Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

mfceiling wrote: »
    Wife's mother went. Delighted to hear the mass. She said it wasn't particularly busy at all.
    I wonder how long it will take for it to "die out"?
    Mass numbers must be dwindling and there's very few young people bothering with faith anymore.
    20 years, 30 years?

It's worth pointing out though that the same dwindling in numbers isn't a worldwide phenomenon. Central and South America would still be staunchly Catholic for instance.

My fascination lies with the finances of it all.
    Fast forward to a time when the church is practically unattended in Ireland. With the financial might of the church, what do they do? How are their lobbyists put to work then?

I've no clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Wife's mother went. Delighted to hear the mass. She said it wasn't particularly busy at all.
    Mass numbers must be dwindling and there's very few young people bothering with faith anymore.
    20 years, 30 years?

The priests will die out before the congregation. Not that the congregations aren't dwindling but the number of priests under the age of 65 must be a small percentage at this point. In 10-15 years, I would imagine the 2-3 priests that are in my area will all have either passed on or be unable to work.

I know I'm probably in something of a minority but I genuinely pity some of the priests who remain (on the assumption of innocence). There was an interview of the radio with a priest from rural Mayo last week. He's in his sixties and his work schedule is ridiculous. At a time when most of us would be winding down or retired, he's on call and working 70-80 hours a week, covering an insane geographical area including islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer wrote: »
    The priests will die out before the congregation. Not that the congregations aren't dwindling but the number of priests under the age of 65 must be a small percentage at this point. In 10-15 years, I would imagine the 2-3 priests that are in my area will all have either passed on or be unable to work.

I know I'm probably in something of a minority but I genuinely pity some of the priests who remain (on the assumption of innocence). There was an interview of the radio with a priest from rural Mayo last week. He's in his sixties and his work schedule is ridiculous. At a time when most of us would be winding down or retired, he's on call and working 70-80 hours a week, covering an insane geographical area including islands.

I think I read recently that an association of priests in Ireland were polled and the lack of young priests was their biggest concern, followed closely by the handling of clerical abuse. Says it all really.

It's an existential crisis. No doubt there'll be many buildings and many, many acres of land sitting idle when the church can no longer operate them.

20 years, 30 years?

Hard to know and that's presuming it will ultimately die out, if we went through any spate of societal upheaval for any reason it would swing back again in popularity.

Ultimately though I think while questions relating to faith, theology and life after death will continue to be asked, without families carrying through the Catholic tradition those questions will ultimately be answered elsewhere.

I do think it's going to take a long time for the traditional elements to die out, we'll be 'Catholic in tradition only' quite soon but how long before non church weddings outnumber church weddings? How long before not getting children baptised becomes the norm?

kuang1 wrote: »
    It's worth pointing out though that the same dwindling in numbers isn't a worldwide phenomenon. Central and South America would still be staunchly Catholic for instance.

My fascination lies with the finances of it all.
    Fast forward to a time when the church is practically unattended in Ireland. With the financial might of the church, what do they do? How are their lobbyists put to work then?

I've no clue.

That was a point made on the radio this morning. In relation to the church putting in place new procedures for reporting and dealing with abuse, Ireland is a blip on the radar. The RCC still has a massive worldwide following who are happy to follow their teachings and the church still has a firm grip in these nations. Mexico, Brazil and the Philippines have well over a quarter of a billion Catholics between them.

The Vatican isn't going to rock the boat and make significant changes to deal with their issues in the western world when they're making hay in the developing world. There's a rake of African nations that have more Catholics than Ireland. We're just an irritant to the Vatican at this point, I would imagine.

The Vatican won't care too much if they lose Ireland. They'll continue to hold their financial interests here if and when they lose their congregation entirely. They'll still hold plenty of power and financial clout worldwide which is the bigger picture for them.

• Advertisement

I'd be even more sympathetic given that his employment contract demands life long celibacy and denies him the right to both work and have a family. Some reward for a lifetime of commitment to a faith ay!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I’ll believe when people stop putting « catholic » the moment they are sick and hospitalised. Cancer tends to suddenly make people religious again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That’s exactly how I felt the other day when he was in the Capucin Centre. They do so much fantastic work, real Christian values. It must be incredibly difficult for them being associated to this. Undoubtedly there are a lot of good people involved with the church and they must feel betrayed by all of these scandals.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I’ll believe when people stop putting « catholic » the moment they are sick and hospitalised. Cancer tends to suddenly make people religious again.

People put themselves down on the census as Catholic all the time. Completely standard stuff really, it’s got a bizarre meaning here.

People put themselves down on the census as Catholic all the time. Completely standard stuff really, it’s got a bizarre meaning here.

That's what I mean. People go rah rah rah Catholicism, but I'm betting between Buer, Venjur and mfceiling there will be (at least nominally) Catholic ticked for

1) Schooling of their kids
    2) Any hospitalisation
    3) Baptisms & confirmation

I sort of thing being Catholic in Ireland is more about identifying as being Irish rather than an actual religious choice...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

In our local parish Mass attendance is still high but because of the changing demographic there are fewer 20 somethings attending.
    Following college people move for employment. They are not many jobs in this locality. We lost a teacher last year because of the decline in numbers in the school.
    If Catholic Ireland is in decline so is rural Ireland.
    I blame you City heathens corrupting our God fearing youngsters. 😁

That's what I mean. People go rah rah rah Catholicism, but I'm betting between Buer, Venjur and mfceiling there will be (at least nominally) Catholic ticked for

2) Any hospitalisation

I sort of thing being Catholic in Ireland is more about identifying as being Irish rather than an actual religious choice...?

I'm still quite close with a lot of people from my year in school (which was a catholic school despite my parents making good life choices and raising me as a decent protestant man). Out of 100-odd I'd say a large majority would identify themselves as catholic on that form but only a handful (less than 10) would attend mass with any regularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think for many the two are indivisible. You are brought up Irish and Catholic, most people never question what either means to them.

• Administrators Posts: 53,343 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm still quite close with a lot of people from my year in school (which was a catholic school despite my parents making good life choices and raising me as a decent protestant man). Out of 100-odd I'd say a large majority would identify themselves as catholic on that form but only a handful (less than 10) would attend mass with any regularity.
    Always knew you had protestant tendencies, do you keep your toaster in the cupboard?

awec wrote: »
    Always knew you had protestant tendencies, do you keep your toaster in the cupboard?

You have asked me this before!

I am from a mixed marriage and inherited my toaster storage habits from the other side of the family.

2) Any hospitalisation

100%. For the record, I'm not having a pop at religious people. A number of family members are quite religious and my parents were deeply religious. My wife is practicing although far from staunch and thereby my children will definitely have that influence in their lives but there's absolutely an a la carte element to it.

I've said before that Catholicism is largely more of a cultural thing in Ireland than an actual practiced thing. We do communions and confirmations (which are a brutal waste of time and money) because it's a day out for the family and seen as a landmark. Very few are bothered about the religious aspect. It's almost an automatic reaction for people to tick that they're Catholic because that's how they were raised.

I think we'll see a change in the next 20 years and it's already taking shape but the influence of the church in this state is incredibly deep rooted beyond what I even realise, I reckon, in relation to the formation of the state and just how much influence and power they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Eir are useless.

Installation of broadband cancelled today. Of course I had to call them to find that out. They tell me their systems were down. That's great lads. It's still no ****ing use to me and others who took time off to be at home.

Well...wife took the dog for a walk in the forest...and he found a corpse!

Apparently not that uncommon but yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »

He's still a Leinster fan though

A human corpse or a dead rabbit?

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    A human corpse or a dead rabbit?

Human. Police now at the scene with forensics. Wife a bit shocked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Not that uncommon?
    Thought you were in Switzerland not Japan!

kuang1 wrote: »
    Not that uncommon?
    Thought you were in Switzerland not Japan!

Relatively speaking. But the policeman said his dog had found a corpse once too. I’d say Japan is even safer than Switzerland.

Relatively speaking. But the policeman said his dog had found a corpse once too. I’d say Japan is even safer than Switzerland.

I think that's a reference to the forest in Japan where a lot of people go to take their own lives, and supposedly there's a lot of bodies about the place.

I hope your wife is OK, it can be quite harrowing. Even if you feel like its nothing at the time it can creep up

Human. Police now at the scene with forensics. Wife a bit shocked

If this turns out to be Victor Matfield I for one will be suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Stephen Rochford has resigned from Mayo. I was hoping he would stay on but perhaps it was time.

If this turns out to be Victor Matfield I for one will be suspicious.

Early reports suggest its a Mr J. Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

That's a wow from me!! Bloody hell that's a horrendous thing to encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Any Man U followers here?

Asking for a friend....a Liverpool one who is pìssing himself laughing!!

*not me...I follow the mighty Wolves*

• Advertisement

Any Man U followers here?

Asking for a friend....a Liverpool one who is pìssing himself laughing!!

*not me...I follow the mighty Wolves*

How long you supported Wolves?

3 weeks?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement