Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-01-2020, 11:26   #16
smelly sock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greater dane View Post
I see what you're saying but get out and go...where? Nowhere is perfect, most places have traffic issues or crime issues or infrastructure issues and on and on and on. And everywhere that you can commute to the city centre from is "overpriced". Maynooth has a lot going for it and as first time buyers who don't earn monster money, we're pretty excited to live there.
How much did you spend? The market is crazy in maynooth. Id have thought a decent salary was a must.
Advertisement
26-01-2020, 14:50   #17
L1011

Students are being priced out of rental in most estates; so that problem is ebbing away.
26-01-2020, 15:04   #18
smelly sock

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
Students are being priced out of rental in most estates; so that problem is ebbing away.
5 of them in a 3 bed splitting it is helping them.

I know of some 3 bed where there are 7 of them sharing.

Parklands, silkenvale, moyglare abbey / hall / village, newtown hall amongst other have their fair share of them. Whereas traditionally parklands, silkenvale, moyglare hall wouldnt have had.

Last edited by smelly sock; 26-01-2020 at 15:09.
27-01-2020, 22:44   #19
wheresthebeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greater dane View Post
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated! We're very much sold on Maynooth as a town, I grew up nearby and my husband now works at the university so we know the area very well. Neither of us will be commuting by car so traffic issues don't put us off. It's the price tag on the Mariavilla homes that's giving us pause, but from what you've said it sounds like they're worth it. It makes a big difference to hear from someone who's living there and happy.
As regards price, we looked at a few places around North Kildare/West Dublin and were only looking at new builds in order to qualify for HTB and benefit from A rated BER. There was maybe 10k in the difference between Lucan (Adamstown) and Maynooth for new builds. Maynooth is a much nicer town with character, facilities etc... If you want a new build, I think Mariavilla is good value for money to be honest. I cant see us having many students at the prices being charged. Have prices for phase 2 been announced yet?
27-01-2020, 22:47   #20
wheresthebeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelly sock View Post
How much did you spend? The market is crazy in maynooth. Id have thought a decent salary was a must.
You'd want a combined salary of 100k to purchase without an exemption, unless you have a ton of savings to offset. 3 beds selling for €370-385k depending on aspect/semi/terrace and 4 beds for €480k. Needless to say, 4 beds are selling slower. 3 beds sold out rapidly.
Advertisement
13-02-2020, 10:05   #21
Aelun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresthebeef View Post
We moved in on December 10th. The estate is really well finished and is lovely and quiet. We've met most of our neighbours and theres a good community spirit already.
Houses are well finished with significant tiling to bathrooms and kitchens fully kitted with all appliances except washer/dryer. The electrical spec is really good with plenty of sockets, TV points and data cables and pre-world for intruder alarm. Great use of space and lots of storage. Our houses have solar panels, but I hear on the grapevine that phase 2 are getting air to water heat pumps (I'm just a bit jealous). Gardens are small but adequate and include a paved patio area. Insulation and head retention is good, thermostats fitted are smart enabled and can be hooked up to an app for out of home control. Virgin media is your only option for broadband for the foreseeable but the estate is wired for their new fibre network and we're getting speeds in excess of the 500mbps we are paying for. Theres a small management fee of €240 a year for upkeep of green areas, playgrounds and some shared lanes for access to back of mid terrace houses.
Some folks (ourselves included) had minor plumbing issues a few weeks after moving in, resulting in Cairn coming out to do minor remedial works. The customer service team are very helpful and will sort out any defects for 12 months after sale in addition to usual Homebond guarantees and other extended warranties like appliances (2 years) and boiler (5years). Our house was at the top of our budget also, but we're glad we went for Maynooth as it's a great town.
Traffic going through the main street can be rough at peak times, but I work in Dublin direction and the estate is located on the northeast side so you can slip down the old N4 to leixlip interchange and join the M4 at exit 6. The estate is a stone's throw to Carton Park where you have Tesco Extra, Heatons/Brandmax, Boots, the Range, post office, butchers etc...
If you've any other specific questions, I'm happy to answer them. Good luck with your house hunt!
Sorry to bring up a old thread, girlfriend and myself are looking at phase 2 of Mariavilla.

@wheresthebeef - Just a couple of question if you don't mind...What way do the bathrooms come, are they partially tiled or just shower area etc? Is there a patch panel in the utility room where the internal cat6 cabling comes back? I presume bins are separate and need to be managed by yourself?

Thanks in advance.
14-02-2020, 08:02   #22
wheresthebeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelun View Post
Sorry to bring up a old thread, girlfriend and myself are looking at phase 2 of Mariavilla.

@wheresthebeef - Just a couple of question if you don't mind...What way do the bathrooms come, are they partially tiled or just shower area etc? Is there a patch panel in the utility room where the internal cat6 cabling comes back? I presume bins are separate and need to be managed by yourself?

Thanks in advance.
The tiling is as per the show house, I'd you've seen it. So floors, showers and walls all tiled fully in en-suite and main bathroom with a nice large cream tile. Downstairs toilet floor is tiled.

Theres a blanking plate in utility, behind it are 5 unterminated Cat6 cables that go to - Dining room wall next to TV point, Living room next to TV point, Main Bedroom next to TV point, Alarm panel intended location, inside hot press. Unfortunately you have to get cables terminated yourself. Took about 30 minutes to do with an electrician. Broadband is limited to Virgin Media at the moment as Eir have not installed lines yet. However the Virgin Media product is their new Fibre to the home which is giving speeds of 450-520Mbps. Picture attached of our utility room wall.

Bins are indeed your own business. Serviced by AES and Thorntons. We went with AES because they provide a glass recycling bin which saves you making trips to bottle bank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200214-075736_Gallery.jpg (809.4 KB, 107 views)
14-02-2020, 19:39   #23
Aelun

Quote:
The tiling is as per the show house, I'd you've seen it. So floors, showers and walls all tiled fully in en-suite and main bathroom with a nice large cream tile. Downstairs toilet floor is tiled.

Theres a blanking plate in utility, behind it are 5 unterminated Cat6 cables that go to - Dining room wall next to TV point, Living room next to TV point, Main Bedroom next to TV point, Alarm panel intended location, inside hot press. Unfortunately you have to get cables terminated yourself. Took about 30 minutes to do with an electrician. Broadband is limited to Virgin Media at the moment as Eir have not installed lines yet. However the Virgin Media product is their new Fibre to the home which is giving speeds of 450-520Mbps. Picture attached of our utility room wall.

Bins are indeed your own business. Serviced by AES and Thorntons. We went with AES because they provide a glass recycling bin which saves you making trips to bottle bank.
Thanks for detailed reply, really appreciated..Didn't realise you get that much tiling included, that's a decent help towards costs. How are you finding the commute to Dublin from that location?
15-02-2020, 11:58   #24
wheresthebeef

Quote:
Thanks for detailed reply, really appreciated..Didn't realise you get that much tiling included, that's a decent help towards costs. How are you finding the commute to Dublin from that location?
No bother. If you've any other questions give me a shout. To be fair the spec is top notch. Kitchens and appliances, tiling, data cabling really sold it for us as well as the clever use of every inch of space.

I dont work in Dublin thankfully. 10 minute drive to work. Most of the neighbours go by train and find it ok if you get the train that starts in Maynooth. Takes about 45 mins I think.

If you decide to purchase, theres a Facebook Group for the estate.
Advertisement
15-02-2020, 12:04   #25
smelly sock

It depends what part of the city you are in via train. Door step to desk its around 90 minutes each way. A poxy commute.
15-02-2020, 12:07   #26
smelly sock

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelly sock View Post
It depends what part of the city you are in via train. Door step to desk its around 90 minutes each way. A poxy commute.
That's stephens green.
20-02-2020, 15:16   #27
wheresthebeef

The show houses are open this Saturday.
23-02-2020, 10:49   #28
Aelun

Quote:
The show houses are open this Saturday.
Thanks for the info so far....Took the plunge and got the house we wanted! All going well, we should be getting keys around May time...How did you find the snagging, anything in particular to look out for?
23-02-2020, 15:14   #29
wheresthebeef

Quote:
Thanks for the info so far....Took the plunge and got the house we wanted! All going well, we should be getting keys around May time...How did you find the snagging, anything in particular to look out for?
Congrats! Snagging was grand. We got a professional snagger like most of our neighbours, all of them found it hard to find much for their lists. Our guy remarked it was the shortest list he'd done in a long time. Of the problems people have had since moving in, plumbing is the one recurring issue. Small leaks, one or two problems with heating. We had a leaky radiator which we discovered as our floors were going down, Cairn had a plumber over in 15 minutes so cant fault them. Anyone who has had any sort of issue has got a good response from Cairn.
Time to start shopping for floors and furniture now :-)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion