Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discover when a farm was purchased

• 15-11-2018 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Is it possible to find out when an Irish Farm was purchased by a tenent from the Landlord in the late 1800's or early 1900's?

The property is on Griffiths evaluation and details of the tenant and landlord are present,
    .Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You can use the records in the Valuation office to see when the rate payer changed hands, but the tenant might have been paying them anyway.

Only the Land Commission will have the definite records but they are notoriously difficult to get into. If it is your own family land, they might supply details.

Here are some details on them and also John Grenham's comments from a few years ago.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

pinkypinky wrote: »
    You can use the records in the Valuation office to see when the rate payer changed hands, but the tenant might have been paying them anyway.

Only the Land Commission will have the definite records but they are notoriously difficult to get into. If it is your own family land, they might supply details.

Here are some details on them and also John Grenham's comments from a few years ago.

That makes very interesting reading. I hope those records are in a protected environment and not in cardboard boxes in a warehouse!! Or better, I hope they are being digitised! :rolleyes: Oh what a treasure to have.

I suspect nothing at all is being done with them.
    I did hear of a phd student who got access a couple of years back but don't know how.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I hope those records are in a protected environment and not in cardboard boxes in a warehouse!!

It is a warehouse. (in Portlaoise), but other venues have been mentioned also, probably worse than warehouse standard.

Whether they are in boxes, few people can say.

It is thought that the reason for witholding these records, is because information in them could result in family disputes relating to who got the land.

Irish memories about land ownership are very long, certainly many generations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

tabbey wrote: »
    It is thought that the reason for witholding these records, is because information in them could result in family disputes relating to who got the land.

In other words people might learn the truth.

Much the same boat myself being adopted.

I wonder is there some other reason why they don't want the records released, like maybe there were certain irregular practices went on back in the day resulting in the wrong people getting the land?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I think it probably comes down to a lack of resources and no one interested enough to force the issue.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

You're probably right Pinky but I dare say there's a few skeletons waiting to be discovered in those records all the same.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement