Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Turning very warm or hot with thunderstorm potential Sun eve 23rd---->

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I thought that after you said August 2010 was reasonable. Felt like I was the only one who ever thought that :D .

I think so too! I have a memory of temps around 24C on 15 August that year at the Tullow Agri Show. I may need to look through the records to confirm :)

P.s. What was also remarkable about that August was late that month tree leaf colour started to change colour and was a month, or more, ahead of normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I think so too! I have a memory of temps around 24C on 15 August that year at the Tullow Agri Show. I may need to look through the records to confirm :)

P.s. What was also remarkable about that August was late that month tree leaf colour started to change colour and was a month, or more, ahead of normal.

August continued the 2010 very sunny streak with it being the sunniest August for many since 1995 but it was on the relatively cool side especially towards the end with grass frost. Maximum temperatures weren't high at all and typically around the high teens but the frequent spells of sunshine after a dull first week made it feel great to me.

I remember on the 14th that Dublin had a full day of blue skies whilst much of the country was under thick cloud but all places had that beautiful day on the 15th which you speak of. Wasn't quite 24c if I remember correctly but more around 21 or 22c (EDIT: I must be thinking of synoptic station obs).

It was a very dry month too though not as dry as August 2003.

August 2016 was a nice August with plentiful warmth here but it lacked the sunshine generally - compared to 2010 which lacked the warmth but had plentiful sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

sryanbruen wrote: »
    August continued the 2010 very sunny streak with it being the sunniest August for many since 1995 but it was on the relatively cool side especially towards the end with grass frost. Maximum temperatures weren't high at all and typically around the high teens but the frequent spells of sunshine after a dull first week made it feel great to me.

I remember on the 14th that Dublin had a full day of blue skies whilst much of the country was under thick cloud but all places had that beautiful day on the 15th which you speak of. Wasn't quite 24c if I remember correctly but more around 21 or 22c.

It was a very dry month too though not as dry as August 2003.

August 2016 was a nice August with plentiful warmth here but it lacked the sunshine generally - compared to 2010 which lacked the warmth but had plentiful sunshine.

Just got this from the Met Eireann archive.. I don't mean to be contrary!!

'Sunday 15th: Generally dry overnight, apart from some light showers in
    western parts. The day was mainly dry with long spells of sunshine in all
    areas. Becoming cloudy in the extreme west towards the end of the day,
    with clear spells elsewhere. Warm southerly winds, becoming light by the
    end of the day.
    Rainfall: nil generally, <1mm in the northwest
    Temperature: max. 18°C to 24°C, min. 6°C to 13°C
    Sunshine: 11 to 14 hours, sunniest at Knock Airport, 11 hours at Casement
    Aerodrome'

I had a feeling hearing it hit 24C on that night's weather report on rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

2aan72v.png

Unprecedented charts and quiet plausible with the position of the Jet and The Omega block but it wouldn’t take much to shift all this East. Still all to play for but amazing model watching ahead.

That chart was last Saturday's run, valid for yesterday. Actual readings from soundings turned out to be 3-5 degrees cooler.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

That chart was last Saturday's run, valid for yesterday. Actual readings from soundings turned out to be 3-5 degrees cooler.

Unprecedented for a reason and also pure Fantasy as it never came to pass.
    Even though they didn’t reach those heights, still very warm uppers that for different reasons we weren’t able to benefit from.
    Definitely a week of lessons learned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Any chance of action in the West this evening from that front coming into the radar

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Given the appalling spring/summer up to this I guess we should be thankful for merely getting the chance to be hopeful for this week.

Happy enough overall. Bit disappointed with this morning's storms from a purely selfish local pov.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Turning into a beautiful day here in the leinster champions in waiting Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Smashing day again today with real heat in the sun,didn't see or hear any thunderstorms this week but very happy with this spell,think last year spoilt us so we can't be expecting that type of weather every year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

If those two images are near enough in timeline and as they look to be then you have me stumped.

There's a slight darkening coming off that clear cold front along the west, down at the south of ireland and just reaching wexford and up over half the country.
    Can you have a mini cold front branching off a cold front with warm air in between?

Yep, I see that slight darkening now (I'm as blind as a bat) but it still doesn't make sense when surface temps and dps at the time are taken into consideration, which effectively stayed the same after passage of the front, which visually, was totally undetectable!

For what it is worth, the UK Met analysis for midnight had the front not quite as far east as they had forecast in the previous map for the same time in that chart I posted last night:

kaNtXsF.gif

but little overall difference.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

That dark line is an upper feature (dry intrusion) and is not related to the surface front. The Airmass RGB is a better indicator of airmass differences.

Ah, that makes sense, though the surface obs still have me flummoxed, and observationally, there didn't seem to be any change in the air mass at all post front. No change in cloud structure either (waving low based altostratus all day & evening) + the heat & humidity last night had me stressin', which is one of the reasons of my pedantic ire on this most pressing of issues. :D

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

33°c at Heathrow I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Its warmer here in Arklow today than any day during the 'spell'

Do ya hear that cold front!
    That's the peculiar East Wicklow climate for you

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Beautiful big convective stuff starting to build northwest of Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

Was 25c in Rosses Pt earlier n swam in sea 3 times until I saw 2 jellyfish and swam ashore in record time

Sunshine was very strong

Im definitely burnt even with the sunblock

"Down" to 22c now n cloudy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Some heat and sunshine out there this evening after the thunder and rain this morning. SPF for the kids this pm. Meath. Is it really forecast to be that miserable tomorrow for an outdoor gig. Boo hoo. I thought at the top of the week the forecast was in reverse for Saturday and Sunday. I was obviously reading what I wanted it to be. Oops.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Ah, that makes sense, though the surface obs still have me flummoxed, and observationally, there didn't seem to be any change in the air mass at all post front. No change in cloud structure either (waving low based altostratus all day & evening) + the heat & humidity last night had me stressin', which is one of the reasons of my pedantic ire on this most pressing of issues. :D

It was a subtle front alright but there is a slight veering of winds and reduction in dewpoints notable from the detailed hourly reports from e.g. Mullingar and later Casement, to name just two stations. The real difference is visible from the theta-e and Q-vector-divergence charts, which are much more useful when pinpointing fronts.

2019062900_5.gif

2019062900_11.gif

Today's maxima

22.7 - Gurteen, Mullingar
    22.6 - Ballyhaise
    22.1 - Oak Park
    22.0 - Shannon
    17.1 - Malin Head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

The sky here in North county Dublin looks like it's bubbling up again.

Meanwhile a TS is on the go in Monaghan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

We had some rain and a little thunder this morning here in Dublin 11. There was 0.2mm of rain recorded at about 7am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Serious convection gone up now northeast of here, wide picture doesnt half do it justice.
    IMG-20190629-194815.jpg

Look at how quickly it built up.
    https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

JCX BXC wrote: »
    33°c at Heathrow I see.

Seems to be the only hot day Britain got out of this heat wave. UK and Ireland really got away with it when you consider the temperatures on the continent. Paris was 14 degrees hotter than London on many of the days. Admittedly Paris would always be warmer than London but that was a huge contrast over the past week or two. I was in New York in recent days, so hot over there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Temperatures across Spain and France lowering from tomorrow to more normal levels by Monday.

The heat looks like it's going to build again and get very intense over Spain from next Thursday to the following Monday, perhaps a 4 day heatwave, but this time it won't extend as far north into France.

I'll be in Murcia from Wednesday till next Sunday so i'll probably get to experience some fairly high temperatures.

Advertisement