Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEM in UK

• 27-09-2017 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experiences with GEM in the UK? I have an BSc in Biomedical Science, and some of their courses are structured to do the first 3 years as a BSc and final 3 years as the MD.

Does anyone know anything about me skipping the first three years due to my background, and just doing the final 3 years? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

You have to complete the full degree as the medical councils have minimum credit requirements which must be completed in the medical course. Credits for prior learning has been phased out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Recap

Hello,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experiences with GEM in the UK? I have an BSc in Biomedical Science, and some of their courses are structured to do the first 3 years as a BSc and final 3 years as the MD.

Does anyone know anything about me skipping the first three years due to my background, and just doing the final 3 years? :)
    The GEM is four years with certain five-year programs allowing graduates to apply. You will need to complete the full program.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

Ok thank you. It's a pity to have to redo so many modules. I'm looking at Italy currently and maybe they recognise exemptions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

It's doubtful as theyd likely be the same as here and if you ever planned to work in Ireland/UK/US/Canada any degree which doesn't meet the minimum credits requirement wouldn't be accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Recap

Ok thank you. It's a pity to have to redo so many modules. I'm looking at Italy currently and maybe they recognise exemptions?
    The EU centralises the process of recognition of medical degrees and as such you will need to meet the same requirements regardless of where you go on the continent. 
    You can read more here: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32005L0036&from=EN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

For those interested in UK entry, there's a new GEM course starting in Scotland in 2018. http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/graduate-entry-medicine/

There's no fees, but I think you have to commit to the NHS there for a few years. Definitely a good option for some people! :)

Advertisement