Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Who Will The Dems pick in 2020
Harris 51 6.09%
Bernie 205 24.46%
Clinton 27 3.22%
Brooker 8 0.95%
Biden 352 42.00%
Gillbrand 6 0.72%
Oprah! 41 4.89%
Warren 85 10.14%
Klobuchar 7 0.84%
Michelle Obama 44 5.25%
Cuomo 12 1.43%
Voters: 838. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed  

17-07-2020, 16:27   #4951
Water John

In Ireland prisoners have a right to vote. The judge in a court sends you to prison for an offence, that's your punishment, nobody else can arbitrarily decide add ons.
Every adult citizen has a right to vote.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-07-2020, 16:57   #4952
eagle eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water John
In Ireland prisoners have a right to vote. The judge in a court sends you to prison for an offence, that's your punishment, nobody else can arbitrarily decide add ons. Every adult citizen has a right to vote.
Yes but prisoners and ex-prisoners don't normally vote.
17-07-2020, 16:59   #4953
pixelburp

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle eye View Post
Yes but prisoners and ex-prisoners don't normally vote.
Ah look you're going to have to put forward some stats on that - be it from America or Ireland. And in the former, considering the issue here is the precise disenfranchisement of ex-cons, then this is circular logic being indulged, the case being that they don't vote because in some states they can't, or are prevented via noted, demonstrated methods.
17-07-2020, 17:13   #4954
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!

Post deleted. Eagle eye permabanned. Please do not respond to their posts.
17-07-2020, 17:14   #4955
duploelabs

What with this repeated ask for people to prove your assertions wrong? It's not the first time you've done it.
Make an assertion, and then back it up. It's not that hard
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-07-2020, 17:14   #4956
Overheal
Covfefe Connoisseur

Send a message via ICQ to Overheal Send a message via Skype™ to Overheal
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelburp View Post
Ah look you're going to have to put forward some stats on that - be it from America or Ireland. And in the former, considering the issue here is the precise disenfranchisement of ex-cons, then this is circular logic being indulged, the case being that they don't vote because in some states they can't, or are prevented via noted, demonstrated methods.
As you said, though, it is well understood many ex felons can't vote by statute, so the statement is correct. In 2016 over 6 million ex felons were disenfranchised

https://www.sentencingproject.org/pu...ment-a-primer/

I've attached a 2009 JSTOR paper which analyzed ex felon voter turnout. It found it to be as low as 5 percent. They looked at hundreds of eligible felons in Erie County NY and compared it against the board of elections data. Only 1 county though, so not much good on the national level, it would be much better to see a full set of data.

Hard to tell if this is a cultural thing, ie. if ex felons just assume they don't have the right and don't bother to ask; its certainly not advertised to them, and many corners would rather they feel that way. There's also a potential case of, as the type of antisocials who commit felonies, etc. that they already don't mesh with society anyway, and don't enfranchise themselves regardless. However I don't think this diminishes the need to recognize their right to vote, and it certainly is suppression by the GOP.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Felony-Disenfranchisement-Primer.pdf (2.56 MB, 1 views)

Last edited by Overheal; 17-07-2020 at 17:19.
Thanks from:
18-07-2020, 01:30   #4957
Itssoeasy

I think it's fair to say that joe Biden isnt the ideal democratic candidate but I've just watched Biden speak on the view with Meghan McCain from four years ago and then at John McCains funeral and it's clear that joe Biden with all his faults has the ability for genuine compassion and empathy towards other people. His eulogy of John McCain is a special speech and one the current president could not deliver with any degree of sincerity.
18-07-2020, 01:39   #4958
Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itssoeasy View Post
I think it's fair to say that joe Biden isnt the ideal democratic candidate but I've just watched Biden speak on the view with Meghan McCain from four years ago and then at John McCains funeral and it's clear that joe Biden with all his faults has the ability for genuine compassion and empathy towards other people. His eulogy of John McCain is a special speech and one the current president could not deliver with any degree of sincerity.
True to some extent. John McCain and Joe Biden are largely similar in their views and politics. So of course they can empathise with each other. They are conventional Republican and Democrat politicians, shadowboxing for the sake of public consumption but really agreed on the broad trends of the future of the USA. Trump was supposed to be a revolutionary change to the trajectory of conventional American politics. His failure, and the root cause of his historic defeat in November is that he objectively governed no differently to a Biden or McCain presidency.
18-07-2020, 08:44   #4959
Brian?

Send a message via MSN to Brian?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle eye View Post
Well of we are crying about ex-felons rights we've reached a new low I think. It's hardly that important is it?
If you acknowledge they are rights, they shouldn’t be paid for. Whether someone was ever convicted of a crime is irrelevant.
Advertisement
18-07-2020, 08:50   #4960
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand View Post
True to some extent. John McCain and Joe Biden are largely similar in their views and politics. So of course they can empathise with each other. They are conventional Republican and Democrat politicians, shadowboxing for the sake of public consumption but really agreed on the broad trends of the future of the USA. Trump was supposed to be a revolutionary change to the trajectory of conventional American politics. His failure, and the root cause of his historic defeat in November is that he objectively governed no differently to a Biden or McCain presidency.
I would agree with all but your last point. I don't think Biden or McCain would have taken the US on the isolationist path that Trump chose when he took it out of various international agreements thus undermining the US' status as the defender of freedom and international norms to say nothing of the disastrous handling of the coronavirus pandemic.
18-07-2020, 11:11   #4961
Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancapailldorcha View Post
I would agree with all but your last point. I don't think Biden or McCain would have taken the US on the isolationist path that Trump chose when he took it out of various international agreements thus undermining the US' status as the defender of freedom and international norms to say nothing of the disastrous handling of the coronavirus pandemic.
I agree, they wouldn't have but that's not the reason Trump's base has abandoned him. US voters do not care about the US being 'the defender of freedom and international norms'. If anything, Trump was elected on the understanding that he would upset the norms. He hasn't.
18-07-2020, 11:22   #4962
duploelabs

Quote:
I agree, they wouldn't have but that's not the reason Trump's base has abandoned him. US voters do not care about the US being 'the defender of freedom and international norms'. If anything, Trump was elected on the understanding that he would upset the norms. He hasn't.
Oh he has upset the norms, but just not in the way they're hoping to
18-07-2020, 11:33   #4963
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!

Quote:
Has Trump's base actually abandoned him though? As far as I can tell, it's liberal Republicans who'd be pro-free market and other centrists who'd be the demographic or demographics to desert him along with anyone appalled at how the US has handled the coronavirus pandemic.

I would have thought his base would be happy enough. He's appointed two conservative supreme court justices, continued to push the culture war and moved the embassy in Israel.

Last edited by ancapailldorcha; 18-07-2020 at 11:37.
Thanks from:
18-07-2020, 12:01   #4964
Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancapailldorcha View Post
Has Trump's base actually abandoned him though? As far as I can tell, it's liberal Republicans who'd be pro-free market and other centrists who'd be the demographic or demographics to desert him along with anyone appalled at how the US has handled the coronavirus pandemic.
Nobody can pretend the pandemic is a serious concern anymore. Not after one month of mass gatherings and rioting in US cities, which was endorsed by the good and the great despite the pandemic. That narrative is over.

Trump's base has abandoned him. He has done nothing for them. Sure, some people who care about moving the US embassy to Jerusalem or are so brainwashed they think Biden is a communist will still vote for him, but he is going to suffer a historic defeat in November.

Quote:
I would have thought his base would be happy enough. He's appointed two conservative supreme court justices, continued to push the culture war and moved the embassy in Israel.
What is a conservative these days? Just in June the Supreme Court ruled to expand LGBTQ rights. Neil Gorsuch, one of Trumps supposedly rock solid 'conservative' picks ruled in favour of it.

Trump has even failed to deliver for the evangelical Christian supporters which should have been the easiest group to shore up.
18-07-2020, 12:08   #4965
nthclare

Quote:
Nobody can pretend the pandemic is a serious concern anymore. Not after one month of mass gatherings and rioting in US cities, which was endorsed by the good and the great despite the pandemic. That narrative is over.

Trump's base has abandoned him. He has done nothing for them. Sure, some people who care about moving the US embassy to Jerusalem or are so brainwashed they think Biden is a communist will still vote for him, but he is going to suffer a historic defeat in November.

What is a conservative these days? Just in June the Supreme Court ruled to expand LGBTQ rights. Neil Gorsuch, one of Trumps supposedly rock solid 'conservative' picks ruled in favour of it.

Trump has even failed to deliver for the evangelical Christian supporters which should have been the easiest group to shore up.
No matter whether Trump is still in politics by the next election the republicans will be in power after the next election.

People have seen through the violent protests by the left so the majority of Americans will vote republican.

Most people don't turn up to Trump rallys not because of Trump or lack of support for the republican party, but because most people don't go to political rally's.

They'll vote republican, wait and see

I said this a few years ago here and I was ran out of the page by Hillary supporters I got some sh1t I'll tell you.

But wait now and the republicans will be in power after the next election
Thread Closed