Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-02-2020, 12:32   #76
handlemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vriesmays View Post
How many of the dopes who were protesting for immigration a few years back are still renting in Dublin.
A little light here. What's your take ?
Advertisement
12-02-2020, 18:30   #77
Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
Non EU students pay massive fees, Universities massively benefit from then (and that knocks on to benefitting the country in general) so turning away their money would not be wise.
Why not? It's old but the all the damage these schools caused when they take the students money and then just close. Remember in 2015, 16 English language schools closed in one year? These schools were popping up to make a quick uck on the flood of students coming in.
https://www.thejournal.ie/english-la...85691-May2015/
Look, the economy was on the up. So, Fine Gael opened up the floodgates to these students to get cheap labour. Employment rate is high, so they said they'll open up visas to these students because these students are going to be our Au Pair's, they're going to clean toilets, wait tables, ride Tuk Tuks for pissed accountants at 3:00AM

Make no mistake, these Visas were dished out to bring in a cheap and very temporary labour force. Government will hit them with €300 per year to renew their Visas for 3 years on a stamp 2 visa. They must have €5000 in their account when applying for Visas the first time. A lot of South Americans sell all their belongings to come here on a Stamp 2. The cost of living here and the fact that they are students means they wont be sending money home. The little they get will be spent in the Irish economy.

The goverment probably expect most Irish people to buy houses but that's not the case. Irish people are being shafted with rental properties because of the high demand for rental properties - we're competing with thousands of students that just weren't here 7 years ago.

We live in the EU though. Why not rely on labour to come in from central and eastern Europe like it did in the early 00's? Oh... that's right, we wont get a cut of that sweet visa money. And, then when the economy goes tits-up again we can't garuntee these EU migrants will leave. At least with the rent a cheap labour-force visas, we can send them home after 3 years. It's genius, really.

It's clever and it keeps the country ticking over with labour and people paying taxes and stimulating the economy but it also contributes greatly to the homeless crisis and effects people like me that has a degree but can barely find a place to rent in the city I was born. I'm done with it.

If you want to pull that stunt, make sure there is enough rental accommadation. You give out 13,500 non EU visa (45% increase from 2013), make sure there's enough places for people to live otherwise rent goes up in insane levels. Was there a 45% increase in rental properties to go with that figure? I think not. That's not even accounting for EU migrants that just want to come and study Engluh or just move here for a job.

Just overstaturate the rental market, create a little homeless problem, but it's OK, we're making that visa dough.

Also, look how inequipped we are to get visa-renewal appointments? It's caused protests, because people cant book appointments to renew visas and not there are guys that made bots to auto-book slots and are selling the appointments online. IT's a joke and a scandal.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/soci...ting-1.4118468

Just know that the government wanted cheap labour and wasn't prepared to faciltate the influx of people. They wanted a quick buck and they let Irish people to suffer and students to suffer because of greed.

This is why our rents are high. Not because the landlords are all greedy (although, not discounting some of them because, not only are those politicians making dough off the visas but also the rental properties they own. This problem they created, profits them, very legally). It's supply and demand. The demand has far-exeeded the supply so the price goes up. Simple economics.
Thanks from:
12-02-2020, 19:42   #78
Saudades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquoise Hexagon Sun View Post
people are being shafted with rental properties because of the high demand for rental properties - we're competing with thousands of students that just weren't here 7 years ago.

At least with the rent a cheap labour-force visas, we can send them home after 3 years. It's genius, really.
I suspect therein lies the issue; when a non EU student's visa expires, how many are actually returning home?
Let's say a student visa expires, the state expects them to leave and they suddenly drop off of the official system, but they don't leave, so they don't free up their rental space, and a new student arrives here, and so the rental system is exasperated more than the state has officially documented for.
And this is ongoing for the last several years.
12-02-2020, 22:49   #79
Assetbacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudades View Post
I suspect therein lies the issue; when a non EU student's visa expires, how many are actually returning home?
Let's say a student visa expires, the state expects them to leave and they suddenly drop off of the official system, but they don't leave, so they don't free up their rental space, and a new student arrives here, and so the rental system is exasperated more than the state has officially documented for.
And this is ongoing for the last several years.
Go on Facebook and look at the rental groups for ads from those from poor countries in South America, Asia etc and you will see multiple beds crammed into a room. I would guess these are the people looking to avoid detection and living off the radar. A decent enough apartment for a couple, at a rent of €1400 in the city centre of Dublin could be split between four adults due to 2 sets of bunk beds in the place. It's sick.
14-02-2020, 15:36   #80
Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assetbacked View Post
Go on Facebook and look at the rental groups for ads from those from poor countries in South America, Asia etc and you will see multiple beds crammed into a room. I would guess these are the people looking to avoid detection and living off the radar. A decent enough apartment for a couple, at a rent of €1400 in the city centre of Dublin could be split between four adults due to 2 sets of bunk beds in the place. It's sick.
Yes, and some landlords and some tenants are abusing this. Tenants are subletting properties to others, where there are 4 adults in a room. They pay around €400 per bed per month. If the landlord isn't in on it, it screws them over - fire hazards and all that. If the landlord is in on it, why would he want to rent out a 1 bed apartment to a couple for 1200 when he can rent it out to Jose and friends for 1600?

By the way, I don't want to create any tension or ill will towards our South American friends. They didn't create this mess. Most of them come here to learn, work and contribute. It's our government that created the platform for these issues.

And as for the figures of people staying on after their visa expires? I don't have any estimates or figures for that. If I was to speculate, I would imagine it's a neglible amount. What I mean by that is, the figures/data we actually know that contribute to this overcrowing, speaks for itself. Those figures alone is enough to be outraged by.

And then thow in Project 2040... looks bleak.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion