Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-02-2020, 16:32   #1
Xterminator

more nimbyism in Chapelizod ***Read Mod Note in OP***

"Residents seek injunction to stop work on Chapelizod social housing site"

I get so annoyed by this. i wonder how many of these same residents voted for a party that would address the housing issue, but are opposed to social housing near their homes.

Dying to see which of the local TDs are in their corner!

Mod Note 20/2 8:14pm

Folks over the last few days this thread has descended into a pit of social housing bashing/defending which has completely drowned out the original topic.

Rather than see the thread closed, please limit any new posts to matters directly relating to the proposed Chapelizod development.

Thanks

Last edited by Graham; 20-02-2020 at 20:19.
Advertisement
12-02-2020, 16:49   #2
Ray Palmer

How would you feel if 20% of an asset you own was lost? It would be useful if there was an article or report so people could see why they are objecting.

Coolock residents are rightly concerned with the plans for development there. Huge build to let apartments on the site of a former employer in the area.
Thanks from:
12-02-2020, 16:52   #3
jam_mac_jam

The houses are not going to drop 20% because some social housing is near.
12-02-2020, 16:54   #4
is_that_so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Palmer View Post
How would you feel if 20% of an asset you own was lost? It would be useful if there was an article or report so people could see why they are objecting.

Coolock residents are rightly concerned with the plans for development there. Huge build to let apartments on the site of a former employer in the area.
It's only assigned a value when want to sell, until then it's a home. Some of those concerned in Coolock would be living in former social housing that they bought. Just had a five storey go up beside me and another one of nine planned quite close by. I'm OK with both.
12-02-2020, 16:58   #5
Ray Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by is_that_so View Post
It's only assigned a value when want to sell, until then it's a home. Some of those concerned in Coolock would be living in former social housing that they bought. Just had a five storey go up beside me and another one of nine planned quite close by. I'm OK with both.
No it has a value straight away for any financing you might want. It doesn't matter when the loss is actually realised it is a permanent loss and mostly increase in monetary value if not a percentage value.

Just because you are OK with it doesn't mean other have to. You didn't understand the immediate effect that others would notice straight away.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-02-2020, 17:05   #6
Ray Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam_mac_jam View Post
The houses are not going to drop 20% because some social housing is near.
It has happened and will happen again.There are huge houses on the Ballymun road that are worth a lot less because of the name of the road. Meanwhile houses smaller and further along what is effectively the same road selling for 40% more. The residents have spent years trying to rename the road as a result.
12-02-2020, 17:45   #7
jam_mac_jam

Quote:
It has happened and will happen again.There are huge houses on the Ballymun road that are worth a lot less because of the name of the road. Meanwhile houses smaller and further along what is effectively the same road selling for 40% more. The residents have spent years trying to rename the road as a result.

There is no way the drop is that high.

So where do you build them then? Under the sea? On the moon?
12-02-2020, 18:53   #8
meijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam_mac_jam View Post
So where do you build them then? Under the sea? On the moon?
simple - NIMBY!!
(2) thanks from:
12-02-2020, 19:04   #9
is_that_so

Quote:
No it has a value straight away for any financing you might want. It doesn't matter when the loss is actually realised it is a permanent loss and mostly increase in monetary value if not a percentage value.

Just because you are OK with it doesn't mean other have to. You didn't understand the immediate effect that others would notice straight away.
No lack of understanding at all I just value it as a home and a place I am happy to live. When or if I sell it'll be to move to another home. I am also happy to welcome new people to the neighbourhood as it means they don't have to live in a field in a place they've never heard of.
Advertisement
12-02-2020, 20:20   #10
Caranica

Thread title says Chapelizod but discussion is about Coolock???
Thanks from:
12-02-2020, 20:36   #11
nox001

Would you like to love beside social housing? I certainly wouldn’t and would strongly object. Crap like this is why I’m glad to be living rurally and zero risk of any of this crap.
(2) thanks from:
12-02-2020, 20:37   #12
nox001

Would you like to live beside social housing? I certainly wouldn’t and would strongly object. Crap like this is why I’m glad to be living rurally and zero risk of any of this crap.
12-02-2020, 20:40   #13
Mongfinder General

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
Would you like to love beside social housing? I certainly wouldn’t and would strongly object. Crap like this is why I’m glad to be living rurally and zero risk of any of this crap.
Don't count your chickens. If the price is right the council may slam up a Lego set over night.
(2) thanks from:
12-02-2020, 20:44   #14
Varta

As I understand it the residents were promised a mix of social and affordable. Now it's 100% social. Lots of people renting apartments there would like to buy affordable. Doesn't seem fair to only build social.
12-02-2020, 20:48   #15
Eric Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varta View Post
As I understand it the residents were promised a mix of social and affordable. Now it's 100% social. Lots of people renting apartments there would like to buy affordable. Doesn't seem fair to only build social.
estate agents, development funds and builders are quickly discovering that 10% social is the absolute max and they have to be seperate units , theres even been sneaky attempts at doing 10% straight social and cluid etc.. buying another 10% , as soon as the bank valuers or often prospective buyers get whiff of it the valuations drop and the interest along with it.

Very very hard to get people to part with cash knowing the people beside them more than not don't work and got the house for 30 quid a week.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion