Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Long term renters

Options
  • 15-01-2019 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Obviously not everyone can (or wants to) buy at the moment. I’m curious to know what is the plan for long term renters at retirement age though?

By then, if you own a place, the bank will have calculated your mortgage so that its paid by the time you retire. How do you keep paying €1.5k per month on a 2 bed in citywest when your income is slashed? Are we going to end up with this as a national problem in 30 years time?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Are we going to end up with this as a national problem in 30 years time?

In my opinion, yes.

Ageing population
    Longer life expectancy
    Lower levels of home ownerships
    Unsustainable pensions

It's a timebomb that's been ticking for a while. I don't expect it will take 30 years for it to go off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Graham wrote: »
    In my opinion, yes.

Ageing population
    Longer life expectancy
    Lower levels of home ownerships
    Unsustainable pensions

It's a timebomb that's been ticking for a while. I don't expect it will take 30 years for it to go off.

In twenty years we will have a large group approaching retirement age with no protection in retirement meaning there will be a huge burden on the State. And the generations behind them will be the same.
    Emergency measures to build a tonne of properties in the employment hubs desperately need to be introduced now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Retirement age will steadily increase.
    Some kind of state sponsored senior living centres will be brought in, similar to the homeless hubs today.
    People will work til they die.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Retired people renting will have to move away from where they once lived and worked. There is no way the councils will be able to afford to house them. I laugh when people say prices can't keep going up because they certainly can. Given the tax breaks for large property renters they can keep buying.

Look at any city they expands and property is priced away from people but it doesn't stop the property being bought and sold. It just happens they are being traded by companies and the wealthy. That is because they can make money doing it. The idea that some person on a low wage should be able to buy it or afford the rent is a dream and unfair at that. Look at council houses bought by residents in London. They buy and sell immediately because they get a huge windfall and can stop working. Social housing should never be sold.

New thinking is needed. Converting housing stock for OAPs is what we need to do. Large areas around Dublin are full of OAPs who aren't travelling to work yet close to employment while the working population is commuting long hours. It is madness and the country is paying fines for emissions as a result. We are actually subsidising long commutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

In twenty years we will have a large group approaching retirement age with no protection in retirement meaning there will be a huge burden on the State. And the generations behind them will be the same.
    Emergency measures to build a tonne of properties in the employment hubs desperately need to be introduced now.

Dont forget the small time landlords who are trying to avoid this scenario and get a little extra in retirement are been crusified by the government. The logic is mad that they want people to to prepare for retirement but when they do the tax Hammer and a list of other laws are drawn up to drive landlords out of business.

• Advertisement
Advertisement