Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-11-2019, 13:09   #31
Curious1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by 171170 View Post
Contact Threshold or the Mercy Law Centre and they should have that info. to hand.
Super, I will do that now.
Advertisement
28-11-2019, 13:21   #32
Fol20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious1002 View Post
You please tell me. Can they kick somebody out just to have a place for the girl 1 day a month?
The ll will not be stupid enough to say his daughter needs it for 1 day a month. The onus would be on you to prove that she is there 1 day a month.
28-11-2019, 13:28   #33

He screwed himself by trying to use both loopholes available. The first notice being invalid will also look bad.

Take him to dispute, he's going to lose and it will be at least a 4 figure payday for you. Make sure you have all the documentation. It will take a while. Dont move or go anywhere, he's obviously a chancer who will probably try even more questionable tactics and dig himself a deeper hole. Had a LL serve me invalid notice, then change the locks. He had to pay me what was the equivalent of 3 months rent in the end when the case was finished.
(3) thanks from:
28-11-2019, 13:28   #34
Curious1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fol20 View Post
The ll will not be stupid enough to say his daughter needs it for 1 day a month. The onus would be on you to prove that she is there 1 day a month.
It will be reasonably easy to prove that. I won't share details in case their team reads on the tread.
28-11-2019, 13:39   #35
Curious1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Tired View Post
He screwed himself by trying to use both loopholes available. The first notice being invalid will also look bad.

Take him to dispute, he's going to lose and it will be at least a 4 figure payday for you. Make sure you have all the documentation. It will take a while. Dont move or go anywhere, he's obviously a chancer who will probably try even more questionable tactics and dig himself a deeper hole.
Agree and all points taken. I actually write down all the superb ideas you all share with me. I would have never thought about half of them as I am completely new to this sh*ty situation.
The whole case will look very bad on him but I bet his solicitor will claim that the poor LL (even though having 30-years of experience working as landlord in a property business and owning such huge number of apts) didn't know he served the first invalid notice claiming the need of renovations.
I will go to the final Tribunal stage if needed only to have his and his son's names published and I will expose them in public for the misery they cause. I already found 1 similar case against them, but I am absolutely sure there are people who got pushed out from their apts and they never sought help. My neighbours tell me how every 6 months he comes for more cash and threatens then with eviction. This man is insatiable and soo freaking wrong!

Last edited by Curious1002; 28-11-2019 at 13:54.
Advertisement
28-11-2019, 13:45   #36

Dont worry about needing anyone there with you. I was by myself, was a student at the time, there was 2 men who were LLs and the estate agent so 3 older men vs me on my own and it was fine, because what will happen is these chancers will hang themselves, they are never as clever as they think and any efforts to be slick or deceptive the tribunal will see through it easily.

Like they tried to say they had come to the house and the door was lying open so they changed the locks to 'secure the house'. after serving an invalid notice. With all my stuff still inside. They were then asked that if they werent trying to lock the tenant out and were just trying to secure the house, why didn't they give me a key to the new lock? Once they admitted they didnt give me the new key the case was cut and dry.

The best part was, the original ruling was an award of low 3 figures. The thicko dug his heels in and didnt want to pay, so he appealed it. When the result for the appeal came in, I was awarded almost 4 times what was in the original ruling as the original adjudicator hadn't realized the length of time he kept my possessions locked in the house, and other details came to light which were even worse but I wont go into that here.

Get the ball rolling ASAP as the process can take a while.
(3) thanks from:
28-11-2019, 13:59   #37
Varik

The prior failed notices will be ignored. All that matters is the current one, and whether the family need is valid and the notice was too.
(2) thanks from:
28-11-2019, 14:04   #38
Curious1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Tired View Post
Dont worry about needing anyone there with you. I was by myself, was a student at the time, there was 2 men who were LLs and the estate agent so 3 older men vs me on my own and it was fine, because what will happen is these chancers will hang themselves, they are never as clever as they think and any efforts to be slick or deceptive the tribunal will see through it easily.

Like they tried to say they had come to the house and the door was lying open so they changed the locks to 'secure the house'. after serving an invalid notice. With all my stuff still inside. They were then asked that if they werent trying to lock the tenant out and were just trying to secure the house, why didn't they give me a key to the new lock? Once they admitted they didnt give me the new key the case was cut and dry.

The best part was, the original ruling was an award of low 3 figures. The thicko dug his heels in and didnt want to pay, so he appealed it. When the result for the appeal came in, I was awarded almost 4 times what was in the original ruling as the original adjudicator hadn't realized the length of time he kept my possessions locked in the house, and other details came to light which were even worse but I wont go into that here.

Get the ball rolling ASAP as the process can take a while.
Yep, you went though hell yourself! Great job for kicking back and having balls to face them all while being on your own.
All I wanted is to be left alone, pay my rent, pay the 4% increase every year and live happily ever after. Yet the LL's greed is stronger than the current legislation, ethics and morality. Funny that I ever thought that my LL was a cool guy. Now I look like a total tool for sending him a nice email 2 years ago thanking for being the best LL I have ever dealt with. I bet they will use that email at the hearing.

Can you tell me if I should slightly wait with opening the dispute with RTB (I still have 3 weeks before deadline) to buy some time and put my case together or maybe i should file it e.g. next Monday?
I just scheduled a FLAC appointment for next Wednesday so i would prefer to file the case once i know all the details what i should/should not include.

Last edited by Curious1002; 28-11-2019 at 14:33.
28-11-2019, 14:06   #39
Curious1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varik View Post
The prior failed notices will be ignored. All that matters is the current one, and whether the family need is valid and the notice was too.

If I dont show the previous invalid notices and conversations, how otherwise can you prove the LL's history / campaign of vindictive conduct towards me and his regular attempts to push me out?

Last edited by Curious1002; 28-11-2019 at 14:18.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-11-2019, 14:33   #40
Dav010

Op, were you given a notice in writing of a 75% increase or was it verbal? If verbal then the first notice you received was the refurbishment and as this was invalid and not acted apon, no offence took place. You were subsequently given a valid notice with statutory declaration, that is the one the LL will be acting on when his daughter moves in. If she moves in and stays the required time, what grounds is there for dispute? If she moves out before the required time, the LL can offer it back to you.
Thanks from:
28-11-2019, 14:37   #41
Curious1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
Op, were you given a notice in writing of a 75% increase or was it verbal? If verbal then the first notice you received was the refurbishment and as this was invalid and not acted apon, no offence took place. You were subsequently given a valid notice with statutory declaration, that is the one the LL will be acting on when his daughter moves in. If she moves in and stays the required time, what grounds is there for dispute? If she moves out before the required time, the LL can offer it back to you.

All conversations were recorded I say all, leading to the first and second notices. They are not nice, I can tell you that.
28-11-2019, 14:41   #42
Dav010

Quote:
All conversations were recorded I say all, leading to the first and second notices. They are not nice, I can tell you that.
Yes but a notice of rent review must be in writing, verbal has no standing. The offence only arises if the LL acts on an invalid notice. See part 74 of the RTA. It is not an offence to give someone verbal notice, it is an offence to act on it.

He told you he was raising rent, but he didn’t raise rent because it was invalid. That isn’t an offence under the Act.

You can check with RTB if the notice you received is valid, but if it is, an offence hasn’t occurred unless the daughter doesn’t move in or re-let’s it.

Last edited by Dav010; 28-11-2019 at 14:47.
28-11-2019, 14:46   #43
Curious1002

Quote:
Yes but a notice of rent review must be in writing, verbal has no standing. The offence only arises if the LL acts on an invalid notice. See part 74 of the RTA. It is not an offence to give someone verbal notice, it is an offence to act on it.
sure, but thanks to these recorded conversations i have a proof of his clear motive and 8 months long campaign of pushing me out.
28-11-2019, 14:49   #44
Dav010

Quote:
sure, but thanks to these recorded conversations i have a proof of his clear motive and 8 months long campaign of pushing me out.
I’m not arguing your point, I have no doubt that the account you have given has only one outcome in mind, to move a tenant out because he wants more rent. But, if his daughter does move in, and the LL has served/filed a valid termination, there may not be much you can do. You have a recording of conversations which will clearly show that the LL did not serve you with a notice of rent increase, the RTB states that without that written notice, there is no notice and it wasn’t acted on, your rent wasn’t raised.
(2) thanks from:
28-11-2019, 14:53   #45
Curious1002

Quote:
what about moving her in to any of the empty identical apts in the same development?
or
what about the LL's lack of attempts to offer me a substitute apt while there are or will be empty soon.

This is really NOT a clean cut case when 1 LL has only 1 apt and exercises his right to move in his daughter, therefore a tenant has to go. The LL has plenty of apts which he doesnt want to offer any to me even though they are or will be empty the same month I am required to go.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion