Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its been mentioned already how would you or many like if say you are a 9-5 working day where tomorrow they say we will let you know the day before the time you start and finish.

You can't plan a thing or say you definitely would be around.

If you work in the service industry, this is a way of life. Being a public transport driver is the service industry.

Proper rotas could be done if everyone worked them - they're only poor for spares due to the marked in nonsense

CIEs working practices are Victorian through and through, this is just a facet of it. The unions' willingness to shaft newer staff and coddle longer serving ones (across the board in the public sector) doesn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Stephen15 wrote: »
    No its not the routes that are indentified to be working fine will be kept the ones that aren't will be changed or scrapped.

Are you sure about that? Based on the Choices report it looked like all would go and we'd be left with core routes A-G.

concept-spines.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=500&rnd=131412328490000000

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

L1011 wrote: »
    If you work in the service industry, this is a way of life. Being a public transport driver is the service industry.

Proper rotas could be done if everyone worked them - they're only poor for spares due to the marked in nonsense

CIEs working practices are Victorian through and through, this is just a facet of it. The unions' willingness to shaft newer staff and coddle longer serving ones (across the board in the public sector) doesn't help either.

So you're saying sure its grand to not know a working day or times???

That's an extremely poor attitude to take towards those doing these jobs.

Quite simply if it were to stay as is until ones retirement they would have no staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Any idea if the GO AHEAD lads will operate out of existing depots?!

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Any idea if the GO AHEAD lads will operate out of existing depots?!

No they must have their own garage and facilities

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

So you're saying sure its grand to not know a working day or times???

That's an extremely poor attitude to take towards those doing these jobs.

Quite simply if it were to stay as is until ones retirement they would have no staff.

If there was a modern rota system, people would know their working days and times well in advance.

The nonsense of "spares" and "marked in" ensures that the spares don't. Scrap the Victoriana and that goes with it.

Surprisingly enough, the rest of the transport industry that works to rotas haven't lost all their staff to it.

The poor attitude in this scenario is from the "marked in" ensuring that the "spares" continue to get screwed so they can have their easy life. So much for the mutual support the unions go on about...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Just a point again about the new bus stop signs in Cork. When you apply them at the bus stops in Dublin; they will all be branded to Transport For Ireland multi-operator bus stops. This mean that all operators running bus services in Dublin will have, to comply under NTA rules from The Dublin Transport Authority Act of 2008, to accept sharing their designated stops with other operators in the GDA.

Dublin Bus will no longer be allowed to rebrand their own old stops because that will eventually become illegal under the DTA act of 2008 which set up the NTA. This is because as it will be counted as Dublin Bus breaking their terms of their contract with the NTA. GA will have to use them as well to share with other bus operators to run their routes in Dublin. These new rules will apply to every other operator across the Republic of Ireland when they are officially built to continue running their services.

In some parts of South Dublin; these new operators will be expected to be available in areas where there will be catered for more then two operators. These areas I would highlight be areas like Blackrock, Stillorgan and Kilmacud as those same stops will have three operators displayed at one bus stop sign. These 3 operators will be Dublin Bus, Go-Ahead & Aircoach. Under this new multi bus system; customers will have to wait at the same simplified stops with 3 operators under the new TFI bus stop signage rather than having 3 separate bus stops under 3 different operators. I suppose the point on the last paragraph is correct. Right.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Further to what dublinman1990 says above, here is an example of the new style bus stop down in Cork:

Bus_Stop.jpg

Now this is a single operator sign, with a single route. Note it says "Bus Eireann" and their symbol.

Where there are multiple routes it would say something like:
    219 220 221

Where there are multiple operators, then the sign would be longer and you would have extra rows, something like:

Dublin Bus
    7 9
    Go Ahead
    Aircoach
    701 702

In fairness the TFI logo is very small on it. You can also see the space for timetables, etc. on the bottom of the above picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

bk wrote: »
    Further to what dublinman1990 says above, here is an example of the new style bus stop down in Cork:

Bus_Stop.jpg

Now this is a single operator sign, with a single route. Note it says "Bus Eireann" and their symbol.

Where there are multiple routes it would say something like:
    219 220 221

Where there are multiple operators, then the sign would be longer and you would have extra rows, something like:

Dublin Bus
    7 9
    Go Ahead
    Aircoach
    701 702

In fairness the TFI logo is very small on it. You can also see the space for timetables, etc. on the bottom of the above picture.

I would imagine it be more like this after tendering. Take the Foxrock Church northbound stop as an example

Dublin Local Services
    46a 75 84x 145

Aircoach

Finegan Bray

Remember the NTA want to make all current Dublin Bus services completely brand neutral. They could also be looking doing to do the same to all PSO services so BE PSO serving services may also be rebranded to Dublin Regional Services perhaps.

Anyway here is a prototype. Its most likely outdated as it has the old TFI logo.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Remember the NTA want to make all current Dublin Bus services completely brand neutral. They could also be looking doing to do the same to all PSO services so BE PSO serving services may also be rebranded to Dublin Regional Services perhaps.

Perhaps, but then Cork has some non BE local services now, but all the BE stops still say BE.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Perhaps, but then Cork has some non BE local services now, but all the BE stops still say BE.

Are they PSO services?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The new stops are a step in the right direction, but I do think that the yellow stop poles in Dublin are much more visible than these - for anyone with a sight impairment (and indeed the rest of us) it's much easier to see stops in the distance.

That was one of the main reasons for the choice of colour.

I'm not giving my opinion I'm stating fact because the fact of the matter is that replacing over 7,000 stops isin't cheap. Maybe in a city with a small network like Cork it is easy to bring these things but not in Dublin where there is a growing network of 110 routes with over 7,000 stops.

Whenever DB do rebrand they don't pulling up every single pole and replacing it they generally just rebrand in the new colours and new branding rather than pull it up and replace it. I don't know about Cork because I don't live there but I find that DB's stops are generally well kept and up to date. Yes there are some stops which could do with timetables and shelters but stops generally aren't much of issue with regards to DB.

It is going to take several years to roll these out given the cost involved - it will be a gradual process.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Just looking at GA site, I haven't heard of them signing contracts yet, 14 days up tomorrow 25/08. But they do have a Dublin page now including email for people interested in working there and have listed an address on Harcourt Road.

https://www.go-ahead.com/en/site-services/go-ahead-dublin.html

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Can we please keep this thread on-topic and related to the 10% of routes which have been awarded to Go-Ahead.

The posts in relation to detailed discussion of self driving technology have been combined with the existing thread on the topic:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2057779672

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Maybe be putting 2 and 2 together to get 5 but has anyone noticed a massive increase in middle door usage on buses since this tender was lost?

Maybe be putting 2 and 2 together to get 5 but has anyone noticed a massive increase in middle door usage on buses since this tender was lost?

Why would that matter or change due to it....

If anything they should stop using as a big middle finger to nta....

Not really - I've certainly noticed that they have been increasingly used over the last year being honest about it.

Nothing particularly recent at all.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Not really - I've certainly noticed that they have been increasingly used over the last year being honest about it.

Nothing particularly recent at all.

I would put a lot down to pure not use to them and I find lot use and people still pile for front door.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I would put a lot down to pure not use to them and I find lot use and people still pile for front door.

Including me, I've been left too many times waiting at a middle door and not seeing them open and missing my stop so that is why I often go for the front door because at least I know that is going to open.

You can't expect passengers to wait at the middle door if there is no assurance said door will open, absloutely not a passenger issue IMHO, more of an issue about stops and inconsistant use.

• Advertisement

Well unless and until they are opened by every driver at every stop, and the AV/AX fleet is replaced in full, many people are still going to head towards the front door out of pure habit.

You cannot expect people to change their habits that easily - especially when some drivers still refuse point blank to use them.

(And before you have a go at me - I've long said that I can understand why they aren't used at certain locations, but there are many locations where it's perfectly safe to do so).

Very true from both of you but there are times the bus can't get in or is at a 45° angle or cars parked or stop itself is only small and so on.

Very true from both of you but there are times the bus can't get in or is at a 45° angle or cars parked or stop itself is only small and so on.

I am not disputing that at all as per my post above (nor do I think is devnull), but there is still a reasonably large number of drivers (generally older ones) who simply won't bother using them outside the city centre, even at stops where it's perfectly safe to do so.

Until that changes and they become the norm, people will still head towards the front doors.

Having said that, they do seem to be used at virtually all city centre stops by the majority of drivers nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭john boye

I've noticed a big increase in recent months. Think a lot of it is down to so many new recruits taken on in the last year or so but it seems to be up across the board.

Obivously there's been an increase since the gt class was first introduced but I wouldn't say there's been a huge increase in recent months maybe a slight but not a huge one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭VG31

There has been some increase in their usage over the last year or so but it's mainly due to the increasing number of new drivers.

There's a few drivers on my route that barely used them when they were first introduced and use them regularly now. There's still a lot of drivers who don't use them though.

VG31 wrote: »
    There has been some increase in their usage over the last year or so but it's mainly due to the increasing number of new drivers.

There's a few drivers on my route that barely used them when they were first introduced and use them regularly now. There's still a lot of drivers who don't use them though.

Maybe mangement have made a push towards drivers to use them more often

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭VG31

Maybe mangement have made a push towards drivers to use them more often

Quite possibly, but some drivers must be completely ignoring them.

We've had posts on here from people claiming to be drivers with apparent, rather insane, reasons for refusing to use them despite instruction. If they were actually drivers, the level of new recruits could be a factor as they wouldn't have the same attitudes as long serving staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the only reason i have saw on here for their lack of use is concernes about the safety of some stops, which with our compo culture is understandible. if they aren't opening them at stops where it is safe then management need to deal with that as is their job.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

Advertisement