Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
28-11-2019, 18:35   #61
Curious1002
Registered User
 
Curious1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudades View Post
Did the landlord register you with PRTB?

I find it disturbing that a father and son own 65 Dublin apartments between them but don't have lease agreements in place (unless your apartment is of the minority).
Or is it student accommodation?

And quite shocking that the landlord is collecting rent by cash for 50% of 65 Dublin apartments. A Dublin apartment goes for at least €1,000 a month, so he's collecting at least €32,000 a month in cash?

This sounds like a massive operation that the media, PRTB, and especially Revenue would all be very interested in.
I could play dirty and report the dealings to Revenue. That's actually something that I have to think about. Someone told me that I can play this dirty card in exchange to stay in here. That might be true. But I really want to do progress with this case fairly even though i deal with a shady business.

Do you all suggest me to write to Revenue?
Curious1002 is offline  
Advertisement
28-11-2019, 18:36   #62
Curious1002
Registered User
 
Curious1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by davindub View Post
One case that will be relevant for you is Duniyva in the HC, the LL was successful but the judge did make remarks about the meaning of requires for family member.
Thanks very much, mate!
Curious1002 is offline  
28-11-2019, 18:43   #63
Curious1002
Registered User
 
Curious1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudades View Post
Did the landlord register you with PRTB?

I find it disturbing that a father and son own 65 Dublin apartments between them but don't have lease agreements in place (unless your apartment is of the minority).
Or is it student accommodation?

And quite shocking that the landlord is collecting rent by cash for 50% of 65 Dublin apartments. A Dublin apartment goes for at least €1,000 a month, so he's collecting at least €32,000 a month in cash?

This sounds like a massive operation that the media, PRTB, and especially Revenue would all be very interested in.
Yes, my dwelling got registered a few months after I moved in. RTB has the wrong start date and wrong number of rooms though, tried to straighten this up but they said that the landlord himself has to correct it.

I also checked if all apts are registered on PRTB and i saw only 7 out of 30 that are registered. Don't know again if I should play dirty and report this to PRTB or leave it and play fair.

I am really freaking struggling here. You want to do the right thing and be fair yet the LL doesnt play fair with you and God knows, he might bring up some fake stuff at the hearing that I wont have a defense for. I started to read some crazy sh*t how people lie in courts and produce some super fake docs. I really hope this will not be the case for me though. The more I think about it the more I consider hiring a prof. attorney.

Last edited by Curious1002; 28-11-2019 at 19:57.
Curious1002 is offline  
28-11-2019, 19:42   #64
terrydel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious1002 View Post
I could play dirty and report the dealings to Revenue. That's actually something that I have to think about. Someone told me that I can play this dirty card in exchange to stay in here. That might be true. But I really want to do progress with this case fairly even though i deal with a shady business.

Do you all suggest me to write to Revenue?
Well if he's 30+ properties that are not registered with the rtb he's breaking the law big time, so it's not much of a reach to think he's also not fully open and transparent with revenue. He deserves to be found out if that's what he's at.
terrydel is offline  
(2) thanks from:
29-11-2019, 06:38   #65
fash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varik View Post
The prior failed notices will be ignored. All that matters is the current one, and whether the family need is valid and the notice was too.
That is not correct. The previous incidents are facts material to whether the current notice is given in good faith (and valid) or not and instead used as a ruse/penalty.

Furthermore, by disputing, either the tenant is correct (and the tenant stays) or even if the tenant is incorrect, the dispute resolution process will likely result in delay to being removed from the apartment.
fash is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-11-2019, 06:51   #66
fash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrydel View Post
Well if he's 30+ properties that are not registered with the rtb he's breaking the law big time, so it's not much of a reach to think he's also not fully open and transparent with revenue. He deserves to be found out if that's what he's at.
Personally I think it is fair enough to suggest to revenue that they may be interested in investigating the matter. Aside from the fact that the LL is acting in a vindictive manner (he started this war etc.), in addition, it is the law that these taxes are paid/he is taking money rightfully beginning to other tax payers etc.
fash is offline  
(2) thanks from:
29-11-2019, 08:25   #67
nox001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 22,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fash View Post
Personally I think it is fair enough to suggest to revenue that they may be interested in investigating the matter. Aside from the fact that the LL is acting in a vindictive manner (he started this war etc.), in addition, it is the law that these taxes are paid/he is taking money rightfully beginning to other tax payers etc.
How do you know he isn’t paying tax? The usual ant-LL bull assumptions in here as usual.
nox001 is offline  
29-11-2019, 10:20   #68
terrydel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by fash View Post
Personally I think it is fair enough to suggest to revenue that they may be interested in investigating the matter. Aside from the fact that the LL is acting in a vindictive manner (he started this war etc.), in addition, it is the law that these taxes are paid/he is taking money rightfully beginning to other tax payers etc.
Totally agree.
terrydel is offline  
Thanks from:
29-11-2019, 10:24   #69
terrydel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
How do you know he isn’t paying tax? The usual ant-LL bull assumptions in here as usual.
Boohoo poor landlords. That's the usual in here.
Why can the likes of you not even except that it's a decent possibility that someone who doesn't register over 30 properties with the necessary organisation as they are legally obliged to do so, is then much more likely to be the type of person who would also not register them with revenue in terms of declaring the income from them? People who break and flaunt one law are much more likely to flaunt another. And the financial incentive to avoiding revenue is huge of you get away with it.
terrydel is offline  
Advertisement
29-11-2019, 10:34   #70
Graham
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 11,357
Mod Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious1002 View Post
I could play dirty and report the dealings to Revenue. That's actually something that I have to think about. Someone told me that I can play this dirty card in exchange to stay in here.
Please let me know if you are suggesting blackmail and I'll issue the appropriate forum ban immediately.

Take the taxation discussions to the appropriate forum.

Do not respond to this post.
Graham is offline  
29-11-2019, 10:45   #71
nox001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 22,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrydel View Post
Boohoo poor landlords. That's the usual in here.
Why can the likes of you not even except that it's a decent possibility that someone who doesn't register over 30 properties with the necessary organisation as they are legally obliged to do so, is then much more likely to be the type of person who would also not register them with revenue in terms of declaring the income from them? People who break and flaunt one law are much more likely to flaunt another. And the financial incentive to avoiding revenue is huge of you get away with it.
How do you know they aren’t registered? Some wishy washy claims from op with no evidence? You how no idea if they are registered is the truth, the RTB website is very unreliable and not to be taken as fact.

I can see small LL taking a chance with tax but if this LL really owns a very large number of properties there is simply no way he/she is not declaring the income. They may keep a bit for themselves like everyone who can do does but they will definitely be declaring the bulk of not all of it, it would be just impossible to get away with it when running a business of the size claimed by the op.
nox001 is offline  
Thanks from:
29-11-2019, 11:03   #72
Curious1002
Registered User
 
Curious1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Mod Note

Please let me know if you are suggesting blackmail and I'll issue the appropriate forum ban immediately.

Take the taxation discussions to the appropriate forum.

Do not respond to this post.

Curious1002 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
29-11-2019, 11:12   #73
terrydel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
How do you know they aren’t registered? Some wishy washy claims from op with no evidence? You how no idea if they are registered is the truth, the RTB website is very unreliable and not to be taken as fact.

I can see small LL taking a chance with tax but if this LL really owns a very large number of properties there is simply no way he/she is not declaring the income. They may keep a bit for themselves like everyone who can do does but they will definitely be declaring the bulk of not all of it, it would be just impossible to get away with it when running a business of the size claimed by the op.
As usual you refuse to address the point I made.
Because it doesnt suit your deluded narrative that all landlords, even ones likes this that already breaking the law in a serious manner, are saints.

You say they will definitely be declaring the bulk (which is not all and still breaking the law), how do you know this? Prove it. I never made a definitive statement like that, I said they are more likely to break one law if breaking another. You are the one stating as fact what you cant prove. I can tell you are struggling so I'll leave you alone.

Last edited by terrydel; 29-11-2019 at 11:16.
terrydel is offline  
Thanks from:
29-11-2019, 11:14   #74
dennyk
Registered User
 
dennyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
How do you know he isn’t paying tax? The usual ant-LL bull assumptions in here as usual.
It's not the OP's job to know, it's their job to report their suspicions to Revenue and let Revenue investigate to determine the truth of the matter. There are few if any legitimate reasons why a landlord who has a functioning bank account would encourage or demand cash payments from tenants; compared to a bank transfer, cash is a much bigger hassle to deal with, far less secure, and less traceable, which is a disadvantage for both the landlord and the tenant...that is, unless the landlord has some vested interest in not having a reliable record of those payments, of course. It's not a sure thing that it's tax evasion; the landlord could be trying to hide assets for some other reason, or they could be trying to avoid having a clear record of rent amounts or payments to make it harder for tenants to challenge illegal rent increases or make it easier to attempt an eviction for bogus arrears (the lack of a written lease also lends weight to that possibility). Tax fraud is a potential reason as well, though, and makes the landlord's behaviour worth reporting to Revenue.
dennyk is offline  
(2) thanks from:
29-11-2019, 11:25   #75
Curious1002
Registered User
 
Curious1002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
How do you know they aren’t registered? Some wishy washy claims from op with no evidence? You how no idea if they are registered is the truth, the RTB website is very unreliable and not to be taken as fact.
...and how do people report a crime if they havent seen the actual act of crime? They do it because they join the dots - if they hear shouting, then a big bang, then they see somebody's running away and then they find drops of blood (I am a big fan of crime stories by the way) - so yes, they are rightly to assume that something serious must have happened.

The same goes for reporting a potential fraud / tax evasion - you have your own experience of paying cash to LL, you talk to the neighbours who dont have the courage to ask LL for his bank details (or they did but he ignored the requests), you can't find 75% of LLs apts on the RTB reg list, then you see how nasty the LL plays the field on your own experience = thats how you join the dots that things are very fishy here.

Do you think that in the era of GDPR you will get confirmation from Revenue or RTB that your landlord pays taxes or registered all his apts correctly? All that people can do is to ask the correct body to check this out and state why you are concerned providing evidence you have or don't have.

I have my LL's bank account details as I pay my rent via bank transfer. I asked Threshold if I could simply give these details to my neighbours as we, of course, have the same landlord and Threshold said that LL could SUE me for sharing his details with my neighbours. Dont you think it's ridiculous?
Curious1002 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet