Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-11-2019, 19:05   #1
Sussy

Rent

When will rent prices stop going up? How can people pay €2000 for a tiny place?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-11-2019, 19:10   #2
L1011

When supply increases or demand falls - or significant rent controls are put in place; but that would likely result in there just not being anywhere *to* rent.
28-11-2019, 19:38   #3
Sussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
When supply increases or demand falls - or significant rent controls are put in place; but that would likely result in there just not being anywhere *to* rent.
I read all this in the news years ago, but is just getting worst, the government saying they building enough so what is then? Immigration growing like this?
28-11-2019, 19:39   #4
Stop moaning ffs
Banned

Can never figure that out. Is it increased mortgage rates or just landlord greed?
Thanks from:
28-11-2019, 19:43   #5
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop moaning ffs View Post
Can never figure that out. Is it increased mortgage rates or just landlord greed?
Mortgage rates haven't gone up. Landlords are businesses (although many of them don't quite seem to realise that!), they will generally charge what the market can bear.

If that happens to be less than their costs, they can't just increase the price to make it so. This isn't the case now but things like mortgage rates have no direct input on rents (other than potential cases of sellups if unprofitable)
Advertisement
28-11-2019, 19:47   #6
Sussy

I think is greed. Also short term contracts and unfurnished properties on the rise on daft. Is absolutely out of control.
28-11-2019, 20:12   #7
DubCount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussy View Post
I read all this in the news years ago, but is just getting worst, the government saying they building enough so what is then? Immigration growing like this?
IMHO, its relating to the following issues:

1) Everyone wants somewhere to live, so changes in price does not decrease demand very much.

2) Government policy is reducing the supply of rental property. Rent controls and increasing regulation means the number of landlords and the number of rental properties is falling, even though rents are increasing.

3) Government policy refuses to address the difficulties in evicting non-paying, overholding or anti-social tenants. This increases the financial risk of being a landlord and that makes the prices charged more expensive.

4) Supply of property is not the same thing as supply of rental property. Much of the additional supply is going towards buy-to-own buyers. Not everyone can (or even wants to) buy-to-own. While the price of property to buy is stable, property to rent is still undersupplied relative to demand because of 2 and 3.

5) There are more votes in keeping the cost of buy-to-own property down, than addressing problems in the rental market. There is no political will to help, because making landlording attractive will mean more competition for buy-to-own buyers from landlord investors.
28-11-2019, 20:17   #8
L1011

Quote:
I think is greed. Also short term contracts and unfurnished properties on the rise on daft. Is absolutely out of control.
Unfurnished properties are the norm in many countries and indeed desirable for long-term tenancies. Return the house painted the same colour internally as it was when you leave and you can do whatever the hell you like in between basically.

Irish law makes fully unfurnished illegal as some kitchen devices must be provided.
(4) thanks from:
28-11-2019, 20:22   #9
Samuel T. Cogley

Quote:
When will rent prices stop going up? How can people pay €2000 for a tiny place?
It should be noted DAFT supplies data on asking rents, the actual RTB figures for current rents are lower. The figures bandied about in the media are DAFT's figures which are skewed by new entrants to the market.
Advertisement
28-11-2019, 20:26   #10
Sussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
Unfurnished properties are the norm in many countries and indeed desirable for long-term tenancies. Return the house painted the same colour internally as it was when you leave and you can do whatever the hell you like in between basically.

Irish law makes fully unfurnished illegal as some kitchen devices must be provided.
Sure is the norm in other counties, where the rent is affordable. If i need to buy furniture and transport it if the landlord change his mined, I expect the rent to be lower then a furnished property.
28-11-2019, 20:26   #11
nox001

Quote:
Why is it greed? The point of running a business is to make as much money as possible. Did you refuse the last pay rise your employer offered you because you didn’t want to be greedy?
28-11-2019, 20:29   #12
Samuel T. Cogley

Quote:
Sure is the norm in other counties, where the rent is affordable. If i need to buy furniture and transport it if the landlord change his mined, I expect the rent to be lower then a furnished property.
I'd be delighted to offer a discount on the rent for a German style letting of the shell someone commits to renting for ten years or whatever.
(3) thanks from:
28-11-2019, 21:04   #13
Ronaldinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
Why is it greed? The point of running a business is to make as much money as possible. Did you refuse the last pay rise your employer offered you because you didn’t want to be greedy?
Housing is a special case though. We all need to live somewhere. It's not something any of us can really do without - although obviously some do....
(2) thanks from:
28-11-2019, 21:19   #14
DubCount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldinho View Post
Housing is a special case though. We all need to live somewhere. It's not something any of us can really do without - although obviously some do....
Food is also a special case - we all need to eat. Lets go to Tesco and tell them to stop making money out of our basic right to eat.

If you genuinely want to reduce rents, provide quickie evictions for any tenant with 3 months arears, or proof of antisocial behaviour.
28-11-2019, 21:20   #15
Curious1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel T. Cogley View Post
I'd be delighted to offer a discount on the rent for a German style letting of the shell someone commits to renting for ten years or whatever.
we have a Deal!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion