Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning Pop up

• 14-11-2018 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I just clicked into an airport official website page and a pop up saying "A website you have visited today has infected your Mac with a virus" appeared, I closed the page and cleared my data and cookies and checked my extensions is there anything else I should do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

I just clicked into an airport official website page and a pop up saying "A website you have visited today has infected your Mac with a virus" appeared, I closed the page and cleared my data and cookies and checked my extensions is there anything else I should do

Go to www.malwarebytes.com and check u don’t have some adware on ur mac

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

would this not appear in extensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

would this not appear in extensions?

Possibly, if you are clever enough to know them all and recognise malware behaviour, and there are many places for extensions but judging by your question I assumed you do not know them all. Even knowing them I’d still run a malware check to be sure but it could just equally be a hacked site

• Registered Users Posts: 42 melchior1951

Most likely the website you visited displayed malicious ads. This is a quite common scheme, often you see ads as well with the title 'Is your Mac slow?' or warnings about viruses found on your Mac. Sometimes they are made to look like a warning dialog from the operating system. When you click on it, they try to sell you useless anti-virus or similar software. Don't worry about it.

Advertisement