Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Listowel Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

welcome to the thread. I am afraid that this is not as active as it was in the past.

Every week I put on the church newsletter and unfortunately that is sometimes the only contribution every week.

If you look back over the past contributions you will see the previous activity.

It would be nice if this could be achieved again.

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Been a few months since I've been in Listowel but am going there for the June bank holiday weekend. Hope the weather is kind and am looking forward to wandering around the town and spending a few bob. Hopefully a visit to Ballybunion on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Radio5

There's parking in the community college or across the road from there in the emmets pitch!

Thanks, looking forward to it!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Radio5 wrote: »
    Thanks, looking forward to it!!!

Bring some good weather with you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

See that they are installing cabinets for the fibre optic broadband today across from Heaphys and Aldi.Anyone know when its going live.

Don't know if its related but great to see the new footpaths been dug up again
    up cahirdown .Great planning I have to say.

codie wrote: »
    See that they are installing cabinets for the fibre optic broadband today across from Heaphys and Aldi.Anyone know when its going live.

Don't know if its related but great to see the new footpaths been dug up again
    up cahirdown .Great planning I have to say.
    That's good to hear about the fibre optic cabinets being installed its just around the corner from me.

That's a disgrace there digging all them footpaths up again. Who in the council is making them bloody decisions, its no wonder we have to pay property tax.

The town council are some waste of space!

Church Newsletter

Church Newsletter

church newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Radio5

Really enjoyed my recent visit to Listowel and thanks for the tips re parking. It took me a little time to sort out the weather but hopefully, you all enjoyed last week's sunshine!!!

Radio5 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed my recent visit to Listowel and thanks for the tips re parking. It took me a little time to sort out the weather but hopefully, you all enjoyed last week's sunshine!!!

Haven't seen such a good atmosphere around the town in a long time. It was much needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Was in Listowel for the June bank holiday weekend. Great crowd and atmosphere there. Good to see it. Was very relaxing. Going back again for a weekend in late July.

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Could anyone tell me what the story is behind the person dressed in a horse costume while cycling from Listowel to Tralee direction this evening?

I went to Listowel to register for the Ring of Kerry for Down Syndrome Ireland, Kerry and we encountered that character walking with his bike (looked well loaded down too) while heading toward Tralee and I'm wondering what his story is, if anyone knows :)

Many Thanks in advance,

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

It is with great sadness that one notes the death of Jim Cogan.

To his wife and family, my sincerest sympathy.

His contributions to this thread will be sorely missed. Those ' lovely writings ' will be no more.

From a distant Phoenix, Arizona, all honour to him, & may he rest in peace.

--- Marty S.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

It is with great sadness that one notes the death of Jim Cogan.

To his wife and family, my sincerest sympathy.

His contributions to this thread will be sorely missed. Those ' lovely writings ' will be no more.

From a distant Phoenix, Arizona, all honour to him, & may he rest in peace.

--- Marty S.

It looks like this site is going to get very quiet with the passing of Jim, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

Sadly I must report the death of my brother, Michael Sheehy, formerly of 8 Main Street, lately of Bronx River Road, Yonkers, New York, at Memorial-Sloan Kettering Cancer Hospital, Manhattan, N.Y., on September 7th., 2013.

Michael loved Listowel and these pages & threads & will surely keep on eye on our postings here from another sphere.

May he R.I.P.

---Marty S.

Who in the council decided the week before the races would be a good time to dig up all the footpaths on convent street leading to the racecourse?

Really shows joined up thinking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Who in the council decided the week before the races would be a good time to dig up all the footpaths on convent street leading to the racecourse?

Really shows joined up thinking!

If it means that they are finally laying fibre optic cable, I don't care when they do it.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    If it means that they are finally laying fibre optic cable, I don't care when they do it.

A week later wouldn't have made much difference. Its going to cause havoc next week if not finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Jadytte

Ooh, just came across this forum, delighted to find it as living just outside Listowel :D

:confused: digging up pavements the week before races... that does seem like a very bad idea.. hope it is finished by next week

on another note, I've posted elsewhere, but if anyone has interest in board games (or just want to give it a try/do something different of an evening), a few of us have taken to meeting up to play in Listowel every week or two, and if anyone is interested to join, we'll be playing this Wednesday in the Arms at 8pm :)

Fair play to the council, they were laying the concrete on the paths this morning back convent street.

But now they have cones lining william street tonight, I hope there not going ripping up that stretch of road!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Fair play to the council, they were laying the concrete on the paths this morning back convent street.

But now they have cones lining william street tonight, I hope there not going ripping up that stretch of road!

The timing would be shocking but they really need to resurface that junction. It's appalling.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    The timing would be shocking but they really need to resurface that junction. It's appalling.

There's one pothole outside hooters, you would lose the car in it. They should stop parking on that street, would really get the traffic moving faster.

The square and church street are an absolute disgrace this morning. Around the chipper van in the square there is literally a mountain of chipper wrappers and discarded food boxes.

When the council are selling permits to these vendors do they not stipulate that they clean within ten metres of the chip van every night after closing. And if they don't maybe they should start.

Outside mama mias is the same. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Go up outside jumbos any night, and he's staff will clean the whole length of the street that hes business is situated on.

Its easy to see who has respect for the town that they trade in!

All right guys & gals,

Let's keep this thread going.

From Listowel to Dublin, from Listowel to Australia, from Listowel to NYC & USA of America, from Listowel to Timbucktoo let us shout out the news and keep/make Listowel ' alive ' to those of us who participate here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 brownja

All right guys & gals,

Let's keep this thread going.

Ok fine.

Yank here. But i did spend a lot of time is Listowel as a kid. Eva and Donie Finucane were my Aunt and Uncle and spent quite a few summers hanging out at the bar on Upper William St and tearing up the town with my cousins.

I still manage to get back every few years. Most recently was this Summer. Got to go into the castle for the first time. That was fun and it gives a nice view of the track across the river.

Listowel remains one of my favorite towns. Not too big, not too small. Just right.

Cheers,
    jb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

got an invite from An Beal Bocht to pay the thread a visit, since last time here we have lost two great contributors and friends, Lovely Writer and Listowel 8. I would like to remember them both and also one of the original contributors to the thread, Sandhill Road.
    Today, Listowel is like a real old post races day, dark and gloomy, hopefully it is not a prelude to an early winter, we have been totally spoiled and blessed with all the good weather these past months.
    For those not in the know, next Thursday is the the day of the October Horse fair. The Listowel Horse Fair is one of only a few left in the country.
    Venue, Market Street and the back market yard.
    Time, gets going between 10 and 11 pm.

Advertisement