Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: What do you believe happens when we die
We simply cease to exist (like before we were born) 511 79.47%
We go to heaven for eternal life 36 5.60%
We keep reincarnating 38 5.91%
We stay around the earth as ghosts 7 1.09%
Other 51 7.93%
Voters: 643. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
03-09-2020, 00:16   #1
sallyanne12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 233
What do you believe happens when we die

Complete the poll and let us know
sallyanne12 is offline  
Advertisement
03-09-2020, 00:44   #2
Pherekydes
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 14,897
I'd like to "complete" a Pole.
Pherekydes is online now  
03-09-2020, 01:17   #3
bobbyy gee
Banned
 
bobbyy gee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 1,284
Having died and been brought back there's nothing there. You don't know you died until you read medical report it's like you never existed.
You don't have any thoughts. You don't walk towards the light
You don't see dead family members. Seeing someone you know die is scary as they panic and your not able to do anything to help them. All you can do is hold their hand and tell them they are not alone.
bobbyy gee is offline  
03-09-2020, 04:09   #4
Hotblack Desiato
See you @ Milliway's -Socially distanced
 
Hotblack Desiato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 21,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyanne12 View Post
Complete the poll and let us know
Customary to provide your own opinion, OP
Hotblack Desiato is online now  
03-09-2020, 04:09   #5
Hotblack Desiato
See you @ Milliway's -Socially distanced
 
Hotblack Desiato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 21,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyy gee View Post
Having died and been brought back there's nothing there. You don't know you died until you read medical report it's like you never existed.
You don't have any thoughts. You don't walk towards the light
You don't see dead family members. Seeing someone you know die is scary as they panic and your not able to do anything to help them. All you can do is hold their hand and tell them they are not alone.
Hotblack Desiato is online now  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-09-2020, 04:31   #6
s1ippy
Registered User
 
s1ippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 2,457
I have an idea about mortality which I'm basically certain is correct. I have thought about building a sort of movement around it or writing a thesis on it, but I feel it would be an exercise in futility because the market for religion is over saturated and based on my experience of people, most of the ones who didn't understand it would just get angry. The idea isn't based around worship in the slightest, just a concept around life and death that I feel that I have sussed, because like everyone else I've thought about it for so long. Somebody was bound to figure it out.

I find the theory really revealing when applied to existence and our place in it. Believing this premise to be true doesn't advocate any specific way of life or subsequent beliefs. It's just a scientifically and philosophically grounded perspective on meaning and sentience. It gives me immense solace whenever I think about life within the parameters it indicates.

I've explained these thoughts to friends and family (it's easy in when you're casually conversing... "death is weird" or some such throwaway existential comment. "Do you think so? I think it's just...") and we've pulled the whole notion apart and picked at any dubious aspects.

Death is a fascinating thing to discuss if you're pragmatic and logical instead of sentimental or superstitious; I think anyone comes away from a spirited conversation about it feeling enriched and less threatened by their own fear. Its like the talking cure; you reason things out and they start to make more sense and become a more acceptable thing for your brain to process without trauma or prejudice.

Tl;dr something something jeebus zombie
s1ippy is offline  
03-09-2020, 07:59   #7
magicbastarder
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 31,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1ippy View Post
a concept around life and death that I feel that I have sussed, because like everyone else I've thought about it for so long.
i think we'd to take a bit more convincing than that!
magicbastarder is online now  
03-09-2020, 08:09   #8
Peregrinus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 19,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1ippy View Post
I have an idea about mortality which I'm basically certain is correct. . . .
There's not much point in telling us this unless you are going to go on and tell su what the idea is - you tease, you!
Peregrinus is offline  
03-09-2020, 08:15   #9
LessOutragePlz
Registered User
 
LessOutragePlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,034
How would we know that we alive if we had not once been dead?

We aren't born so we don't die.

Energy can't be destroyed so the energy inside must live on once our body dies.
LessOutragePlz is offline  
Advertisement
03-09-2020, 08:40   #10
magicbastarder
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 31,319
it can be changed from one form to another though.
and i don't think 'consciousness' has an 'energy' in strictly physical terms. it's basically just electrical and chemical energy.
magicbastarder is online now  
Thanks from:
03-09-2020, 08:46   #12
LessOutragePlz
Registered User
 
LessOutragePlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
it can be changed from one form to another though.
and i don't think 'consciousness' has an 'energy' in strictly physical terms. it's basically just electrical and chemical energy.
Yeah but consciousness can't be measured though so to say it's electrical and chemical energy isn't really true tbh as we don't truly know what it is.
LessOutragePlz is offline  
03-09-2020, 08:49   #13
magicbastarder
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 31,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by LessOutragePlz View Post
we don't truly know what it is.
how can you claim it can't be destroyed if you don't know what it is?
magicbastarder is online now  
03-09-2020, 09:17   #14
sallyanne12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 233
op here. Have to say I’m very surprised by the results. So many atheists. I guess it’s probably due to posting this in the atheist forum. Perhaps I should have posted it in after hours to get a wider view.
I used to believe in nothing for so long but then I realised it’s naive to think nothing exists after we die. There has to be more to life than just living and dying. I personally believe that life is a sort of test but I don’t believe in any religion. I believe we probably remain in a spiritual world after we die and what area of that world would depend on how good we are
sallyanne12 is offline  
03-09-2020, 09:34   #15
dubrov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1ippy View Post
I have an idea about mortality which I'm basically certain is correct. I have thought about building a sort of movement around it or writing a thesis on it, but I feel it would be an exercise in futility because the market for religion is over saturated and based on my experience of people, most of the ones who didn't understand it would just get angry. The idea isn't based around worship in the slightest, just a concept around life and death that I feel that I have sussed, because like everyone else I've thought about it for so long. Somebody was bound to figure it out.

I find the theory really revealing when applied to existence and our place in it. Believing this premise to be true doesn't advocate any specific way of life or subsequent beliefs. It's just a scientifically and philosophically grounded perspective on meaning and sentience. It gives me immense solace whenever I think about life within the parameters it indicates.

I've explained these thoughts to friends and family (it's easy in when you're casually conversing... "death is weird" or some such throwaway existential comment. "Do you think so? I think it's just...") and we've pulled the whole notion apart and picked at any dubious aspects.

Death is a fascinating thing to discuss if you're pragmatic and logical instead of sentimental or superstitious; I think anyone comes away from a spirited conversation about it feeling enriched and less threatened by their own fear. Its like the talking cure; you reason things out and they start to make more sense and become a more acceptable thing for your brain to process without trauma or prejudice.

Tl;dr something something jeebus zombie
I too discovered the same idea and thought I had solved it. However, there was one little item that made the whole idea fall apart. I think there is little point in sharing with you as it would be an exercise in futility and likely make you angry.
dubrov is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet