Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Who Will The Dems pick in 2020
Harris 51 6.09%
Bernie 205 24.46%
Clinton 27 3.22%
Brooker 8 0.95%
Biden 352 42.00%
Gillbrand 6 0.72%
Oprah! 41 4.89%
Warren 85 10.14%
Klobuchar 7 0.84%
Michelle Obama 44 5.25%
Cuomo 12 1.43%
Voters: 838. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed  

29-10-2020, 14:02   #8731
BonnieSituation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelga View Post
Anyone else just have no faith in the American people to do the right thing anymore?

Also I think many people will lie to pollsters, and intend to vote for Trump.
The economic numbers just released have given me pause for thought.
Advertisement
29-10-2020, 14:21   #8732
Manic Moran

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksee View Post
Amy Coney Barratt has recused herself from the Pennsylvania vote on the grounds that she has not had time to read up the arguments. The Supreme Court has declined to revisit as a fast-track the lower court's decision to allow 3 days after polling day to count votes. Is there hope, or should one be cynical?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...count-n1245175
As I understand it, Barrett's participation may be unlikely to make a difference anyway. The swing vote on this topic seems to be Roberts, and he's apparently making his decisions on the basis of whether or not it is appropriate for federal courts to get involved in this sort of state-level voting processes. There were two cases which got up there recently about mail-in-ballot deadlines, one was Pennsylvania, the other Wisconsin. He joined with the liberal wing in the Pennsylvania case (5-3) as he believed the federal court below was wrong as a matter of process to reverse the State court. He joined with the conservative wing in the Wisconsin case as that came up through the State court system.
https://apnews.com/article/election-...f2cf9887cfabff
(2) thanks from:
29-10-2020, 14:31   #8733
Quin_Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Moran View Post
As I understand it, Barrett's participation may be unlikely to make a difference anyway. The swing vote on this topic seems to be Roberts, and he's apparently making his decisions on the basis of whether or not it is appropriate for federal courts to get involved in this sort of state-level voting processes. There were two cases which got up there recently about mail-in-ballot deadlines, one was Pennsylvania, the other Wisconsin. He joined with the liberal wing in the Pennsylvania case (5-3) as he believed the federal court below was wrong as a matter of process to reverse the State court. He joined with the conservative wing in the Wisconsin case as that came up through the State court system.
https://apnews.com/article/election-...f2cf9887cfabff
Indeed - looking at the various decision thus far around voting , it seems they are clearly following a guideline that says if the decision was taken solely at the State level , they are getting involved , but if there was a federal involvement they are open to over-ruling it.
Thanks from:
29-10-2020, 15:14   #8734
spacecoyote

Broadly speaking it just seems nuts with these cases in the courts. For a country that claims to be the greatest ever democracy, a not insignificant portion of the country seem to think that not everyone's vote should count in said greatest democracy.

To be honest, its pretty embarrassing and pathetic really, and the fact that the supreme court of the land is happy to work around the constitution, to prevent or limit the count of votes, in a time of unprecedented circumstances, says everything that is wrong with the country and the system. There is no reason why they couldn't give a few days to ensure every vote is counted, by my understanding the president isn't officially declared until the states declare their EC votes, which is a couple of weeks after the election (could be wrong on my timings there)

I mean, even late night comedians appear to be doing more to help people to vote, each creating their own sites which give people guides on how to vote in their different states. I know that they lean pretty heavily anti-Trump, but that's beside the point, their message is...GET OUT AND VOTE across the board.
29-10-2020, 15:21   #8735
Water John

Could be corrected but I think States have until the 8th Dec to nominate their EC voters. See HC hopes to be one for New York.
Advertisement
29-10-2020, 16:38   #8736
Quin_Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water John View Post
Could be corrected but I think States have until the 8th Dec to nominate their EC voters. See HC hopes to be one for New York.
I think it's 41 days from the day of the Election so that sounds about right.

Clinton is an Electoral College voter and so will almost certainly be casting her vote for Biden in January when the official vote takes place.
Thanks from:
29-10-2020, 16:44   #8737
Manic Moran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin_Dub View Post
Indeed - looking at the various decision thus far around voting , it seems they are clearly following a guideline that says if the decision was taken solely at the State level , they are getting involved , but if there was a federal involvement they are open to over-ruling it.
I think you have it reversed. If it's a purely state-level issue, he would rather the federal courts leave the state rulings alone (Unless you missed a "not" in there). It's a position I wish more politicians and judges had.
29-10-2020, 16:53   #8738
Quin_Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin_Dub View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Moran View Post
I think you have it reversed. If it's a purely state-level issue, he would rather the federal courts leave the state rulings alone (Unless you missed a "not" in there). It's a position I wish more politicians and judges had.
Indeed - Typo on my part

"if the decision was taken solely at the State level , they are NOT getting involved"
29-10-2020, 18:44   #8739
eire4

Here is the bottom line IMHO when it comes to the US Supreme Court and voting. Says so much about who they are really.

According to the US Supreme Court an American has the right to bear arms and the government if it wants to try and take a gun away from you has to go to court to prove why. However voting not so much. If the government takes away someone's right to vote they can do so and then it is up to them to go to court to prove that the government is wrong.

So the bottom line is according to the US Supreme Court having a gun is a right but voting that is only a privilege not a right. As I said above it just says so much about who they are and the US as a country.
Advertisement
29-10-2020, 21:00   #8740
Outlaw Pete

Ah here, how can this nonsense be happening:

https://twitter.com/jakejakeny/statu...00543451799559
29-10-2020, 21:05   #8741
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw Pete View Post

One post by one 'freelance editorial columnist' which basically means unemployed hack.

Translation - it probably isn't happening.
29-10-2020, 21:11   #8742
Foxtrol

Quote:

Yes, the democrats really need to pull this kind of plot to win NY where Trump lost in 2016 by 22 points and according to polls Biden is up 30 points

More unsubstantiated rubbish which I'm sure Trump will be tweeting about soon (especially seeing as the guy making the claim is tweeting at basically every right wing grifter).
29-10-2020, 21:15   #8743
everlast75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrol View Post
Yes, the democrats really need to pull this kind of plot to win NY where Trump lost in 2016 by 22 points and according to polls Biden is up 30 points

More unsubstantiated rubbish which I'm sure Trump will be tweeting about soon (especially seeing as the guy making the claim is tweeting at basically every right wing grifter).
I would imagine if Trump is trailing on the night he will demand votes be counted into the middle of next year
29-10-2020, 21:30   #8744
MJohnston

Quote:
Honestly, if this actually was happening, I’d think it most likely to be a Trumpist plot to undermine the whole process. Far more likely to be (a) made up (b) an error
29-10-2020, 21:46   #8745
correct horse battery staple

I don't got it what's difference between b and c, and why multiple languages?
Thread Closed