Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair - New reserved seating structure(s)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lucian_lcr

And probably you'll be glad to switch seats with one of his parents, rather than hear him crying all flight long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭ger664

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    if a 4yr old kid got put next to me because its parent didn't pay the extra fee I'd go mental - especially if I PAID for a specific seat!

The 4 year old kid might turn out to be the best bit of crack you ever had on a flight too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭ger664

All of this seat assignment stuff IMO is going to play havoc with Ryan Air's ability to get their plane of the ground on time as they normally used let the priority on pick whatever seat they wanted and then the rest got on and just sat down somewhere. I dont give a toss where I sit on the plane but I do hate sitting on the ground in one on the runway because we missed our take-off slot.

ger664 wrote: »
    All of this seat assignment stuff IMO is going to play havoc with Ryan Air's ability to get their plane of the ground on time...

You may be right! Actually there are some studies about fastest air plane boarding method, and the "allocated seats with no boarding priority" is one of the worst, being much slower than the "no seat allocation" method. They should probably soon introduce the priority boarding for some of the seats (like the window seats only), in order to fasten the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

New Ryanair website launching today according to this article:

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-announces-200-new-tech-jobs-at-dublin-base-1.1748826

"In addition to creating 500 new jobs for pilots, engineers and cabin crew in 2014, Ryanair will now create a further 200 jobs in its new Dublin offices, to develop its improved Ryanair.com digital platform (which will be released to the public later today) as well as its new mobile app at end June."

Looking forward to seeing what sort of improvements they have in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

This post has been deleted.

NOTE from tomorrow you can check in 30 days before your flight!

"From the 8th April 2014 onwards, the opening times for online check-in will be extended to between 30 days and 2 hours before each flight."
    https://www.ryanair.com/ie/notices/140403-changes-to-online-check-in-deadlines_en/

Correction - 30 day check in is only available if you have purchased an allocated seat. Otherwise 7 days and you will be allocated a seat by the "system" (though as we have established, it is not literally "random", but rather in a sequence).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Kind of annoying if your return flight is outside of a week after departure, might mean having to pay a fiver for the return leg, although hopefully this won't be an issue when mobile boarding passes are introduced.

The change to 30 days or 7 days is tomorrow, the 8th. So looks like their halving the check-in window, unless you pay to choose a seat. Nice one MOL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,935 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

That is a retrograde step from Ryanair

Yes, they are pushing a lot to sell the allocated seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Is there a sale/offer on? I cant read anything about it anywhere.

Only €5 unless you pick a premium seat although I suppose if you're going to have to pay €5 you might as well pay the extra 5 to get the legroom.

Also, just to note, I went to manage my booking (for my flight this coming Wednesday) to see which seats were left on the flight and I wasn't able to change to a paid seat even though I could see the layout and hover over the seats. Don't know if it's a bug on the website of what.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can't do the 'free' online check-in until seven days before now.

Their announcement makes it sound like it's an improvement, but it's not, unless you're paying.
    It's almost an art form.
    Changes to online Check-in - Ryanair

• Advertisement

Cool! Maybe they didn't implemented the 7 days restriction exactly from the midnight ... but they may do it in the next few hours/days. Anyway, you were lucky!

So, did you get the seats together, like in my theory? Is it still valid?

It seems that it still stands!

Noticed that earlier myself, it looks like you can since you can bring up the seating plan and see what's been taken etc. but when you click on a seat you get no response. Seems like a missed opportunity for Ryanair tbh.

grimm2005 wrote: »
    you can't go back in and pay for better seats even if you want to... Seems like a missed opportunity for Ryanair tbh.
    I think that this can be made on purpose and in fact it can increase earnings! Why? Because people that are afraid of "not being able to pay&choose the seats" will pay straight away. They will not "risk first with the allocated seating, and pay ONLY if they are not satisfied with their allocated seats". So, all the people that are willing to pay will pay, without gambling on the allocated seats lottery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just tried to check in (for a free seat) with them for a flight next Wednesday - went along grand until I hit this screen:
    picture.php?albumid=309&pictureid=15099
    so I'll have to give it a go tomorrow instead.

• Advertisement

I wish Ryanair wouldn't say "randomly allocated seat". They are NOT randomly allocated, rather they are allocated in a logical sequence.

random (adj.): made, done, or happening without method or conscious decision.

Advertisement