Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best free software for browsing a ubtuntu hard disk in windows

• 01-09-2020 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭

I have several hard drives with various forms of ubuntu on them. I am connecting to a windows 10 laptop as external drives in a caddy but cannot see them. I want to be able to save files from them, not put anything on.

Is this software below any use or are there better recommendations, I want a free one.

https://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/mount-linux-drive-on-windows/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭human 19

Not sure exactly what you are trying but what about firing up a live linux OS and using that?

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Windows 10 now includes a Linux kernel in the optional Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL 2). With this installed you should be able to mount the hard drives and browse them directly via windows explorer. While I have played with WSL 2 I haven't tried this feature but it is documented by Microsoft.

Just throwing it out there, the LINUX magazines with free DVDs just might be out on sale soon in Easons when they receive shipment. There's sure to be one Live CD on them. Try it out like I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Windows 10 now includes a Linux kernel in the optional Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL 2). With this installed you should be able to mount the hard drives and browse them directly via windows explorer. While I have played with WSL 2 I haven't tried this feature but it is documented by Microsoft.

Ah!
    I was not aware MS had changed WSL to include a Linux kernel in WSL 2.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement