Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Colminating a reflector Telescope

Options
  • 03-10-2020 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im looking at getting a Celestron 130EQ reflector telescope as a beginner scooe.

Ive read these reflectors need colminating, is this a difficult thing to do or time consuming.

Also, do any of you have experience with the Celestron 130EQ reflector scope, if so , is it ok ?

I know realistically Im not going tobget Voyager probe like images but as lon as I xan maybe see a littke cloud detail on Jupiter or Saturn's rings Ill be happy.

Any answers to the above much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I have one, it's fine. An EQ mount will take a bit of getting use to - you can't just point it at something in the sky but it's a good learning experience. If you get the tracking motor included, I wouldn't bother with it. This scope is fine for visual astronomy and taking photos of the moon but it's not an astrophotography scope.

You can see Saturn's rings and some detail on Jupiter but you'll need a Barlow lens (~€25). Seeing and photographing are different though.

Once you get used to collimating it doesn't take long. Do it a few times during the day to practice and remember that small adjustments will have big effects.

The long standing advice for beginners is to start with binoculars or a Dobsonian. I have never used a Dobsonian but I'd definitely consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I have one of these. I also have a 250mm Dob.

130Eq Pros:
    * Easy to use.
    * Very decent scope for the money.
    * Decently portable.
    * EQ mount is very useful.

Cons:
    * Tripod is shyte. Flimsy to say the least.
    * Retaining rings aren't much better.
    * Finder (red dot) isn't as useful as you might think.
    * There is no centre marking on the Primary mirror, you need to add it to have any hope of proper collimation.
    * Focuser is plastic, and it's teeth wear down relatively quickly.

Despite that, I like having mine, and it's a good scope to learn on. That said, my Dob was twice the price, and 10 times better. YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

piss easy to colimate with a laser collimator,just rember the laser collimator mite need to be collimated aswell before use:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

piss easy to colimate with a laser collimator,just rember the laser collimator mite need to be collimated aswell before use:)

I have a Laser and a usual one. I check with both. When in doubt, trust the manual one.

Advertisement