Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Who Will The Dems pick in 2020
Harris 51 6.09%
Bernie 205 24.46%
Clinton 27 3.22%
Brooker 8 0.95%
Biden 352 42.00%
Gillbrand 6 0.72%
Oprah! 41 4.89%
Warren 85 10.14%
Klobuchar 7 0.84%
Michelle Obama 44 5.25%
Cuomo 12 1.43%
Voters: 838. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
21-09-2020, 09:58   #6481
Quin_Dub
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by correct horse battery staple View Post
There is nothing wrong with that imho

The problem is not that they get to vote for multiple positions all way from local to federal

The problem is that unlike Ireland they do not have proportional representation with a single transferable vote. This means you endup with a polarized two party outcomes at all levels, there is no room for political coalitions and compromises which make Irish system so resilient to the type of polarization we seen in UK and US (tho Sinn Fein are trying hard to drag us into the same political cesspool)
I get where you are coming from , but the fact that even the most basic "civil servant" job becomes a political role that is bargained over and that requires campaigning and funding etc. is just crazy.
Quin_Dub is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-09-2020, 13:02   #6482
TomOnBoard
Registered User
 
TomOnBoard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin_Dub View Post
Lagoa is on his short list and he said he would likely nominate a woman.

There's only her and Coney-Barrett on the list he released a few weeks back.

Of the 2 , Lagoa is the only one that could really help him in a swing state.

She's a Cuban American from Florida , Biden is already under pressure with that voting block so forcing him and the Democrats to argue against her nomination could swing Florida to Trump.

Trump cannot win without Florida - I know lots of people are talking up Coney-Barrett , but I'd tend to agree with Manic - Lagoa is the more politically beneficial nomination for Trump personally.
OK. I can see the benefit to Trump in Hispanic voting from picking Lagoa. I'm seeing Coney Barrett because she was in the frame the last time, when Kavanaugh was picked. He'll have a right battle with the religious right to pass over her now.
TomOnBoard is offline  
21-09-2020, 14:28   #6483
salmocab
Registered User
 
salmocab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by correct horse battery staple View Post
There is nothing wrong with that imho

The problem is not that they get to vote for multiple positions all way from local to federal
That is a problem though, voting for civil servants means that instead of getting a professional who’s built a career in a department you can get a chancer who just says the right thing to get the job. Having your job up for election also means that a lot of people will see it as a job without security and that will reduce the number of qualified people interested. Now the other side of the coin doesn’t mean the person getting the job would be the best person but it certainly increases the chances.
I said on one of the other threads recently that if you were setting up a country and someone suggested the American model you’d throw them out of the meeting.
salmocab is offline  
21-09-2020, 14:57   #6484
Manic Moran
Moderator
 
Manic Moran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,291
It would certainly need tweaking.

That said, it's not an entire free-for-all. Basic standards have now been generally instituted, such as "If you're going to be a sheriff, you must be a cop" (Which wasn't always the case), but even today there are still some minor level courts (misdemeanors, etc) in rural states where the judge doesn't need to be a lawyer.

In any case, normally for even boring civil service type positions like "water commissioner" or "county school supervisor", the backgrounds of the folks running tend to be on topic.
Manic Moran is offline  
21-09-2020, 15:49   #6485
correct horse battery staple
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmocab View Post
That is a problem though, voting for civil servants means that instead of getting a professional who’s built a career in a department you can get a chancer who just says the right thing to get the job. Having your job up for election also means that a lot of people will see it as a job without security and that will reduce the number of qualified people interested. Now the other side of the coin doesn’t mean the person getting the job would be the best person but it certainly increases the chances.
I said on one of the other threads recently that if you were setting up a country and someone suggested the American model you’d throw them out of the meeting.
What's that saying, the electorate get the representatives they deserve.
Points at Trump

But yeh i suppose there has to be a balance where politics gets too "local", one could draw the line at mayor being lowest electable office.

But like i pointed out the election format is also a big factor, first past the post does create 2 party outcomes with extreme polarisation.
correct horse battery staple is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-09-2020, 16:11   #6486
Rjd2
Registered User
 
Rjd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Moran View Post
I'll put my fiver on Lagoa. Nominated before the election, hearings before the election, but not voted on until afterwards.

Just how much do the Democrats want to be seen on TV just before the election to be preventing a Hispanic female from a swing state from being appointed to SCOTUS, especially since she is well regarded and when they voted on her appointment to the 11th Circuit 80-15 in favor?
Isn't the story he met Barrett a year or so ago and was deeply unimpressed?

She'd be their to keep the social conservatives happy because she'd be more trusted to bin Roe v Wade unlike Lagao who may be considered more squishy.

However yeah the electoral logic of her along with De Santiis approval does make her the more sensible choice from that POV.

Unsure she'd get the numbers, but the GOP want the spectacle of the Dems arguing against her on the board.
Rjd2 is offline  
21-09-2020, 16:48   #6487
everlast75
Registered User
 
everlast75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12,668
He is contemplating who will replace RBG, but in the meantime has enough time to call her grand daughter a liar and allege his political opponents made it all up.

https://twitter.com/therecount/statu...283267589?s=19

What a thoroughly disgusting, revolting human being.
everlast75 is offline  
21-09-2020, 16:56   #6488
salmocab
Registered User
 
salmocab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by correct horse battery staple View Post
What's that saying, the electorate get the representatives they deserve.
Points at Trump

But yeh i suppose there has to be a balance where politics gets too "local", one could draw the line at mayor being lowest electable office.

But like i pointed out the election format is also a big factor, first past the post does create 2 party outcomes with extreme polarisation.
The format is not good agreed but voting for offices that in other countries would be filled generally by the best candidate is a recipe for getting sub par people into the system. Your sheriff shouldn’t get the job because he campaigned the best he should get it because he’s the best person for the job. No system is perfect for this sort of thing but jobs like these should be merit based.
salmocab is offline  
21-09-2020, 17:41   #6489
dinorebel
Registered User
 
dinorebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast75 View Post
He is contemplating who will replace RBG, but in the meantime has enough time to call her grand daughter a liar and allege his political opponents made it all up.

https://twitter.com/therecount/statu...283267589?s=19

What a thoroughly disgusting, revolting human being.
Projection again it's what he'd do.
dinorebel is offline  
Advertisement
21-09-2020, 18:19   #6490
Itssoeasy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 31,057
So I see that Donald trump thinks that anti racist teaching is “child abuse.” So let that sink in even though it’s hardly a shock at this point that the president of the United States thinks that teaching kids how not be believe you are superior to someone based on skin colour is child abuse ? And I see that he’s using the Khan family strategy with regards to the late justice Ginsberg's granddaughter. I know Joe Biden isn’t ideal but Nixon looks better than Donald trump does.
Itssoeasy is offline  
21-09-2020, 18:25   #6491
Carfacemandog
Registered User
 
Carfacemandog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brussels Sprout View Post
If the Republicans go ahead and stick an arch-conservative on there then the last thing the Democrats should do is go along with that. That is the mistake that they have made over and over again since 2009 - giving in to the Republicans in the hope that they'll be rewarded in the future either by the Republicans reciprocating or the voters acknowledging it. Instead the Republicans have ruthlessly taken advantage of that stance and there has been no thanks from the voters.

This isn't "The West Wing". There's no appealing to the better nature of a party who elected Donald Trump as their standard bearer and have Mitch McConnell as their Senate majority leader. The Democrats need to fight, not roll over for fear of losing Florida. They'd probably end up losing it anyway.

As others have pointed out it doesn't look like they have any power to stop this but they need to be seen to fight it - both to fire up their own base and spread awareness amongst low information voters about the double standards. The Kavanaugh hearings happened 2 months before the mid-term elections and by all account they galvanised a lot of Democrats into turning out in numbers not typically seen for those types of elections and decimating the Republicans in House suburban districts.
If Manic Moran voted republican in 2016, then this clusterf*ck is exactly what they deserve after rewarding the utter nonsense that McConnell and Paul Ryan got up to in the years before, which stretches far and beyond the Merrick Garland fiasco.

If they want to decry the end of decorum or properly functional government and look for someone to blame, they need look only at themselves.
Carfacemandog is online now  
21-09-2020, 18:32   #6492
Manic Moran
Moderator
 
Manic Moran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmocab View Post
The format is not good agreed but voting for offices that in other countries would be filled generally by the best candidate is a recipe for getting sub par people into the system. Your sheriff shouldn’t get the job because he campaigned the best he should get it because he’s the best person for the job. No system is perfect for this sort of thing but jobs like these should be merit based.
Hmm. If you're going to assume that the police should operate with the consent of the people, is not the best way of ensuring this to ensure the chap in charge is elected by the people? Plus, it's sometimes nice to get folks from outside the organization in. It may be weird to have a Sheriff who has no powers of arrest because he has not gone to the Academy, but realistically, it's also an administrative/policy position.

Such is the case for the election of Sheriff of my county this year. The incumbent, who runs a department of 1,900 personnel with a $135mn budget, is going up against someone who used to be the County Clerk (Difficult to explain the role, but think "chief administrator") for 25 years, but who has absolutely no law enforcement experience at all. Just how much of his daily work is really related to enforcing laws, vs managing a large organization and dealing with politics and politicians?

The Sheriff's administration has been beset by deaths in jail (8 so far this year) and a number of deputies fired for alleged malfeasance without process (6 so far this year). His opponent is talking about installing civilian review boards, body cameras and mental health. I think the Sheriff's going to win, but it's going to be very close.

This is a more blue than red town, the current Sheriff is a Democrat. His opponent is a Republican. (which is my real problem with the election process here in Texas. It's not that judges and sheriffs are elected, but unlike California, they are elected by party after a primary, just like any other elected position). If it were a mere appointment by the county leadership, there may well be less change if at the large scale the sheriff follows principles of the county leadership even if that leadership were elected for policies entirely unrelated to the Sheriff's department.

Quote:
If Manic Moran voted republican in 2016,
That's a bit of an 'if' isn't it? Why call me out specifically?
Manic Moran is offline  
21-09-2020, 18:35   #6493
eire4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carfacemandog View Post
If Manic Moran voted republican in 2016, then this clusterf*ck is exactly what they deserve after rewarding the utter nonsense that McConnell and Paul Ryan got up to in the years before, which stretches far and beyond the Merrick Garland fiasco.

If they want to decry the end of decorum or properly functional government and look for someone to blame, they need look only at themselves.
I could not agree more. People who think it will all be ok if they just get rid of the president are either been disingenuous or wilfully ignorant. The Republican party has been lurching towards being a far right authoritarian party for a long time now long before the current president. The president is vulgar, crass etc in how he speaks and conducts himself but the Republicans have been and it seems will continue to be interested only in maintaining power by any means no matter how undemocratic so they can continue to operate in the interests of the very wealthiest long after this president is gone.
eire4 is offline  
21-09-2020, 18:37   #6494
mcmoustache
Registered User
 
mcmoustache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carfacemandog View Post
If Manic Moran voted republican in 2016...
He mentioned multiple times who he voted for and it wasn't Trump.
mcmoustache is offline  
Thanks from:
21-09-2020, 19:01   #6495
salmocab
Registered User
 
salmocab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Moran View Post
Hmm. If you're going to assume that the police should operate with the consent of the people, is not the best way of ensuring this to ensure the chap in charge is elected by the people? Plus, it's sometimes nice to get folks from outside the organization in. It may be weird to have a Sheriff who has no powers of arrest because he has not gone to the Academy, but realistically, it's also an administrative/policy position.
No I don’t agree that voting for him ensures the consent of the people, having a competent professional force ensures that, having elected people ensures that you get someone with an agenda and also puts people who might actually be the right person for the job out of the race if they don’t want to campaign for a promotion. It also creates a bizarre circumstance where someone could effectively be running against their current boss for the current bosses job which again surely discourages people from applying/campaigning. Certainly getting people from outside is a good thing but there are plenty of jurisdictions or school districts etc to get outside competent people from through a normal process.
salmocab is offline  
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search