to help the climate.

No. Not. The. ****. We want alternative choices to use! Provide us with alternative energy supplies and we will use them. ARE WE CLEAR ENOUGH?

GIVE US CLEAR ALTERNATIVES AND WE WILL USE THEM.
    Anger is an energy, caps-lock man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

LirW wrote: »
    Imagine being an adult who gets worked up over a few youngsters talking about something that matters to them on the Late Late show of all places after a full week of work when it's time to relax and unwind.

Just press the red button on the remote, better for your blood pressure.

But you see this is the thing that annoys me, climate change doesn’t matter to them. This is the newest fad for privately educated teenage pisspots like the ones that got their mugs on tv last night.

Being a climate change activist is the new Uber cool trend sweeping the nation and teenagers are falling for it big style. It’s all about the illusion that they’re making all these radical changes for the greater good. I’d say they all walked from the Dáil out to RTE last night did they? No they didn’t, they would have hopped on big toxic to the environment buses out to the studios and you can be damn sure they’d have had the heating full on on those buses. These activists are so self righteous it’s gone beyond funny at this stage. They’re like miniature self entitled Bono’s walking around ramming their opinions down people’s throats.

For those that don’t know, Greta Thunberg’s trip to New York on the boat ended up with all her crew having to take flights over and back to take the boat back to Europe after she got off. But nobody in her camp speaks about it because good old Greta is changing the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Well the problem is that its probably too late to stop the runaway greenhouse effect even if we cut our emissions dramatically. So the chances of anyone ever being able to say we have reversed man made climate change are remote

No we wont. Not even the IPCC are using that type of sensationalism.

This is what they say about 'runaway greenhouse effect' and no it does not form part of their modeling.
    "a 'runaway greenhouse effect'—analogous to [that of] Venus—appears to have virtually no chance of being induced by anthropogenic activities."

Source: IPCC Fifth Assessment Report
    Venus-like conditions on the Earth require a large long-term forcing that is unlikely to occur until the sun brightens by a few tens of percents, which will take a few billion years

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3785813/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I think a lot of this is just a fad and we humans tend to be a bit tribal and need groups to rally around, particularly as organised religion is not as popular as it was.

In the last few years we've had Kony the African warlord, metoo, black lives matter, immigrants crossing the Med and in an Irish context, water charges and homelessness. This is just the latest cause for people to group around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I agree with on this matter, far fewer insects inc bees, moths and butterflies over past two decades. However the cause for this is not likely climate change as such. I suspect insecticides sprayed in agriculture.

100%.
    People have conflated pollution and improper husbandry and endless growth fantasies with some amorphous ever changing melange of concepts grouped for newspeak purposes as Climate Change. Of course the climate is changing. But by far a bigger problem is vast pollution and disruption of the environment with pharmaceuticals. It is easy to bang the big drum and talk about climate change taxes, it is much harder to challenge the big employers and money producing cartels of global pharmaceutical and chemical industries and say to them, hey I think your products have lowered sperm counts, devastated insect populations, increased cancer rates, etc so would you mind stopping. Its a fecking lark. My local village shop sells gallons of glyphosphate, every piece of fruit and vegetable has been drenched in pesticide and fertiliser, every new piece of furniture has been copiously srayed with chemicals, and yet all I hear about is some huge omnipotent sky devil called climate change who must be appeased with sacrifice and howling.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I agree with on this matter, far fewer insects inc bees, moths and butterflies over past two decades. However the cause for this is not likely climate change as such. I suspect insecticides sprayed in agriculture.

I'd disagree. The thing is that extensive animal farming uses few routine insecticides. The single biggest users of insecticide spraying in agriculture worldwide is in arable and horticultural type production - which we have a fairly low amount of due to the topography and climatic conditions in this country.

A significant decline in species diversity has been recognised for some time and predates much of the current hysteria and alarmism (and no that does not deny climate change btw).

According to research with regard to species loss and extinction
    The loss of diversity ultimately is linked with " drivers of ... immediate causes of biotic destruction, namely, human overpopulation and continued population growth, and overconsumption,"

https://www.pnas.org/content/114/30/E6089

Again back to the root cause or elephant in the room that much of the current movement is ignoring - the burgeoning human population and the multitude of environmental impacts that entails.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

I'm not a crackpot. I just think that 97 per cent of the world's climatologists are wrong about climate change.
    Well being in a 3% group makes you scientifically an outlier or as you might say a "crackpot".
    What informed method have you used to deny the claims of almost all scientific bodies on climate change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't know how anyone can enjoy living in the rubbish tip we seem to be turning our land into. You stroll along the beach, see piles of plastic flotsam wrapped around dead birds and think "ahhhh, beautiful" .

You take in those diesel fumes on a walk in the city and think, "mmmm what a nice smell"?

What is the actual advantage to polluting everything we have?

gozunda wrote: »

Again back to the root cause or elephant in the room that much of the current movement is ignoring - the burgeoning human population and the multitude of environmental impacts that entails.

How this isn't spoken about more I do not know. We are destroying the world primarily through overpopulation and overconsumption. Climate change is a direct cause of this and this is scientifically accepted.

So number one on our plan should be to control population growth. This is difficult when countries want MORE growth+++, and we come up with disgraceful self serving models like who will pay our pension if there's not enough young people!
    Having children should be an honour and not a right. This goes against our history of population growth. But there are now too many of us.
    The practilities of reducing population is complex and unpalatable but needs serious debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Field east

Motivator wrote: »
    Are these people actually serious with this climate carry on? Why do they all look and sound the same? Specky twats with terrible names and even worse fake accents.

When will this end?

They remind me of my experience at secondary school. There were a few students in my class that were ‘ loud mouths’ . They grasped at any opportunity to expound on anything. Would lead any protest /strike, had an opinion on everything, etc, etc. they ended up being solicitors, judges, barristers, advocates and suchlike. It was the same in the class behind and ahead of me. They sure knew what they were doing - using every opportunity honing their skills / developing a profile- irrespective of what the subject was.
    Just wondering what they all will be doing 10 yrs from now re the environment..-
    - no more overseas holidays?
    -eat locally produced food only or at most has to be grown/ produced in Ireland?
    -Buy and ware clothes manufactured in Ireland and from Irish woven fabric?
    - become vegans or vegetarian?
    - only live in an A rated house.
    -above house re heating and hot water via solar panels
    - own one EV if a car is a must and only to the size required.
    - walk to services , work, shops, etc where distance is reasonable.
    - use public transport at every opportunity.
    - purchase good quality rain gear and that’s warm so that wet weather is not an excuse to avoid walking for exercise/ going to shop.
    - etc
    -etc
    -etc
    -etc
    OR WILL THEY CHERRY PICK and say ‘ Look at what I am doing, what are you doing’

in the Indo
    "Looming pensions time bomb will lead to €3bn deficit in social welfare fund"
    What will be the solution....will it result in less population, less consumerism and less impact on climate. No the only solutions will be.
    1) GROWTH our nemesis or
    2) Acceptance we cannot fund this in a sustainable environmentally friendly way and change our system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

gozunda wrote: »
    I'd disagree. The thing is that extensive animal farming uses few routine insecticides. The single biggest users of insecticide spraying in agriculture worldwide is in arable and horticultural type production - which we have a fairly low amount of due to the topography and climatic conditions in this country.

A significant decline in species diversity has been recognised for some time and predates much of the current hysteria and alarmism (and no that does not deny climate change btw).

According to research with regard to species loss and extinction

Having houses built big enough to fit an elephant in a room is environmentally unfriendly and we should stop doing it. Also ban kicking cans down the street. Pick them up and put them in the bin

Field east wrote: »
    They remind me of my experience at secondary school. There were a few students in my class that were ‘ loud mouths’ . They grasped at any opportunity to expound on anything. Would lead any protest /strike, had an opinion on everything, etc, etc. they ended up being solicitors, judges, barristers, advocates and suchlike. It was the same in the class behind and ahead of me. They sure knew what they were doing - using every opportunity honing their skills / developing a profile- irrespective of what the subject was.
    Just wondering what they all will be doing 10 yrs from now re the environment..-
    - no more overseas holidays?
    -eat locally produced food only or at most has to be grown/ produced in Ireland?
    -Buy and ware clothes manufactured in Ireland and from Irish woven fabric?
    - become vegans or vegetarian?
    - only live in an A rated house.
    -above house re heating and hot water via solar panels
    - own one EV if a car is a must and only to the size required.
    - walk to services , work, shops, etc where distance is reasonable.
    - use public transport at every opportunity.
    - purchase good quality rain gear and that’s warm so that wet weather is not an excuse to avoid walking for exercise/ going to shop.
    - etc
    -etc
    -etc
    -etc
    OR WILL THEY CHERRY PICK and say ‘ Look at what I am doing, what are you doing’

And the solution is?

work wrote: »
    How this isn't spoken about more I do not know. We are destroying the world primarily through overpopulation and overconsumption. Climate change is a direct cause of this and this is scientifically accepted.

So number one on our plan should be to control population growth. This is difficult when countries want MORE growth+++, and we come up with disgraceful self serving models like who will pay our pension if there's not enough young people!
    Having children should be an honour and not a right. This goes against our history of population growth. But there are now too many of us.
    The practilities of reducing population is complex and unpalatable but needs serious debate.

I am not so certain on this over population argument. It often seems to disguise misanthropy and certain other ugly yet subtle sentiments. It is never far away from eugenics arguments. There is an inherent superiority complex in it - I am born, I am alive and now I will decide who can be born or how many can be alive...that kind of thing. As far as I am aware the population will regulate itself in numbers in the next several decades - there are convincing arguments made to that effect. They can be googled.
    Over consumption now, that is a different matter and I completely agree we vastly over consume.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

MadYaker wrote: »
    You don't understand the topic if that's what you think. I'm past caring about this anyway. I think it's hopeless and we can't change our ways so were fcuked. The consequences won't fully manifest in our lifetimes hopefully.
    Haven't seen the late late but the science and logic is pointing towards massive environmental change brought about by humans. Anyone saying different is putting their heads in the sand.
    I'd agree with this this post though. We are incapable of changing enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

I find it interesting how this generation of 'Climate Crisis' types use the same tactics as the Youth Defence types of Holy Catholic Ireland in the 80s. It's the same middle class self-righteous demographic. They have just switched from Padre Pio to David Attenborough.

It'll be the same families. Same neighborhoods, private schools, civil service jobs and condescending accents.

The Dev Establishment with a new set of Comely Tuberty's 'Deeply Concerned' at the Crossroads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Field east

Wibbs wrote: »
    They already are albeit in small ways in the environment at least as far as the average person goes, but I agree with you M, we can;t change our ways, at least not in the long term, we tend to think in the here and now and that seems to be increasing with the fast pace of change most of us live in today. The idea of changing now for something that might happen in five years time is outside most people's wheelhouse, the idea of a century or two from now is off the radar entirely.

It’s not off the radar if the action is supported. Land owners getting an annual payment to grow trees which capture carbon. The gov ‘ gets paid’ by the EU re carbon credits and the current forest owners get none of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Ireland represents 0.06% of the worlds population. What we do in this country has absolutely no impact on the world’s climate. At 36 years of age, I really don’t need to be lectured by some jumped up privately schooled toadface on a Friday evening telling me to buy second hand jeans in order to save the planet.

You are 36 and you sit in on a Friday night watching the Late Late?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Deniers really are a strange lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

easypazz wrote: »
    You are 36 and you sit in on a Friday night watching the Late Late?
    Somebody has to be there to make Mammys cocoa while she keeps asking " when is Uncle Gaybo on?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Having less kids is the ultimate contribution you can make to help avert climate change. People don’t seem to want to do that though, so they get a bit moralistic and self-righteous to make up for it. Abortion is good for the environment.

Having less kids is the ultimate contribution you can make to help avert climate change. Abortion is good for the environment.

Maybe clinics could use that rallying cry in their tag lines and advertsing literature. Very zeitgeist-y of them. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 66,840 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Having less kids is the ultimate contribution you can make to help avert climate change. People don’t seem to want to do that though, so they get a bit moralistic and self-righteous to make up for it. Abortion is good for the environment.

My wife and I have decided we don't want kids.
    We are telling them after our vegan, locally sourced dinner this evening.

Re China
    They also have much much higher populations so there has to be more emissions

Not so.

China went past European per capita emissions in 2014

According to World Bank data China had the highest emissions of greenhouse gases in the world and climbing whilst their per capita emissions now above the EU average. 

China continues to commission hundreds of new coal fired power stations and provides expertise and resources to build coal power stations for other countries such as Pakistan etc. China remains the single biggest emitter of greenhouse gases worldwide. Funny how all that keeps getting swept under the carpet.

https://youtu.be/ywy5aSjP7J0

gozunda wrote:
    China went past European per capita emissions in 2014

China has also far exceeded investments into alternatives than an other country

Dr. Bre wrote:
    Over population a massive problem. Less population less demand to eat meat and to drive everywhere etc.. of course a cull can’t be mentioned without upsetting people so we will carry on polluting and pointing the finger at each other

A cull!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

They need to get back to whatever private school they bunked off of today and learn some manners.

Specky twats.

"Specky twats" mentioned twice. Is there any point reading back over the thread, or does that represent quality the quality of the posts.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Over population a massive problem. Less population less demand to eat meat and to drive everywhere etc.. of course a cull can’t be mentioned without upsetting people so we will carry on polluting and pointing the finger at each other

Gosh, so true. Dagnabbit. Humans and their silly sensitivities. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This climate frenzy is satisfying the age-old fantasy of many young people; to get on the telly and be famous. Doesn't matter if they come across as ridiculous. Where do these American accents come from? I worry about the future, not due to climate but due to the breed of idiots we're bringing up.

Advertisement